Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cruising East Greenland - who was shooting what?

In September we went to Scoresby Sund in East Greenland on a 'small ship' cruise (50 passengers). It was advertised as 'photographic', although we chose it because it was the smallest ship available and we had been on a sister ship twice previously. There weren't any obvious specific photographic activites (hey, we would have all been out on deck shooting in all weathers whatever it was called!) although it materialised that one passenger used to be the editor of a German photo magazine, and I think the German clique were probably talking photography but I'd rather be shooting...

So, what was in use? Not including compacts I noted three 'full frame' Canons, three crop sensor Canons (don't ask what model - they all look the same to me...), three Nikons, one Sony, three Pentax (well five if you count my two bodies, and my wife's two bodies!), one Leica R9 (including one of the fancy two piece long tele lenses which was probably worth more than my outfit on its own!), and one Rollei TLR (shooting b&w since you ask!). No Olympus - despite the 'travel camera' marketing, no Panasonic (less suprising given historic market share). Ignoring the outliers, it pretty much reflect the balance of cameras on the trip we took to Antarctica 18 months ago - no real suprises with Canon dominant, but Sony almost invisible and no Olympus.

A small selection of my photos are on the East Greenland gallery at neilh's Photos.

10-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I have never lived in such icy conditions before, so these shots are a marvel to me.
Thanks for sharing them. Must have been a great (and chilly) trip.
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera distribution comes as no surprise.

Your photos are *wonderful*. Very hard to pick a favorite... The "clear ice" ones are very very cool - I kept seeing faces in them wherever I looked.

Jim
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great pix -- thanks for posting

11-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing, I've never been that far up North!