Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Keitha, thanks for mpix suggestion; I don't think I'll need a huge book though, a small booklet, max 20 pics, will suffice imo..

Steven, thanks for suggestions. Take out and look... Reminder for self - pictures better be pin sharp
I just got back to University, taking issue in a moment.
I'm pretty sure they do accept digital - on CD, I guess. How did you organize the shots? Some sort of web page on CD with a gallery-like thing?

Also, I'm not in Art or anything related. I'm in Business I know only one photographer in the paper - and he's an engineering student; besides, the paper is student-run, so I doubt there are courses that can "get you in" there - not that I'm looking for one. As far as I know, there's only one introductory digital photography course for non-majors - utterly basics.

Bo.

08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Thanks for advice! I'm thinking about a black album right now, maybe pics only, and the first page with some of my info.

Now, about the photohunt. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would. Pointing your camera at random people isn't really as easy as I thought Some would even get pissed real bad (like "I'll shove that camera up your a**, you f***** a*****e!" bad)
Also, the "content" wasn't as easy to pick. I was thinking about trying to capture some emotion - but people in SF are just too normal! The only ones who show something seemed to be bums and beggars. Well, that, and most of the people in Chinatown.
So, yeah, I will have to work on that...

I'll put up for C&C a picture in critique section to see what people will think about it...

Bo.
You could always tell them to shove the ensuing lawsuit up their ass and if they don't want to be seen (or photographed) they should hide indoors where they have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Also, you are in school....you probably have a photo class right? Even if you don't you might have a way to get a pass to the print department. I made my first portfolio from a ton of 8x10's i printed in the computer art studio. They were free for me because I was in a couple of classes that gave me a print pass. I just had to supply the paper. I charged a client a pack of paper for pictures of her baby and away I went....
08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO you should STUDY Strobist. You need basic mastery of off-camera strobe. Nobody uses on-camera strobe for journalism.

I'm taking journalism courses in my local community college...I'm told the serious programs won't give a degree in journalism/photojournalism unless you can do slideshow editing...www.soundslides.com for example...more important than printing because publications avoid prints and are gravitating toward online slide shows and videos..

Last edited by janosh; 08-20-2009 at 04:51 PM.
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...also, you need to be able to write a story...actually gather facts and organize them in simple journalistic fashion...simple and formally organized...you can find them online.

...also, you soon need to do simple audio recording of interviews...inexpensive Olympus digital recorder..DS-30 (metal body version) is plenty good for radio broadcasts of informal interviews and for casual music filler.