Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A question on freelancing

Hey everyone,

Hopefully this Q is not too off topic.

I absolutely love photography and just love seeing a really nice image pop out of my camera (film or digital or whatever). Ever since I picked up my Pentax DSLR for my Singapore/Sydney trip, I've never really put it down since. Whenever I hear the word 'assignment', something in my heart and mind click and I get really excited, whether it be a wedding, a photoshoot, a project, etc.

Which has me seriously considering doing freelance photography for events and weddings and portraits and such. I've done a lot of reading up on the business on photography but I would like to know people's personal experiences.

One thing that sort of came up for me was this: Most wedding photographers are booked way in advance of the wedding. My question is, if something comes up (like you get sick, seriously injured or a family member gets sick or seriously injured or... something to that extent) and you're forced to back out like a week before the wedding... I mean, how do you deal with that? That obviously looks really bad. Do you folks ever have a backup plan?

I know it's an extreme hypothetical situation, but I guess I'm just curious.

Thanks!!

11-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As hypothetical as it is, that's reality.
Studios have the luxury of staff numbers, even couple photographers can manage OK in times of sickness, but on your own, you're it - you've been booked & paid for, you're responsible.

Never had an issue to date, touch wood, but the thought would never occur to me not to turn up for a booked wedding for any reason I can forsee happen. And as for sickness, I'd probably soldier through it and pay for it later in prolonging the aches and pains that go with it...
11-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As they say 'sick happens'. If you're too ill to get out of bed then you can't do the shoot. Seriously, how many times have you been that seriously unwell? If you're hospitalised then the bride and groom will understand! Anything less and you're expected to soldier though!

One thing I will add though is don't go cold into wedding photography! Try to be the second shooter for a professional first. Also, nobody is going to hire you without a portfolio so you may have to work pro bono for a while.
11-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh, definitely definitely planning to do some second shooting before I even start doing it hardcore. Pro bono will be the norm for a while, that's for sure.

I totally understand about being sick but still pushing on ward. But yeah, my hope is the bride and groom would understand if something does come up (like family emergency or something) and I have to back out. I guess its the whole idea of being booked 1 year in advance and not really knowing what will happen then!

11-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Most full time wedding shooters I know all kind of keep a network of other shooters who could bail them out in such a situation. It's kind of like a everyone's got eachother's back sort of thing, since they're all in the same boat and just as vulnerable.
11-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you work on your own, you definitely need a colleague who can jump in, if necessary. Even if you are in hospital, this will probably not prevent you from being sued, as you have signed a formal contract in advance (you have, haven't you), to secure your payment and to ensure the couple, that you work professionally. So, you should have a network locally or regionally. Also, in the worst case, you need to give your insurance guy a call. Because you will haveofcourse a business insurance, which covers possible claims...

Ben
11-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your contract with your client, you should have a clause for situations like this.

It's something that does happen, and your client should be aware of what will happen in case it does happen.

11-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #8

My cousin was in a situation like this last year for her wedding. Her photographer actually had a heart attack the morning of the wedding. His assistant found him on the floor when coming in to get ready to leave for the ceremony. The assistant had a good head for the situation, called another local photographer that they work closely with to come in on short notice. My cousin's contract with the photographer does have a clause about emergencies and finding a replacement, but my cousin being a carefree bride and was more worried about her photographer's well being then anything (she even sent him flowers). I had my camera taking "getting ready" shots, but I was doing the videography for her and after talking with the photographer and assistant I felt that they definitely had things under control. Day went beautifully, her photos turn out gorgeous and the photographer eventually made a full recovery. So just take in consideration of writing something about emergencies in your contract and like others have said try to make friends with some of the local photographers just in case you need to call them in case of an emergency.
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Hey everyone,

Hopefully this Q is not too off topic.

I absolutely love photography and just love seeing a really nice image pop out of my camera (film or digital or whatever). Ever since I picked up my Pentax DSLR for my Singapore/Sydney trip, I've never really put it down since. Whenever I hear the word 'assignment', something in my heart and mind click and I get really excited, whether it be a wedding, a photoshoot, a project, etc.

Which has me seriously considering doing freelance photography for events and weddings and portraits and such. I've done a lot of reading up on the business on photography but I would like to know people's personal experiences.

One thing that sort of came up for me was this: Most wedding photographers are booked way in advance of the wedding. My question is, if something comes up (like you get sick, seriously injured or a family member gets sick or seriously injured or... something to that extent) and you're forced to back out like a week before the wedding... I mean, how do you deal with that? That obviously looks really bad. Do you folks ever have a backup plan?

I know it's an extreme hypothetical situation, but I guess I'm just curious.

Thanks!!
That's what well written contracts are for. During my meeting with B&G (and before I take a deposit) I explain this as well as other catastrophic things that may happen (i.e. my car burns to the ground with all my memory cards as I am driving home from the wedding). Then I explain the precautions that are in place to avoid catastrophe or deal with them once they have taken place. It is good to be paranoid about everything bad that might happen when you take an important job.
11-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
exactly. I like to make sure I have my bases covered before I do an undertaking like this.

Seems to me like spelling it out in a contract and having backup photographers is a good idea. But even with that spelled out in the contract, how do you folks find clients react? Does it turn away business?
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
how do you folks find clients react? Does it turn away business?
If someone seems uncomfortable with the fact that there is a VERY small chance that I may not be able to make it to their wedding because I have had a life threatening accident then this is the perfect time to walk away... Nobody has ever had a problem but I have no hesitation turning down work from the kind of person who seems uncomfortable with the fact that sometimes bad $hit happens that is beyond all reasonable control
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When I was an assistant, I had a wedding boss total his BMW on the way to a wedding (rolled over). He called the office before the ambulance got there for a 'fresh shirt and some backup gear'.

The ambulance got there and put a bandage on his head.

Boss shot the wedding all day.

At the end of the wedding, father of the groom says, 'would you like a drink?' Boss says, 'No thanks, I'm going to the emergency room now.'

Point is, if you get sick before the wedding. Tough shit, you're on a contract. This is probably one of the hardest to deal with scenarios in the business. You can join a network of photographers though. Many communities have a 'go to' of photographers that will cover for each other in times of need like this.

good luck.