Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every wedding I have shot has had someone shooting pictures besides the photographer, and I expect that. I have seen all kinds of cameras too, from point and shoots to slrs and lenses that are more expensive than my kit. You have to respect the guests, especially because someone invited them to this event. But respect doesn't mean that you can't say something if they are in your way.

In your case, I simply would have informed the guest that the use of flash is prohibited by the church or that it was causing difficulties with your shots. She probably would have been apologetic. You can't stop them from taking the pictures, but you can get them on your side. Suggest a shot or two for her...once you get her thinking she is your friend she will want to stay out of the professionals way.

Things like obnoxious picture taking guests are exactly why wedding photography is a challenging job!

08-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

go to fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom and search 'uncle bob'
08-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
I've had this experience a few times - the worst was when there was an aunt that was an ex-photographer, and I think she was pissed that the B&G didn't ask her to do the wedding. She was shooting over our shoulders and getting in the way of shots somewhat frequently.

The worst part was when she actually grabbed the couple during the reception and took them outside to pose for some other shots! My wife and I were pretty upset, because our philosophy for the reception is that we shoot candid shots and capture the natural environment when people tend to relax and be themselves. I spoke briefly to the aunt and nicely asked her to get out of the way and let us do our jobs, but I frequently wish I had been less polite about it.

At any rate, the bride and groom loved our pictures, and after the fact the aunt let us know she liked them as well - so perhaps it was worth it to not be rude to her. But, I know I'll definitely be more blunt in the future if I have another one of these.
08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
For the most part, all weddings I've covered have arranged for guests to head to the reception while we work. All you have to tell people is there is free booze and there will be no one left behind to bug you.
to expand this concept... most guests just want their happy snap of the bride and groom, and one of the wedding party. Straight after the ceremony, line up the bride and groom and invite everyone to take a pic (leave your camera on tripod in the middle so they feel like they are getting the exact same shot). Quickly line up the wedding party and let them fire off another salvo. Next, mention the free booze and you'll be alone with your wedding party to take your 'creative' shots!

08-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Only registered members are allowed to search"
08-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
... and when we tried to do the photos outside the church it turned into feeding time at the zoo. ...
While I have never shot a wedding, this sounds just like a high school graduation I recently shot. It was an outdoor venue called "the redlands bowl". I already had my camera out ready for the group shot. As the students began to line up on the back of the stage I headed for the front of it. The only problem was by the time I got to my "spot" 25% of the audience was already there! Try telling 100 people at one time they are keeping you from doing your job!

The speeches and the awards began and I thought the worst was over. Then it was time to photograph the procession. As I ascended to my spot down low in the corner of the stage it started all over again. There was this one guy who I was soooo close to losing my cool with. He was so distracting that instead of keeping my mind on my job I found myself wondering how far I could ram his crappy P&S down his throat. I don't know what kind of camera it was, but it's fake shutter sound was more like the sound of a garbage truck crashing through a 1 inch thick glass wall. The fact that it made this horrendous noise at 100 decibels was not lost on anyone. It certainly wasn't lost on me, considering he tried to get every shot I did, and as far is I could tell he tried to do it 1 millimeter away from my left ear.
08-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #52
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aweir Quote
I was shooting a wedding yesterday for a family friend, when a guest arrived with and thought she was somehow entitled to get up and take pictures of the ceremony with her SLR. It was bad enough that she was getting in my way but on top of it she was using a flash and moving around the place like she was in charge!!! It turns out the mother of the groom invited her to go, but who knows if they knew she was bringing the camera.

How could someone be so rude, especially when there's already a photographer there. She was really getting on my nerves, and you could just see the look on many people's faces at the audacity of this woman to use a flash at a wedding ceremony, trying to upstage the photographer.

I was about to tell her to sit down and stop taking pictures because she was getting in my way of the shots that *I* was asked to take, not her.
I would never do that. I just like to grab the disposable cameras on the table and the upstaging comes when the happy couple realizes my shots with those are better than the hired hand.

08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
"Only registered members are allowed to search"
Crap, sorry. Mayb this will yild th sam info

uncle bob wedding - Google Search

I HAT THIS COMPUTR!!!!
08-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
(leave your camera on tripod in the middle so they feel like they are getting the exact same shot).
Ahahaaha, that's a great idea. The hired photographer did that for my daughter's First Communion (the school hired him). He invited all the parents (around 60 parents and probably 75% with P&S cameras) to take all the snaps they wanted, then he kindly asked all the parents to leave the hall while he took the group photo of the whole class in their communion attire with the priest and teachers.

Great idea and seemed to work like a charm.
08-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #55
Veteran Member

My favorite tactic for when there's someone around like that is simply to *enlist* them. (and this goes for people being bored and/or distracting to your subjects) It doesn't have to be a big deal, but a lot of people will actually enjoy following your lead if they feel like they're suddenly part of a team. (And a lot of the rest will tend to try and escape the sudden responsibility, either way, you get your shots and they're not in your way, or worse, competing with what you're trying to do cause it's turned into something about pride.)

If you're shooting a wedding, you're kind of in the festivities business, in a way, never hurts if people are having fun around you. If they *like* you, feel good around you, they'll be that much more likely to want to pass your name around, etc, etc, too.

Especially when you're kind of confined to doing the obligatory, standard stuff, there's almost always another angle or even a bunch of reaction shots you can hint to someone else about but can't go get yourself. Good way to get someone on your side, early.

It's kind of more fun to be the backup than the pro, anyway, (Got started upstaging pros, myself) ...so show em the fun.

The last wedding I went to as a guest was actually kind of fun: a lot of the guests were art photographers, one of whom was officially-tasked with actually shooting the wedding: their first time ever. I kind of got to be the *helpful* old salt on the scene, just doing some black and white.
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I had a bad situation this weekend with an uncle bob. It was cake cutting andfeeding time, and I like to be pretty non-invasive and just let things happen. So I let the b&g get up there and stand how they do, then I get in the right place to shoot them. Cake gets cut, that's all good, except now the groom is aboutto feed the bride, and I'm in the right place to shoot it, when right as he lift the fork, uncle bob with his camcorder, who is 20 feet away and halfway around the circle says, "Abel, tunrt his way!" The b&g, not knowing any beter, do so without thinking, and I get pictures of their backs. This is perhaps the best reason for having two photogs, because luckily my wife was in a location that was beter for shooting the crowd response, but got a good shot of the couple after they turned their backson me. I'm know goingto have a conversation with the couple duringthe consultation that mentions something about not taking any cues from anyone but me. Or more importantlyly, just because I'm not giving out cues, doesn't mean they can take them from someone else. I think that's one of the problems with PJ style shooting, is that because you're not voicing your plan and manipulating the event, people asume you just don't have a plan and that whatever they do is therefore less invasive, since it doesn't interfere with your lack of plan.
09-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I was covering a wedding, and had found a good isolated place to take some formal shots of the couple and their child. Another guest had come along with a P&S, and as I was setting up and instructing, the other guest was calling for them to look over at her. Some of the shots I had taken that looked the best, got ruined, because either the bride or groom was looking at the other person calling out for them.

I wanted to, in clear terms, tell the person to stand behind me if wanted to take pictures, and not say anything. But didn’t want to create a bad, or uncomfortable atmosphere.

8 out of 10 people understand and can read situations. The last are simply sometimes clueless.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I've had people do this at weddings I've shot and as long as they are not getting in MY way I don't say anything.

However, I DO NOT agree that there is nothing you can do in this situation or that you should just suck it up. The first time you have to wait for a shot or miss a shot due to the FAUXTOGRAPHER, let the bride and groom (or Best Man or designated "Sgt at Arms") know that if THEY do not control the disruptive guest that you will not be held responsible for any missed or damaged shots (say over exposure due to multiple flashes).

If they are resistant, remind them that they PAID you to shoot the photos and that the fauxtographer is endangering the record of their special day. If they continue to resist you inform them that due to circumstances beyond your control you will be unable to continue and that they are not entitled to any type of refund on any deposits paid (this clause should be in your contract and should be clearly understood by the couple from the outset). Extreme, YES! But I've never had it go that far. Normally the Best Man and the closest relative are effective and getting the fauxtographer to behave or at least stay out of your way.

Finally, true, it is a free country. However, the B&G are free to have disruptive guests removed. In reality, the best way to handle these situations is to have the Best Man pre-emptively tell anyone with a camera to hold all shots until you have taken yours. Also, make it clear beforehand that NO ONE else is allowed to shoot during the posed couple and group photos.

Of course, this stuff is one of the reasons that I only shoot weddings very rarely these days.

Mike

Is this extreme? Yes, and
Good points
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Well, there are two sides to this story. At my brother's wedding 25 years ago, all the relatives were told NO PHOTOGRAPHY EXCEPT BY THE PRO. Hurt feelings all around but they all obeyed the dictates.

THE PRO took very poor pictures, washed out, special effects that didn't work, etc. No relatives had snapshots of the crowd and other relatives. Nice wedding, the happy couple refused to buy the poor pictures, and so no photos of the wedding or attendees exist. Isn't that a great outcome.

I just went to a grand nephew's wedding, i stayed out of the way of the professional photographer and her assistant. I didn;t use any flash nor did anyone else. I didn't attempt or dream of directing any photographs, just candid snapshots. And the couple just loves the 29 pictures i gave them on CD to augment the ones they got from the professionals.

The warning above is too draconian in my mind. I think one that says not to use flashes in the church, not to get in the way of the professional photographer, not to direct the shots, etc. is fine.

What happened in the OP's case was the mother making separate arrangements. thats outrageous. I'm beginning to understand why many don't want to do weddings :-)
well stated

I have a clause in my contract that covers this issue, including a statement to the effect that although other protography is certainly allowed, the B&G need to understand that if guests interfere with my work, I am not a miracle worker and cannot guarantee the quality of my work in those occasions.

Case in point, an outdoor wedding I shot last month. This one relative was so rude he actually got up, pulled out his cute metallic blue pocket shooter, stood right behind the bride, groom, and the officiant, and began to snap photos.

Although he was a bit of a pain, I actually felt bad for the bride and groom. This guy was trespassing into that space reserved for the bridal party and officiant. Heck, not even I would go where he did...quite literally hovering over the bridesmaids' shoulders to take a picture, then reviewing the photos as he strolled behind the officiant. Had the officiant been stricter, the guy would have been yelled at, that's for sure.

I made sure to "document" his interference with a few shots, just for the record, and kept doing my job.

When he did the same during the family shots (walked out of the group shot to take a snap of the group he was supposed to be in), I actually turned the camera on him - making everyone laugh and yell at him to get back in the group.
Good one

I am one of those who will not have a problem letting others take a key shot (cake cutting, first dance, etc), as long as I'm allowed to take my shot - and I will say this too. Most people will cooperate if you tell them the bride and groom will pose for them too.

As Kenyee stated - it's not us Vs them. I'm just the guy with the bigger flash

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I think there are two sides to this as well. I've now been to four weddings in the last six weeks, and taken "Fauxtographer" photos in each one. In only one, was there ever an issue, and it was interesting because the photographer only objected to photos with an SLR. (It was not a case of upstaging or flash) He and I made peace, though and had several pleasant conversations throughout the evening.

However, as a guest at these weddings, I have another beef. Does the wedding exist now only by and for the photographer? At the first wedding, a single photographer shot the entire evening, and seemed to double as wedding planner. Nice guy, and not disruptive. However in the last two weddings, there were 3 and 4 photographers and videographers crowded around every aspect of the wedding. Another guest said to me that weddings were starting to become like sporting events--you can't see anything while you are there, and you should just mail in a present and ask for a video.

The one this weekend (where I made friends with the photographer after an initial discussion), was the worst. I was tempted to take photos of the cluster around the cake, the garter, the bouquet, etc. just to record how ridiculous this has gotten. The entire wedding is "upstaged" by flashes, video lights and four photographers' butts. Forget taking amateur photos--or even seeing what is going on.
I think the ideal set-up, is where the ordinary guests hardly notice the photographer, but just later see the great photos. I think in the U.S. everything can turn out way too official, instead of just relaxed good times. At least that is how I also understand your explanation.

Keitha was showing some good work, from a wedding she covered :
First All-Pentax, All-Prime Wedding (Images Inside) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And so Darren had :
the Daily Someone (or something): November 11, 2007

And lastly, here is one who does it, the dream way :
The Online Photographer: Weddings with a Telephoto
If your pictures aren't good enough, you are using a telephoto!! - Jeff Ascough's Blog

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-14-2009 at 04:27 AM.
09-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #58
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have a clause in my contract that covers this issue, including a statement to the effect that although other protography is certainly allowed, the B&G need to understand that if guests interfere with my work, I am not a miracle worker and cannot guarantee the quality of my work in those occasions.

Case in point, an outdoor wedding I shot last month. This one relative was so rude he actually got up, pulled out his cute metallic blue pocket shooter, stood right behind the bride, groom, and the officiant, and began to snap photos.

Although he was a bit of a pain, I actually felt bad for the bride and groom. This guy was trespassing into that space reserved for the bridal party and officiant. Heck, not even I would go where he did...quite literally hovering over the bridesmaids' shoulders to take a picture, then reviewing the photos as he strolled behind the officiant. Had the officiant been stricter, the guy would have been yelled at, that's for sure.

I made sure to "document" his interference with a few shots, just for the record, and kept doing my job.

When he did the same during the family shots (walked out of the group shot to take a snap of the group he was supposed to be in), I actually turned the camera on him - making everyone laugh and yell at him to get back in the group.

I am one of those who will not have a problem letting others take a key shot (cake cutting, first dance, etc), as long as I'm allowed to take my shot - and I will say this too. Most people will cooperate if you tell them the bride and groom will pose for them too.

As Kenyee stated - it's not us Vs them. I'm just the guy with the bigger flash
Funny I had the exact same thing this weekend. The guy stepped out of the group to take his own shot of a posed family group. So I got behind him and took a shot of him taking a shot of them. His P&S was of course slow and he kept looking at the screen while I stood behind him with my camera to my eye. (a K20D with grip, DA*16-50mm and an AF400T with diffuser is an imposingly huge camera setup). So after 20-30 seconds everyone was giving him a hard time for slowing things down but I actually got a neat shot that I thanked him for and after that he was easy to work around.
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

I think the ideal set-up, is where the ordinary guests hardly notice the photographer, but just later see the great photos. I think in the U.S. everything can turn out way too official, instead of just relaxed good times. At least that is how I also understand your explanation.
Well put. The photographer and videographer had become the center of the ceremony in three of the four weddings I attended this summer. The feeling one receives as a guest is that one is on a set, rather at an important event in the life of a loved one.