Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Going pro?

Hello guys!

I have been away from the forum for quite some time now!

But in that time I have now purchased a K-m twin lens kit!
WOW what a cam over the K100D super!

I am a member of several car clubs, and have really started to go into motor car photography!

I really enjoy it!
dont care what the subject is but just any motor car make me feel good!

Im seriously thinking of maybe taking a proper course and try to go freelance or something!

I wish to do the cars but the courses seem to cover awide range.
Im so bad at taking people pictures!

or is the course really worth it?
can I slowly make my mark with out the course?

Has anybody here been where i am and if so how did you progress?

07-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you're already taking good images of automobiles, what is to be gained by a photo course? If not, keep practicing constantly until you do get good at it. Study other images and attempt to mimic them - learning skills in the process.

In the meantime, if you really want to turn pro, a business course might be the better option. For the pro, business (sales, marketing, accounting, budgeting, taxes, etc) is easily as important as the photography. Perhaps more so to be truly successful. I had years of business and marketing experience before turning pro and the wife is employed by the government (and me) as a budget analyst (reviews & approves military resource contracts for Kosovo).

Most local community colleges offer courses oriented towards the small business operator, which is where you're starting. As your business grows, much of those tasks will be turned over to outside professionals in their respective fields (bookeepers, accountants, etc).

stewart
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many thanks!

here is a few of my favorite shots from past shoots!

Just some of the masses I have!
plus have some of one of the girls from our car club on a skyline somewhere!
07-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The number plates in the images finally made me notice your location in the Cornwall region of England, so ignore what was said about local community colleges. I have very little experience with England, so cannot honestly say what schools there teach. However, regardless of geographical location, I still recommend a good understandinng of business since poor business decisions are often one of the most common reasons for small business failure.

Anyway, I like the images. Of course, it's impossible to determine their commercial value without knowing the market (who you plan to sell them to). For example, what is good for a magazine (often photoshop perfection) might not be so pleasing to the owner of the vehicle. Likewise, people in different areas have different tastes, so what is good where I'm located might not be so well received there. Ultimately, you have to sit back and honestly judge their value in relation to your own unique market, which is often difficult to do without letting personal feelings cloud your judgement.

stewart

07-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #5

I think taking a photography course is a great idea, if you can find somewhere to do it.

Doesn't matter if the course isn't specific to car photography. A good photographer can translate their skills to most any subject, and with a lot of practice and a good instructor, you can learn a lot.

Make sure though that whatever course you take, its not below your level. Above your level is fine– its always good to challenge yourself– but you don't want to waste your time on things you already know.

For what its worth, a course that teaches lighting and commercial/editorial photography would probably be best.
07-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
many thanks for words of encouragement!

think you are right on the lighting and commercial there dantekgeek!

I need to work on my lighting!
I only have on cam flash
so need to sort some off cam flashes!

I been reading several books to teach myself new techiques!
and im very surprised at the results!
very happy with them!