Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
question on price, photographing for an ad campain

I just contacted an advertising firm, and got a quick reply that they might hire me for an project. The project will be placed on airports (in Norway). So now theyr asking for my price. And really not sure where to start, any advice on pricing?

11-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
emr

Well done, Eric! Is there a Norwegian pro photographers association that could help you? I don't think this forum's mainly US based readers necessary can advise you on a suitable Norwegian project price.

http://www.kopinor.org/om_kopinor/medlemsorganisasjoner/forbundet_frie_fotografer perhaps?

Last edited by emr; 11-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.
11-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Well done, Erik! Is there a Norwegian pro photographers association that could help you? I don't think this forum's mainly US based readers necessary can advise you on a suitable Norwegian project price.

The Norwegian Association of Fine Arts Photographers / Member organisations / About Kopinor / Kopinor - Kopinor perhaps?
True, but there are a few European ones including a few in Sweden that may be able to help.
11-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Stewart Photo is a working Pro in Germany, It's not the same market, but he might be able to offer some advice.

11-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
I just contacted an advertising firm, and got a quick reply that they might hire me for an project. The project will be placed on airports (in Norway). So now theyr asking for my price. And really not sure where to start, any advice on pricing?
This is difficult to answer right out. I don't think, the Norwegian market is much higher priced than Germany, but prices have gone down dramatically over the last 12 months, as many phtographers and studios are struggling for survival. So the price-competition has been even hotter than before.

The agency will probably only need the raw shots and do all pp for themselves? If so, I would simply charge a daily fee of about 800 Euros (+ taxes + travel and rental expenses and other cost) for a simple shoot. If you need an elaborate set-up with modells and props etc. your personal dayly fee should be adjusted to be around 1200 Euros and the other costs will be much more massive (modell fees are quite high).

This is all very speculative, as the final fee, you can account, is very dependend on the type of shot, the time you need, the skills required etc. So I would simply ask for the available budget. The agency, if reputable, will make a honest offer and then you will have a sound base for bargaining, if it is below your expectations.

Ben
11-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #6

This thread on flickr has a *ton* of great resources to help you figure out what the market rate is for various types of photo work:

Flickr: Discussing "What to Charge", Releases, Licensing and Other Resources - Updated Regularly in Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer