Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wedding!!

Today I realize how important photography is for everyone. I've probably shot about 150 weddings, and every one of the most important days of that girls life.

I had ZERO weddings for July. It has been something like 33 days since I have shot a wedding.

Today I am giddy. Abby and Kirby are getting married. They are a great couple with whom I had a blast on the engagement session. I can't wait to get there and exercise my cameras and take utmost care of their memories as they happen.

I hope that a hundred years down the line, some great great grandkids are looking back at some prints made on high grade archival paper and saying..aahhhh great great grandma Abby was so beautiful!!!
I want this bride and her mom to cry when they see the album. I want to have a product that people CHERISH.

Every shot we shoot is a memory to be cherished.

We really do an important JOB, guys.

For everyone on a wedding today.

LETS ROCK THIS MUTHA!!!!

08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

That is awesome! I wish you the best with all the shots. It's really cool to see someone passionate about their photography. (:
08-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome! I just love shooting weddings, and you were able to put into words many of the reasons why I love it so much. Good luck today (but with 150 already done, I know you don't need it ;o) and post your favorite pic from today when it is all said and done...I want to see Abby on her wedding day!

Allison
08-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the encouragement Mitchel. And the best in yours.
When you give your all in everything, people will notice your work and how you did it.
Keep it up!

08-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man you got me all fired up!

I have a wedding coming up on the 14th of this month and 2 client meetings this weekend that I'm pretty sure we'll seal the deal on. I'll be shooting 1 per month through October and have 3 dates booked for 2010 already! They definitely seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Maybe things will pick up for you soon.
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hey MGB ..... kudos to you for having that passion & dedication to your craft and most of all...your clients !!!
I can relate to your excitement,having had the honour of capturing weddings for about 30 years.I still get nervous before a shoot.... I believe that being entrusted with recording that special day should make you feel excited & trusted.
All the best with your photographic craft..... keep doing what you enjoy!
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote

(snip) Maybe things will pick up for you soon.
Man it was a well deserved month off. I think by the time this year is up, I will have shot at somewhere close to thirty weddings.

I have almost ten left to go before the year is up too!!

Next year is looking thin with about six to go to so far.
08-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ponyt27 Quote
(snip)I believe that being entrusted with recording that special day should make you feel excited & trusted.
It's that 'one chance' feeling that gives me an adrenaline rush. I used to fight black belt martial arts tournaments. I used to roll XGames type skating. I was really good at both with sponsors in both fields (to give you an idea of what kind of adrenaline I was looking for)

I never would have thought that wedding photography would top it all off!!

It really IS an honor every time I go on a wedding. Truth is, I love photography in any form. I choose weddings because of the level at which you must be shooting to turn out a good set.
You have to rock, or you go down in flames.

...dont forget to charge those batteries!

08-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well, while I think it is really important to do the best job you can, I think one also has to temper ones enthusiasm with the hard statistic that almost half of marriages end in divorce, at which time many, if not most of the pictures become far less important.
For example, I think it is important to get really good group pictures of the individual families, these are more likely to be the important pictures than those of the mixed families.
08-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #10

I've always found the best mindset for me was to stay calm and focused rather than getting "pumped" with thoughts of the occasion.
If you look at in another way, everything you shoot is a once in a lifetime occurrence.
Staying focused and calm works for me, your results may differ...
08-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have done a few weddings for my friends in the past. I am not getting paid but each time I came out knowing a little more how to handle certain situations, lighting and posting etc.

Not being the main (or professional) photographer is a blessing in disguise as it is more fun and enjoyable. Instead of the traditional documentary style photography I can get creative, if I miss a shot, so be it.
08-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, while I think it is really important to do the best job you can, I think one also has to temper ones enthusiasm with the hard statistic that almost half of marriages end in divorce, at which time many, if not most of the pictures become far less important.
For example, I think it is important to get really good group pictures of the individual families, these are more likely to be the important pictures than those of the mixed families.
Sad, but true!
Makes me think I should do a separate shot of just the bride + family and just the groom + family in addition to bride + groom + family for both families.
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes, sad but true it is. But the fact remains that I'm selling a product. I'm not selling sets of family portraits, I'm selling wedding photography through and through.

My mom is on her fourth husband. I think my dad only had two wives and swore to never again get married. My brother is on his second wife (he's 26). All of my aunts have had a minimum of three husbands. My last girlfriend was abusive and crazy, before that I had some heartbreak...blah blah
Yeah I know that wedding=divorce later on. But I'm absolutely passionate that for one sliver of time in life, people actually love each other. Sometimes people just take one day, and spend it devoted to each other, and invite all of their friends and family to share the day.

I'm part of that one day when people aren't kidnapping their kids from each other (my mom kidnapped me and my bro...didnt see my dad for years). I am part of, almost every weekend, that day in people's lives when they aren't bitching at each other about custody or alimony or child support or divorce decrees or BULLSHIT.

I'm only with them for the couple of months before they get married, when they are REALLY truely in love, and the month or so after when they are ordering prints and albums.

The rest of the time after that is all up to them. I have a job to do. I take great care that I do my job right. I capture the emotion and play it for all it's worth until that vision of love is amplified and made into a memory that, I hope, will make a strong enough impression that maybe they can last a while.

Thats my job and my goal.

And ya know what? Today, Erica and Chris were awesome. I had a lot of fun at today's wedding. They rock.
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got finished watching this, a link I discovered here in the forums:

David Griffin on how photography connects us | Video on TED.com

It's a good representation of how I feel on a wedding. Photography is important. It's what connects us. Go get those images which can really move...and ROCK

8)
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
K-9
Veteran Member

Your enthusiasm is killing me. I despise shooting weddings. I think if you could round up all the photographic subjects in the world and rank them in order I'd not want to take that job on for a paid assigment, death/violence/killings would be first and weddings would be next. I'd rather shoot pigs in a pigpen.