Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Having someone want do Work Experience with you

Someone wants do Work Experience with me on a wedding gig.. I am OK with this. What are the insurance cover with this? As my insurance only covers me, as I don't empoly anyone.. Or can I have the Work Experience person sign a form.. Photography with me at your own RISK

01-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the program is administered through a school you could contact the school to see if their insurance will cover the student.
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The girl did say she is about to start a TAFE course in photography..
01-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Adrian.

There are a number of points to consider, and their impact on you mainly depends on the other party's relationship to you.

If they are over 18 and are not employed by you, then they are essentially not your responsibility. However, if it might be construed that you have a training relationship, things get a little murkier, as you could have a responsibility to provide for their safety and those of others they come into contact with, while they're with you. The fact that money isn't changing hands either way probably mitigates against you being responsible for them in any way, but civil courts can do unexpected things.

However, if they're under 18 years old and not financially independent from their parents, you could have a responsibility for their care. In that case, I'd seek some form of indemnity from their parents, but you will still have to ensure that you pay great attention to their safety.

Hope that helps.
Rob

01-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just be courteous and frank to the student. Insurance won't cover her and any issues can be discussed with her parents beforehand (if this is applicable).

She should be aware of any 'risks' she would be taking doing work experience with you, and you should make it clear that she should not get in the way of your job.
01-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might definitely want to consider some kind of legal document specifying the school/student insurance will cover any medical issue the intern will have or specifying liability coverage limitations on your part. Consider what would happen should the intern trip on your tripod and crack their head on your property.

Better safe than sued.
01-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
If it is anything like the program here in the UK, the person at the school who administers the program should have all the info you need. I believe here, that the students are covered by the program for insurance.
The more important question on insurance is your equipment, and will it be covered if she has an accident with it?