Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
The problem for Pentax occured during the 1980's, they were slow onto the digital bandwagon and have paid the price from market leader to an also ran (albeit the best ever also ran) in a decade.

Pentax is by far the most cost effective camera system, full of innovation, do Pentax sell those ideas? You know the answer. Pentax have always been cameras designed by photographers for photographers, they have always been and still are a joy to use.

Chris
Did I miss something in the '80s?

10-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #32

when does owing something get you respect? Or who would respect an object????
10-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Highlights another problem with lack of marketing exposure.

Let's say Pentax releases, say, a full-frame, 24-odd megapixel, fully-tricked-out SLR. You know, weather sealing, 5FPS, 1/8000s shutter speed, lightning-fast and accurate AF, 100% viewfinder, improved flash capabilities, the whole box and dice. Something on par with the Canon 5D, Nikon D700 or Sony A900.

Let's say they sell it for about $2500US new.

Most people would still say, "No Pentax is worth that much."
Most informed or knowledgeable people would say "It's the most expensive Pentax made - it must be worth it."

Pentax lenses will also be cheaper, though...
10-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #34
Inactive Account

No, you'd be surprised at some of the stubborness. That hypothetical Pentax would probably only be perceived as being as good as a $1500 Canikon.

One thing they should pick up on is while the K-7 is pretty much a compact D300s...at nearly half the price, in Aus.

Sure, the D300s sells for only (I think) $500US more than the K-7 in the US, but here, the K-7's RRP is $1749AU, versus $3200AU for the D300s.

If only Pentax had a decent rep in Australia to notice these things...a distributor who had at least a modicum of faith in the products they distribute.

10-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Pentax lenses will also be cheaper, though...
Not in Europe .... Prices are very high
10-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
If only Pentax had a decent rep in Australia to notice these things...a distributor who had at least a modicum of faith in the products they distribute.
From here, CRK look fantastic. Could it be that you are really complaining about Pentax, e.g., a lack of advertising?

We Kiwis wished we had CRK as the distributor for Pentax rather than Ian R. Little with their non-service.
10-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I get respect when I'm out shooting. People don't stop to talk to the canikonians, but they stop to talk about Pentax.
If people "respect" you and stop to talk to you just because you're using a Pentax, what does that say, really?

One reason I debranded my stuff by liberal use of tape is that I DON'T want people to come talk to me just because I own a specific thing. If they want to come talk about photography, great, but they can tell I am using a camera regardless of any branding...

I suppose I ought to avoid the flaming Pentaxian crowd though since I'd probably hear nothing about photography and all about how Pentax is better value for the money and my stuff only has in-lens expensive IS and the lower priced bodies aren't weather sealed like theirs and...and...and....

10-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I suppose I ought to avoid the flaming Pentaxian crowd though since I'd probably hear nothing about photography and all about how Pentax is better value for the money and my stuff only has in-lens expensive IS and the lower priced bodies aren't weather sealed like theirs and...and...and....
It is not uncommon for people to treat you like you expect them to treat you. So often, you get what you have asked for.
10-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd probably hear all about how Pentax is better value for the money and my stuff only has in-lens expensive IS and the lower priced bodies aren't weather sealed like theirs and...and...and....
Really? Moreso than Canikonians who believe Pentax make inferior products and won't amount to much in the photographic world, and you're not getting pro results until you get pro gear like theirs, and.. and...?
10-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Really? Moreso than Canikonians who believe Pentax make inferior products and won't amount to much in the photographic world, and you're not getting pro results until you get pro gear like theirs, and.. and...?
There's no doubt some of them around but seems like it's limited to DPreview forums. If you visit POTN or the FM Canon forum you'll see a fair bit of positive comments on and respect for the Pentax gear.
10-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I've said it before, but real respect flows the other way. If you look like you know what you're doing out there, people are more likely to think there's something special/good about what you're using, than they are to really be impressed by the marketing backwash of 'Pros use this camera.' Whereas of course, 'pros' often choose things out of business concerns, even if they'd personally rather be shooting something else.

Real pros know better than to be impressed by someone calling themself a 'pro,' anyway, never mind having the same brand name, especially if they're looking at someone standing around looking bewildered by an expensive rig.

People always seem to think my old Lumix FZ-7 is some kind of fancy pro camera, even if you could get em at Wal-mart and the workings are no different from many other such things. (Does look pretty sharp, mind you, but all other things being equal, I like a nice lens hood. )

There's always been a certain status symbol factor to a lot of things, (back in the 80's, shooting Canon FD basically was seen as meaning, 'You must not be good enough to afford Nikon, or smart enough to know better,' )

But if someone has poor stance or just doesn't act like they know what they're about, no amount of brand prestige can cover that.
10-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I took a long weekend in Las Vegas and picked up a couple photography mag's.

I get the feeling that the industry doesn't respect Pentax as a top shelf camera.
Why is that??
They buy less ad space in camera mags.

Seriously in Europe they seem to be clawing back some of that respect. Camera mags are finding thinks to like with the new cameras, and that definately helps.

Also in Europe we like niche.
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
They buy less ad space in camera mags.

Seriously in Europe they seem to be clawing back some of that respect. Camera mags are finding thinks to like with the new cameras, and that definately helps.

Also in Europe we like niche.
I find it interesting that whenever I am in Europe in general or back home (Sweden) people tend to talk about Nikon and generally ignore Canon. I know my sample size is very limited so was wondering if you had the same impression; is Nikon the more "pro" brand over there of the two?
10-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I find it interesting that whenever I am in Europe in general or back home (Sweden) people tend to talk about Nikon and generally ignore Canon. I know my sample size is very limited so was wondering if you had the same impression; is Nikon the more "pro" brand over there of the two?
Wedding and event pros seem to like Nikon, PJs and sports photographers still use 1D's.

Pentax seems to have a good following in the enthusiasts market, especially in France.
10-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

One reason I debranded my stuff by liberal use of tape is that I DON'T want people to come talk to me just because I own a specific thing. If they want to come talk about photography, great, but they can tell I am using a camera regardless of any branding...
I'm so with you on this one. I never cease to be amazed that many people obsess more about the gear than the craft.