Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video but not the K-7. Looking for advice on a video camera

I'm considering adding a video camera to my wedding package. I get more and more requests for a basic coverage of the service and reception speeches. I'm getting some corporate clients asking the same as well. I find most people don't really care about big productions but just want something that captures the video and sound of the service as well as the speeches that might be interesting to see later on.

It could be used for a video booth at the reception as well.

So the idea is this. I could get a decent camera and set it up on a tripod. Maybe add a wireless Mic to the groom. Then just hit record and let it take a static shot. Then take it to the reception for the same thing. Head table static coverage.

I have no interest in running around with a still camera and a video camera. Both would suck for sure.

I was a co owner of a video production company about 10 years ago but we used CCD 3 chip Beta Cams and I'm totally out of the loop as to what would be a decent camera today.

So the minimum would be:
1) HD camera.
2) Ext Mic input
3) some form of remote ability.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good model and other features I should look into?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-09-2009 at 02:53 PM.
09-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
No advice anyone?
09-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Banned

Celebrated event cinematographer Mark Von Lanken, who runs Tulsa, OK-based wedding video studio Von Wedding Films with his wife, Trisha, has embraced shooting with Panasonic’s new AG-HMC150 professional handheld AVCCAM camcorder. Having recently shot two weddings and a Life Story treatment with the HMC150, Von Lanken will soon take delivery of three of the professional AVCHD handhelds.

“There isn’t another camera on the market that offers the affordability of solid-state recording to SDHC cards, light weight, excellent low light performance and features like XLR audio at this price point,” said Von Lanken. “I’ve fallen in love with how the HMC150 feels and how it helps me do my job.”

http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/briefingroom/2009/03/10/von-wedding-f...mc150-avccams/

* Wireless Remote Control
* Microphone

Panasonic | AG-HMC150 AVCCAM Camcorder Shooter's | HMC150SHOOTER

Last edited by jogiba; 09-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
09-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Very nice but at $3400.00 that's quite a distance from my comfort zone. I'm looking more at a high end consumer unit because I'm not getting into video productions again. Just a basic static sequence.

09-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
Banned

The high end consumer video camcorders from Sony and Canon have zoom lenses that start at 43 or 43.5mm so interior shots would be a showstopper IMHO.
HDR-XR520V | 240GB HD HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

VIXIA HF S11 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

SimplyDV: Camcorder Reviews, News and Information
09-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Banned

Right, show up at a wedding to shoot video for hire with that.

09-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Check this Sony out.

Sony HVR-HD1000U HDV Camcorder Pro Camcorders HDV10 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

It's a lot of camera for the money. It may not have a pro lens or incredible low light performance, but it's a joy to use due to the shoulder mount.

It has a 1/3 CMOS sensor and a focal range of 40mm - 400mm (a little wider than most).

I don't know if it matters to you or not, but it looks completely professional which can make a big difference when you're the "official" videographer. Guests with camcorders will get out of your way. The large size might also be an inconvenience for you though.

Gerry

Last edited by Lazaruscomeout; 09-10-2009 at 04:42 AM.
09-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #9

I would stay away from hard drive camcorders and go with SDHC cams.
I have a Sony consumer cam with hard drive, with the drive that crapped out on me. No drops or bumps, and had 1 and half years of light use only.
Also, make sure the output is something like AVCHD, which is editing friendly. Some Sony cams output MPeg, highly compressed and has tech issues for editing.
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Right, show up at a wedding to shoot video for hire with that.
It's a website with reviews.
09-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks guys the 1000 looks interesting. I wonder how hard it is to replace a failed hard drive if that happens. I guess they can't take rough handling nearly as well as a card without moving parts.
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

the hmc-150 would have been my recommendation as well, but since it's out of the budget, i'd say go with a canon, not the sony, for two reasons.

the problem with sony hd consumer camcorders is that they cripple the avchd bitrate to 18Mbps, they don't use the full spec of 24Mbps.

canon also has much better manual controls than the sony does.

most of these consumer camcorders will not go wide enough, you'll have to locate the tripod away from the subject.
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
the hmc-150 would have been my recommendation as well, but since it's out of the budget, i'd say go with a canon, not the sony, for two reasons.

the problem with sony hd consumer camcorders is that they cripple the avchd bitrate to 18Mbps, they don't use the full spec of 24Mbps.

canon also has much better manual controls than the sony does.

most of these consumer camcorders will not go wide enough, you'll have to locate the tripod away from the subject.
The Sony I recommended is not an avchd camera.

Gerry

Last edited by Lazaruscomeout; 09-12-2009 at 08:26 PM.