Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Define professional

As sort of an off-shoot of a [silly] topic I posted in general discussions, I'm curious as to how all of you folks would define a [credible] professional photographer.

I'd love to hear your opinions/criteria as to what YOU think qualifies and/or doesn't qualify. I think it might make for an interesting discussion.

03-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/32238-photography-professional.html
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

This has been "explained" here before. Why rehash it?
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know others disagree with this definition, but I consider anyone who charges for their photography to be a professional photographer. I see it kinda like being an actor. Once someone willingly steps on a stage, they automatically become an actor. They may be a really, really BAD actor, but they're an actor, all the same.

03-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

no, thats just a GWC.
03-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone whose income is through their photography. Semi pro is someone who needs a second job to sustain themselves.
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
This has been "explained" here before. Why rehash it?
I'm very, very new here, graphicgr8s so I had no idea it has been discussed before. Sorry.

03-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, you could use the criteria that the major camera manufacturers use to define "a professional" and control access to their "professional" support services... 50% or more of your income must be derived from photography in order for them to consider you a professional. And good or bad generally doesn't enter into it, just what you earn.

Mike
03-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
I'm very, very new here, graphicgr8s so I had no idea it has been discussed before. Sorry.
I am sorry also. Didn't mean to come off so gruff.
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #10

Well, this is one term that gets thrown around and misused quite too often. A professional anything is someone who makes 100% of his or her income off of the certain activity. A semi-professional is someone who makes part of his or her living off of a certain activity. An amateur is someone who has something like photography as a hobby and makes no steady income from it. There are different types of amateurs who will having a varying degree of interest in their hobby.
If ______ is your profession (career), then you are a professional ________.
03-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturenut Quote
George is a jerk, he knows it and so do we , just ignore him. (that was tongue firmly in cheek George)

Anyway here with CPPA, you are considered Professional if you make 51% of your income from photography. For some reason that income level also seems to match the poverty line some months
03-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
George is a jerk, he knows it and so do we , just ignore him. (that was tongue firmly in cheek George)

Anyway here with CPPA, you are considered Professional if you make 51% of your income from photography. For some reason that income level also seems to match the poverty line some months
Peter I could plant my size 13 shoe firmly in your butt you know.

(Just kidding. I don't have a size 13. It's only a size 12)
03-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not "uncle Bob"
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Someone whose income is through their photography. Semi pro is someone who needs a second job to sustain themselves.
In this case, a good number of professional photographers would qualify as semi-pro, only because they need the "second job" to pay for the insurance they couldn't afford otherwise.
03-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #15
Damn Brit

You could consider any photographer that gets paid to be a professional, that would be the loosest definition to us but as far as the general public is concerned it would be true.
Getting paid and deserving to be paid are often two different things though.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/professional-photography-business/92264-h...tographer.html