Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One of the multiple weddings I attended this summer was for my niece. At the wedding, I remember the flash from photographer they hired flickered so fast and furious, I assumed it was for red-eye reduction. It turns out he was taking five to ten shots every time he pulled the trigger. Ok, better safe than sorry.

However, after the wedding, he sends my niece several thousand shots from which she is to choose her keepers. It took her months to wade through them. To make matters worse, the shots were so covered by his watermarked logos, that it was difficult to see the eyes and expressions.

Is this a new trend for wedding pros to leave it to the customer to sort out the shoot?

(For me as an unpaid photographer who is often called upon to shoot events, it is a matter of pride to sort out the crap and post process before I send out my work).
Ya know I said something similar to someone recently. Why would a photographer want to send ALL the proofs to the client? I would never do that...I would and do as you do...sort out the 'keepers' and only send those.

10-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #77
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does seem like poor form from the photog to hand over 1000+ images to the couple to sift through - unless the photog thought all of his/her multiple exposures of the same scene were worth showing. I'd still do the culling and have only the best images go through from each stage of the wedding, and even after that is done I can still get over 300 images, each of which would get PP to optimise their look.
10-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I was shooting weddings now, I would never give all proofs to the client. Not only are you as good as your best shot, you are as bad as your worst shot.

I forget how many rolls I'd shoot with 35mm, but the wedding planner I worked for briefly provided 10 rolls - of 120 size - for the Bronica I was using at the time. That's not much wiggle room.

Frankly if the client wanted "all the shots", I'd weed out the worst ones and lesser dupes, then just renumber the remainder in sequence :-)
10-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
both new trend in laziness.

11-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
both new trend in laziness.
The latest trend I'm seeing locally is "your wedding photos delivered to you on DVD by the end of the reception." Seems like a good idea that many photogs are bringing laptops to weddings to compete with this new threat.

Waaa?
11-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Since this thread started, I've talked about this with other friends who call this the "statistical" method of photography. Take enough shots, and statistics say you will get some good ones. If that is the plan, I don't see it as a good move to expose the theory to the client. As per a thread a few years ago by some of our most respected contributors, editing is a vital part of the job of a photographer.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #82
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I call it the 'blunderbuss' approach - 'spray and pray' without much thought into what makes good wedding images. Shoot and burn characterises the typical weekend warrior's work - without editing, it's merely unfinished business...

11-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Frankly if the client wanted "all the shots", I'd weed out the worst ones and lesser dupes, then just renumber the remainder in sequence :-)
I do this as a matter of course. Why would you send files with the camera assigned name/number?