Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calendar printing

[ I don't know that there is a more appropriate forum for this; I'll be happy to move this if someone has a better idea ]

[ EDIT: OK, I've moved it from general to Pro ]

Every year around this time, I put together a calendar. Usually of my paintings, but this time I think it will be photography. I've used several service in the past, and while none were terrible, none were so great that I don't keep looking.

I'm talking about standard flip-a-month-at-a-time wall calendars (some companies offer only whole-year-on-a-single-page calendars). I'm not talking about doing high volume offset printing here - small batches or single orders.

I don't have any special requirements - just decent quality at a good price. Last time out I used Lulu, which was the cheapest I had seen ($9.99 in quantities of just 5), but quality and customization options seemed a notch below what I was expecting. I'd use them again if no better options presented themselves, though, as the other options were generally close to twice as expensive.

Looking around, I see what looks like a similar deal at Vistaprint, although I have no idea how long their current advertised sale prices last. I have heard of them of them primarily because I know a lot of people use them for business cards. Not sure how their photo storage fee structure works out long term if I were to use them more often.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 10-19-2009 at 08:15 PM.
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the regulars on the PDML uses Cafepress for her calendars. I've seen one of them, the quality was quite good.
Perhaps if you didn't sue them you might be happier
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Marc, Last year I used apple to print my calenders, I think I printed 10. I was very impressed with the quality, but not so much the price. I think I paid about 23$ ea.

This year I will be a little more cost conscious for my calender, I am looking to do a couple coffee table books also. I have been looking at VioVio, They received some good reviews.

It will be interesting to see what company's some of the other members use.

Thanks for starting this thread.

John
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How many thousands do you want and when do you need them?

You should not ask that type of question when there is a printer lurking in the background.

10-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I don't see a calendar as style or technique Marc. Perhaps Pro and Business or PP, Software and Printing?
10-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
How many thousands do you want and when do you need them?

You should not ask that type of question when there is a printer lurking in the background.

I'm looking for small quantities maybe a dozen of each. do you do such small orders?
10-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
I'm looking for small quantities maybe a dozen of each. do you do such small orders?
Read the first line of my answer.

I could do it, but the cost would be prohibitive with the equipment I have. Try to find a printer having digital output, more like a copy center. This is their field of operation. Mine is more like you need 5000, I'm there. You need five, you loose your shirt, and then some...

10-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up on the typo - fixed (for the record, I initially wrote that I had "sued" instead of "used" several services.

Cafepress is a company I have used - quality indeed was fine, but calendar pricing is on the high side.

As for placement of this thread, my concern with placing it in the "pro" forum is that this is the sort of thing non-pro's are more likely to be concerned with (pros might be doing the full offset printing thing). And I'm not looking for helping printing things myself - been there, done that - which is why the printing forum didn't feel right, either.

As I see it, this question is the equivalent of a question like, "what's a good hosting services if I want to share my pictures" - discussion of Flickr, Zenfolio, etc. Where would that go?

And yes, as a moderator, I should know how to make these calls - but sometimes it just isn't clear. "Everything Else", maybe?
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Read the first line of my answer.

I could do it, but the cost would be prohibitive with the equipment I have. Try to find a printer having digital output, more like a copy center. This is their field of operation. Mine is more like you need 5000, I'm there. You need five, you loose your shirt, and then some...
You're not the only printer Yves.

Marc find a shop that has a NexPress or IGen. Quality is good and its all digital. The NexPress has the ability to coat the paper after output. Shops have a ton of money in them and they need to keep them running pretty much around the clock to make that payment.
10-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

And yes, as a moderator, I should know how to make these calls - but sometimes it just isn't clear. "Everything Else", maybe?
If in doubt, 'Everything Else' is the place to be.

Just to clarify my suggestion that it be put in 'Business'. If you're selling it Marc, then I would say that is the place to put it.
It's also an underutilised forum so it would help the thread count as well.
10-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You're not the only printer Yves.

Marc find a shop that has a NexPress or IGen. Quality is good and its all digital. The NexPress has the ability to coat the paper after output. Shops have a ton of money in them and they need to keep them running pretty much around the clock to make that payment.
Good to know graphicgra8s, but how do you find such shops? Do they advertise "we use NexPress"? Can you google it? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I want to know too.
BTW Marc, I think 'general photography' is the best place for this. I too would like to produce a calendar this year.

NaCl(and I found in in the General Photography forum not the "Pro")H2O
10-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Good to know graphicgra8s, but how do you find such shops? Do they advertise "we use NexPress"? Can you google it? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I want to know too.
BTW Marc, I think 'general photography' is the best place for this. I too would like to produce a calendar this year.

NaCl(and I found in in the General Photography forum not the "Pro")H2O
Yeah we are doing a calendar also with pictures of the baby. I am running it in house since I only need 10-15. But I am putting it on a Xerox Doc 12. The Nexpress's are way better but it doesn't cost me to run them on the Doc 12, so.....

Try a google search.
10-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the info.

John
10-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Thanks for the help, I appreciate the info.

John
John you could also go try your local print shop. Most these days have color digital output at reasonable pricing. And most have decent quality if the machines are maintained. The only thing I don't like about the Doc12 is the fuser oil leaves a slight bar. But the color is really good.

Might recommend a PIP Printing. Tell them I sent you.