Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

New website - fine art landscape photography - need your feedback

Hi there.

After dozens of hours of work I've finally finished my new website! My previous site was in Gallery 2 format, and a few weeks ago I've decided to abandon it, because of the difficulty with cart integration and the very technical customization.

My photos were mainly shot with a Pentax K10d, except for a few oldies made with a Konica Minolta A2.

You can check it at - José Ramos

Your feedback is much appreciated!

02-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful job. The site was easy to navigate and well laid out. Photos are fantastic also.
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

very nice!

good to see another Zenfolio user making a kick-ass page
(speaking of which... i'll have to p.m. you about how you made the Prints and Newsletter pages)

the only thing i am not a big fan of is 1 folder/group with 100+ photos in it but that's probably just me.

good luck!
02-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Terrific images and website.
Love your PP.
I really hope in a near future do also great landscape images like yours.

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

02-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your feedback so far.

I thought about creating some main galleries, but in the end it wouldn't make sense. The site is easily browsed, and adding an extra layer of categories wouldn't help it. Each one of my works is an individual piece with an added concept about it, and I wouldn't like to arrange them in simple categories like "waterscapes", "landscapes", etc.

I'm looking forward for other pentaxian's opinions!
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The website looks great and so do the images. I like the slideshow so I don't have to search for your pics.
02-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your images certainly speak for themselves, and they do speak volumes. Beautiful work and nice website setup.

I use gallery2 and have been for a couple of years. I agree that customization is somewhat difficult- even if my other reality is IT and managing servers and systems, not having the time to mess around with PHP and CSS customizations makes it even more difficult to get Gallery2 just right. I have successfully enabled a shopping cart and can have people pay with PayPal or Google checkout, however it's not anywhere near as smooth or sophisticated as what you see in commercial sites.

Regarding galleries and grouping of images - if you plan on continuing to add images, remember that navigating through hundreds of images, page after page after page, is not likely to be much fun. Right now you have 10 pages, or if you use the show-all function, 116 images displayed. By the end of the year, will you have 20-30 pages, 300 images or more? If you don't have at least some basic organization, it will be really difficult for people to navigate and make choices.

03-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Forum Member

Love the site and the pictures, but from where im standing (Sweden), the site is just darn slow. Takes about 10 seconds to load one of the pics which makes the whole thing unbearable.

Something to think about maybe?
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for your input.

The site is hosted in Zenfolio, which usually doesn't have problems with speed. I'm sorry to know that it's slow over there...
03-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jose, no worries - sites like ZenFolio, SmugMug, Flicker, etc are global so their servers' speeds will vary throughout the day and depending on an individual's location and internet connection.

In other words, with a website of that caliber, don't worry about it!
05-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Jose,

Wow! Beautiful photos and a beautiful site. Well done.

Irene Sophie
05-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful images and fantastic site!

I think that Maxxim has a problem on his end with the speed as my connection at work is actually quite slow and the slide show flew along and reloaded effortlessly.

I would love to learn your techniques for producing such wonderful photos......I guess that I will get better with time but it is very humbling to see how far I have to go.
05-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree that better organization and ideally, less images are in order. I think the majority of the images looks great. I think you're PP is what I would typically classify as 'over the top', but I actually like it. Which is usually not the case.

What is the purpose of your website? If it is to try and sell prints to people, then I think you need to make it easier to navigate, since people aren't going to want to click through hundreds of photos to find something they like. It really wouldn't hurt to take a bunch out. Having a professional presentation is all about tight editing of what you choose to show. I think you would be better off just choosing a dierse set of your best 25-40 images, and have that be it. And change things out as you make new photos, but don't just let it keep growing.

If you're goal is to try and attract client and have people look through your portfolio and hire you for assignments, then you're gallery is waaay too big. 10-15 images is ideal for that.