Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Magazine cover compensation

I've got someone from a magazine wanting to use an image from this set as their cover image for a new magazine:

Head - a set on Flickr

I wondering how much to charge. This new magazine will be going to advertising agencies around the world and should be fairly high profile. The company is based out of Montreal.

I have no experience with this kind of stuff, so i thought I'd ask you guys. Also, as a side note, should I insist on sending the images only after payment is received, but send watermarked versions to prove they do exist?

Thanks,

Eric

02-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's a legitimate magazine, they would laugh at you if you said you would only send hi-res once payment was recieved. That's not how mags work. You send lo-res, they put it in layout, they like and ask for hi-res, you send that, they say ok we're going ot use it and typically tell you what they'll pay for it, then you send an invoice or they send a contract.

Your first questio nshould have been, "Ok, what do you pay for a cover?" Then from there you can negotiate higher if you want, but most magazine don't stray too far from whatever they typically pay. You have a be a big deal to get them to pay you more than they pay everyone else. Covers can range from $500 to thousands, depending on the magazine readership size, distribution and what kind of advertisers they have. Start by find out what they usually pay, and how big their reader base is.
02-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay thanks for the reply I'm new to this and this is definitely not what i do professionally.

Thanks for the help!
02-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that's a pretty cool mask. No surprise that they want to use it for a cover. Congrats! How'd you make it?

02-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i would say that you should ask Jen how much she wants to make since she shot the photos:

quote from your flickr]
Papercraft head made for halloween.

Thanks to Jen for helping me out with the photos.
[end quote

BUT

maybe you shot them i dont know.....

you might have to title her as an assistant if you set the camera up and just told her to point and shoot...

it's late, imn titred. i hope i don't sound like a jerk
02-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, we've gotten to the point of agreeing on a price, now I have to create some sort of image licensing agreement.

Can anybody give some advice on this?

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
i would say that you should ask Jen how much she wants to make since she shot the photos:

quote from your flickr]
Papercraft head made for halloween.

Thanks to Jen for helping me out with the photos.
[end quote

BUT

maybe you shot them i dont know.....

you might have to title her as an assistant if you set the camera up and just told her to point and shoot...

it's late, imn titred. i hope i don't sound like a jerk
She was the assistant on this project. Don't worry, she'll get a credit.
02-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Did they ask for an image licensing agreement? Keep in mind this IS what magazines do and they generally don't expect or WANT contributers to be re-inventing the wheel. Like someone else already said - page prices are usually pre-set and licensing agreements will already be drafted.

Cover's are pretty much the only space in most magazines worth any money these day unfortunately so congrats on that

02-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dutch Quote

She was the assistant on this project. Don't worry, she'll get a credit.
ok cool. i haven't looked at the set in a while, but for some reason when i looked at it, i thought that she was the photographer. if she was the assistant she really isn't entitled to anything except the compensation that she agreed to for the labor. buuuuut, you can always be nice....

ask them how many copies go into circulation. that will be a big factor in deciding how much they should pay. also, if you can, get a copy of the mag and look at the other advertising going into it. if looks like big dollar advertising i.e. full pages, spreads, professional looking stuff they can probably pay you more. the reason for that is that magazines survive off of the advertising sales as much as or more than they survive on magazine sales.

so if you can determine if they have a high or low ad sales volume, you can get a better idea.

there is a site somewhere that someone may have a link to, i dont. it is photoquote or fotoquote or fotoquotepro or something like that.

good luck.

...when is your deadline?
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
congrats on the cover. that mask is way cool, sweet halloween costume