Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
UK Police Strike Again

Really sucks to be you guys. Photographer films his own 'anti-terror' arrest | UK news | The Guardian

02-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Reading the article, all I see is a knowledgeable photographer being an ass.

Where I come from, when an officer of the law asks you for identification, you give it to him, no matter what the reason.

He was being a dick and after many attempts by the police to reason with him their only option was to take him into custody.

Unless the guy is a deaf mute I have no sympathy for him.
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
Reading the article, all I see is a knowledgeable photographer being an ass.

Where I come from, when an officer of the law asks you for identification, you give it to him, no matter what the reason.

He was being a dick and after many attempts by the police to reason with him their only option was to take him into custody.

Unless the guy is a deaf mute I have no sympathy for him.
I agree, he is an unfriendly guy who enjoys not being cooperative at all. Insisting with his "are we being detained, officer?" he is the opposite of polite and calm he claims to be in his narrative voice over.

Stefan
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do agree with Gooshin, they may have avoided any trouble by just being polite the first time.

02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Living in a place where I've never once been approached, even in cases where I fully expected to, and rightfully so, I can agree with you guys. But if I were in his shoes, and living in a place where there are stories of photogs constantly being pressed for the most casual of shooting, I'm not so sure. He had every right to not show his ID initially. So basically, he became suspicious merely for exercising that right.
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
He had every right to not show his ID initially.
Please, explain this to me.

Identification exists for a reason.

When an officer of the law requests your identification I see only one rational reason to withhold it, that is if you are under the impression that you are facing an impersonator.

This is how it goes on in my head.

Person acts suspecion, you as the officer approach them (for whatever reason, could be something as silly as a hunch or a brain fart)

You request their identification.

They give you their identification. The ID provides no clues or hints to anti-social activity on behalf of the individual.

You hand back the identification, apologize for being an inconvenience, give a salute, and continue your patrol.

Atleast in Russia, this is how countless illegal immigrants, forged documents (person, insurance, etc), and even people who dont pay child support are caught on a daily basis.

If you have done nothing wrong you are free to go and you are seldom hassled (at least as a pedestrian)
02-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that isn't in Russia now, is it? Wasn't that also the place where you also needed papers to go just about anywhere 30 or so years ago?
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When an officer of the law requests your identification I see only one rational reason to withhold it, that is if you are under the impression that you are facing an impersonator.
That's something that I never thought of.
At least in Canada if you have a reason to believe that the officer is an impostor I believe that your allowed to politely ask to see the officers ID.
Although I wouldn't want to ask them if they're mad at you for something.

02-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Identification exists for a reason.

This is how it goes on in my head.

Person acts suspecion, you as the officer approach them (for whatever reason, could be something as silly as a hunch or a brain fart)

You request their identification.

They give you their identification. The ID provides no clues or hints to anti-social activity on behalf of the individual.

You hand back the identification, apologize for being an inconvenience, give a salute, and continue your patrol.

Atleast in Russia, this is how countless illegal immigrants, forged documents (person, insurance, etc), and even people who dont pay child support are caught on a daily basis.

If you have done nothing wrong you are free to go and you are seldom hassled (at least as a pedestrian)

Pretty much exactly how it works here too. If you are looking for trouble or have something to hide because you are already in trouble, then you take the obstinate route...and go to jail. Not all that complicated. Cops usually have a reason for asking for ID....few of them just look for trouble, their job brings plenty without them looking for more.
Regards!
02-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
At least in Canada if you have a reason to believe that the officer is an impostor I believe that your allowed to politely ask to see the officers ID
I've been pulled up a few times for speeding and almost always ask the officer to show me the detected speed on their radar gun. You have the right to check that, this goes for his/her ID also. But being in a police car is usually enough to confirm his/her position.
02-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, the wannabe cop wanted to know who he was, no big deal. Show your ID and be a good boy.
He is lucky it did not happen in the states, instant mace, tazer, gun to the head and beating to pulp. Not saying it would not have been deserved with that attitude..
At least you do not need a travel permit to get around,,, so far..
History does repeat it self, I have been told.
Be careful out there.

Cheers,Mike.
02-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Where I live, which is also in Canada, you don't have to show your ID to a police officer if he doesn't have a valid reason to ask for it. Asking your ID because you are taking pictures is not a valid reason. Asking your ID because you're speeding is a valid reason.
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Where I live, which is also in Canada, you don't have to show your ID to a police officer if he doesn't have a valid reason to ask for it. Asking your ID because you are taking pictures is not a valid reason. Asking your ID because you're speeding is a valid reason.

I agree with you there

But in this case the officers explained why they wanted their ID, after that point he was generally just being rude. I expect the Police would only ask for your details if they required them, that is why they are there. They are around to protect us, if they ask you for something you give it to them unless you feel unsafe, but in this case I can see no reason he would feel unsafe. They were generally just trying to be difficult. Had they given up their information they could have gone easily.

When you are acting suspicious and repeatedly filming the police when they ask you not to, you are getting into the reasonable doubt. The Police did all they could to explain it to them, why they didnt comply is beyond me.

When the unit that is in place to protect your freedoms, why would you not comply?
02-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Living in a place where I've never once been approached, even in cases where I fully expected to, and rightfully so, I can agree with you guys. But if I were in his shoes, and living in a place where there are stories of photogs constantly being pressed for the most casual of shooting, I'm not so sure. He had every right to not show his ID initially. So basically, he became suspicious merely for exercising that right.
And where you're from it is a crime NOT to ID yourself. If you cannot produce some sort of paper ID, you better hope They can. That is until someone can come to the Jail and positively identify you.
02-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not true at all, but as in this case, yes they will eventually find a reason to compell you do produce it.
Closed Thread