Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote

Last call at Sully's: Bar closes after 84 years - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

And don't let anyone tell you Pentax can't shoot sports, that's a myth, and a bad one. I have never shot rodeo ever in my life, but here you go:

Photos: 4th Annual North Star Rodeo at Marshfield Fairgrounds - Marshfield Mariner - Marshfield, MA
I often hear that during events. Already shooting for the media a couple of years. And a few years ago I had made a photo which was sold world wide. Even used in a live broadcast of CNN news. Now, the past 2 years or so, I see a lot of people being jealous that I still work with Pentax and sell photo's of accidents and events, and they are more often pleased to let me take a photo above others using Canon or Nikon.

10-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding. More power to you. Keep up the great work.
10-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a land far away and time farther away, I did use Pentax as a Photojournalist. I've since grown past that.
10-21-2018, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #49
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
At one time in my working life long ago in the Middle East, I dumped all my four (what was considered professional tools at the time) Nikon F3s with MD-4 Drives and lenses for Pentax LXs, Drives/NiCad Packs and lenses. That's two in use while two were being cleaned, Pentax just seemed to have better dust/sand sealing and didn't require cleaning every week, I'd get possibly two or three weeks or more before cleaning.

Trust me sand in the film gate puts a beautiful score across the emulsion on film. Photoshop had yet to be invented so touching up (PP) involved heaps of time and using an actual paint brush, either on negatives, prints or both.

I've still got a couple about he place... this one even has a battle ding on it on the viewfinder base housing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-21-2018 at 09:33 AM.
10-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
At one time in my working life long ago in the Middle East, I dumped all my four (what was considered professional tools at the time) Nikon F3s with MD-4 Drives and lenses for Pentax LXs, Drives/NiCad Packs and lenses. That's two in use while two were being cleaned, Pentax just seemed to have better dust/sand sealing and didn't require cleaning every week, I'd get possibly two or three weeks or more before cleaning.

Trust me sand in the film gate puts a beautiful score across the emulsion on film. Photoshop had yet to be invented so touching up (PP) involved heaps of time and using an actual paint brush, either on negatives, prints or both.

I've still got a couple about he place... this one even has a battle ding on it on the viewfinder base housing.
Great story about your experience with your LX...any adventures you would like to tell us about your experiences with your LX's in your working life ?

Love the pix of your LX with 50 F 1.2 and motor drive. Impressive unit. BTW, I've got an old Canon F-1 with a similar dent in the viewfinder housing. Adds to it's character, IMHO.
10-23-2018, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I should elaborate, the reason I quit photojournalism...........I can't stand people and the politics that go with it. Now I'm a happy nature photographer.
10-23-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I should elaborate, the reason I quit photojournalism...........I can't stand people and the politics that go with it. Now I'm a happy nature photographer.
Critters can't complain if they are not positioned in the correct light!

10-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Critters can't complain if they are not positioned in the correct light!
Yep, you got that right.
10-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't seen any photojournalist using Pentax. Know one retired one that told me they used to use Pentax in the film day's at the newspaper. I do use one of my two camera's but I am not a photojournalist (radio&tv).
10-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #55
Pentaxian

I had the pleasure of meeting Dominique Schreckling at Photokina. We quickly agreed that Pentax doesn't seems to move with any reasonable speed, and how unnerving that was.
So I've seen a Pentax-using photojournalist
10-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Just a couple of years ago, I shot for an university newspaper for about a year, so this is more similar to local news on a shoestring budget (everyone in photo was using their own gear). I know it wasn't a national newspaper, but it had a print edition. I've seen my concert photos, color at about iso 12,800 with my k3ii, printed and they looked perfectly fine. Most assignments were not for front page all-photo or photo essays, so high resolution wasn't a requirement, our guideline was to submit at around 2000px on the longest edge, to speed up uploads and edits The only place I consistently saw photographers (local news) with expensive gear such as 1D or D5 was for sports.

Last edited by aaacb; 10-28-2018 at 06:34 PM.
10-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #57
Banned

News paper print isn't to demanding. Except the glossy they ad to the paper overhere in the weekend. Most print is 200 dpi, so for most prints even 1000 pixels is enough, for the larger images a little more.
10-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a friend who used to work for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who used Pentax. He's retired now, but worked for them for years. and always used Pentax, and of course that was in the film days. I'd forgotten about Bob when I wrote before about my experience.