Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

RE: Low light shooting --- Looking for Off Shoe Auto Assist

Hi,

I do a lot of Club Photography and I am looking for an external cable for the K20 that is similar to Nikon's SC-29 TTL cable. The issue is that the autofocus cannot focus in the low light. This has has nothing to do with ISO, Flash compensation, etc. I'm just looking for something that boosts the strength of the IR signal so that I can focus in low light. I understand that I need to use a bracket with the K20 to achieve this.

Thanks,

Joe

PS I just wanted to emphasize that i need an AF assist similar to the Nikon SC-29 TTL Cable to make my case----nothing personal.

06-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon cable has an AF assist lamp built into the cable (hot shoe end) end. Pentax does not make any cables like this. Are you looking for the flash to assist you with focus? Then just put the flash on the camera shoe (AF360 or AF540) and use them as the AF assist lamp.

Btw, what lenses are you using? I've used some fast primes and zooms in some aweful light and can still lock focus without the flash.
06-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The Nikon cable has an AF assist lamp built into the cable (hot shoe end) end. Pentax does not make any cables like this. Are you looking for the flash to assist you with focus? Then just put the flash on the camera shoe (AF360 or AF540) and use them as the AF assist lamp.

Btw, what lenses are you using? I've used some fast primes and zooms in some aweful light and can still lock focus without the flash.
Hi Yousuf,

Thank you for your response. I'm using the Pentax 16-50 2.8 lens. I believe that I was using the AF assist off of the flash of the AF-540 FGZ flash because I could see a broad IR pattern.

Just to test it out, I set the flash in SB mode and went in my bathroom and closed the door (near total darkness conditions). I could focus, but the flash wouldn't fire in SB mode. Is that the purpose of SB mode---use the flashes AF but not fire?

I've talked to a number of other Nightclub photogs and they have this same problem whether they're using Canon's or Nikon's. What's funny is that the non-dslr's seem to work fine in these conditions.

-Joe
06-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Joe.
As far as I know, the cam should fire fine despite flash being in SB mode. What flash settings did you have your K20D on?

P&S cams have much wider DOF and a smaller focusing range to have to scan through to lock focus. The 16-50 has a reasonably small focus throw also, but it may find it hard with moving targets in low light. Stopped down a little, it should manage getting sharp images.

06-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Joe.
As far as I know, the cam should fire fine despite flash being in SB mode. What flash settings did you have your K20D on?

P&S cams have much wider DOF and a smaller focusing range to have to scan through to lock focus. The 16-50 has a reasonably small focus throw also, but it may find it hard with moving targets in low light. Stopped down a little, it should manage getting sharp images.
Hi,

Here are the camera settings:

Flash Mode --- Flash On
White Balance --- Flash
ISO --- 400

Manual Focus
AF.C
Spot metering

I'm new to Pentax, so my bet is that I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

-Joe
06-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being in SB mode means no flash.
You want flash, you must turn the mode to P-TTL or Auto or M mode.

If the camera's not taking the photo, then:
Do you have a MF lens mounted with AF.C mode selected?

If so, turn to MF mode as the cam is finding it hard to fix focus and won't let you fire until it fixes.
06-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Being in SB mode means no flash.
You want flash, you must turn the mode to P-TTL or Auto or M mode.

If the camera's not taking the photo, then:
Do you have a MF lens mounted with AF.C mode selected?

If so, turn to MF mode as the cam is finding it hard to fix focus and won't let you fire until it fixes.
Hi!

Thanks. That's kind of what I figured after a while. I'm using the Pentax 16-50 2.8 lens. This brings me back to not being able to focus in low light (club type) photography.

-Joe

06-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My best low-light focus combo was the K100D w/Sigma 17-70. Haven't found anything as good with the K20D and I've got some decent lenses. This is something I hope Pentax has improved with the K7. Early indications are that low-light focus is miles ahead of where we are now. My fingers are crossed...
06-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you do a lot of "club" photography with a K10 or k20 it may be worth taking a look at this guys video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEmufNi70w

I don't agree with everything he says but there are some good thoughts
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, Chris (Codiac 2600) does a lot of bar shooting and, if I'm not mistaken, posted a short tutorial on the subject.
06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
RE: Thanks

Hi All,

Thanksfor the tips. I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested getting a small led flashlight and taping it to the flash. This way the AF assist on the flash will have more light and should be able to focus. I'm gonna give that a shot this weekend. If it works with a flash, it should also work without one. his solution does make sense 'cause I saw some video guys shooting. They have these "lights" mounted on their video cameras.

Wish me luck!

-Joe