Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #16
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
stupid virginia tax thing mike. it will let me get to a certain point and that's it. no further. and it won't tell me what i'm doing wrong. i really hate this crap. i guess this is why i haven't done it yet.

07-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

What is the error you are getting Mel?

When I did it, I got hung up on the page asking about the types of taxes (btw, you don't count as an employee so don't select either "withholding" option). Even though I had selected the "Sales and Use Tax" option, it kept throwing an error and kept saying I had to select at least one kind of tax . I tried over and over and eventually just gave up and saved the draft of where I was. When I went back in a little while later it took me to that same page and went thru like a charm.

I think their site gets a little wonky, so if something lke that is whats happening, save your session and then log off and back on.

Mike
07-11-2009, 04:35 AM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah i figured it out. it's all in what you check at one point then fill in information at another. if you do it one way it won't work for "reality." it's looking for something specific. so the key is do NOT answer the questions based on their face value of what the words are asking, but rather based on what they are vaguely implying in a tax scenario and is not defined in any place easily accessible within, say, a month of searching for an explanation.

so it's done. on to the next step. lol
07-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #19
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
photophile - what kind of photography have you done on the schedule and has it been mostly local or has travel been involved.

mike - brad knows a guy who has forgotten more about gsa scheduling and government contracts than most people will ever know. there might be a possibility that we could pick his brain on how to go about getting on this efficiently and with the least problems ifyou're interested. it would probably involve having to buy him a decent dinner or something. interested?

07-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #20

GSA Schedule

Mike:

Its a major pain-in-the-you-know-what to get a GSA Schedule, which is why we needed help to get it. Also why only a weird subset, and not every photographer in the country.

Maxwell:

There are 46 Photographers on GSA Schedule (see list at GSA eLibrary Schedule Details) , not the two that you saw, but either way, not many of us. Demand is there, but with only 46 photographers nationally, competition is light.

Its been a busy year as you might imagine, with a new administration replacing personnel, and replacing the messaging that the last administration had in place. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm enjoying it for now.

Phil
07-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sounds good to me Mel... This does appear to be an incredible opportunity that you've tumbled onto.
07-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Looks like a thin field of competition. .... This might be something good to do as a CO-OP Mel, especially if we could draw photographers from around the country.

Mike
I am NOT a professional photographer, just a nothing amateur. However as a systems software architect that regularly leads $100M to $1B+ DoD proposals, there are a couple of items that I would like to toss in.

A high number of RFP's (Request for Proposals) require the use of small business. The CO-OP idea has merit, especially if you can find a woman, who is also a veteran - double positive, in terms of the business. The other thing, is to build on your background - what distinguishing capabilities do you have - any one in the reserves with a security clearance? That would be a plus. Do you currently have a job that requires a bond? Another possible plus. Electronic background with EMI certification (handling very electrically sensitive electronic assemblies), another differential. There are quite a few of these background activities that could be used to pull in business in this area.

The other thing, is that with the GSA list - if you are able to capture business of which you are only able to perform part of it, use the list to farm out the rest - just remember to price that in up front on the bid, so that your not shortchanged, when you are all done.

Just a few ideas....

07-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, as a long time government contractor, let me just say to think long and hard before you go down this road. There's a reason things cost so much in the government, and it's all the paperwork and PITA that it takes. If I had a small business, I don't think I'd be looking at the government for my business.

That's just me, though. I'm sure some of you are much more tolerant/persistent than I am. And to you, I say "Good luck"!
07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #24
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well, as a long time government contractor, let me just say to think long and hard before you go down this road. There's a reason things cost so much in the government, and it's all the paperwork and PITA that it takes. If I had a small business, I don't think I'd be looking at the government for my business.

That's just me, though. I'm sure some of you are much more tolerant/persistent than I am. And to you, I say "Good luck"!
lol. Thanks!
07-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh my - a whole day of dealing with other people's IT problems and I'm fine... 45 minutes on the GSA website and I think I just got a migraine.

I know the opportunity is in there somewhere, but man - the search engine to look for contracts must be encoded to cause grief.
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #26
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No kidding. I know people who are very very skilled at searching fedbizops and I'm going to sit down with them and go through some of this when I get to that point. It's an art form.
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
If you figure it out can you drop me a PM. I don't see anyone on their list in the UK.
It might be worth looking into since I have multiple bases within 2-3 hours.
10-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting thread....Mel, any updates?
10-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #29
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Other work and RealLife sort of got in the way. It's still back there, just slow going on getting set up to where I can actually get working on it. See my county doesn't like to issue biz license if you're below a certain income level in your biz. However I have to register with Dun and Bradstreet to do this and as far as I can tell I have to be an actual licensed biz to do so. However I haven't really made much as my biz thus the county doesn't want to issue me a biz license, and round and round we go. lol.
10-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I haven't really made much as my biz thus the county doesn't want to issue me a biz license, and round and round we go. lol.
It's kind of stupid. How can you do any business if you can't have a business license. It looks like a lot of a$$ h*le are in a situation where they have more power than brain.