Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been request a printed portfolio - help needed

Hi all

I'm a worker for the state and shoot during the weekends as hobbie.

I have been approach by a firm requesting me a printed portfolio so I would like to know some things and all advices are welcome.

First I don't intent to become a pro etc, I think the idea is for me to be someone they can call during the weekends if they need an extra camera for some event like surf (yes, pentax can shoot surf ) some specific and local nature and wildlive images etc... So, in fact I'm only available for something like that, nothing too much attach since I have my profession and like it.

So, I would like to know two things that come to my mind, the first one is how many images should I print to the portfolio and what size (20*30 equal A4 size ??)

Second thing I was thinking on selecting images from my PPG ( PENTAX Photo Gallery: Artist Bio - Nuno Fonseca ) . What do you think ?

If you think selecting some images from my PPG is a good idea, can you tell me your opinion on which ones I should select ?

Again, all advices are welcome.

Thanks in advance

03-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Nuno,

A difficult set of questions to answer, since Some questions for you - this might help you settle things:
  1. What does the firm/company normally do in the course of daily business?
  2. Did you receive any information on the specifics of a printed portfolio?
  3. What were the image expectations of the firm in terms of display size: web only, magazine (1/4, 1/2, full page), posters??

Sounds like you have what you need to make some selections since you've listed them - researching the firm a bit and knowing what they use and expect might be of help to you.

Normally the size a portable portfolio of prints can have a broad range, depending on the target audience. I would suggest it be somewhere between a series of 8x10 or 12x16 images. You could go larger - I suspect no higher than 16x20 - but that's getting too expensive and then you would reduce the overall number. I'd suggest you pick out 30 images and then prune them down to 10-20 of what you consider your best work for the portfolio. Make sure there's not a lot of repetition amongst the images, but they flow and compliment one another as the viewer goes through them.

These suggestions will tie into question #3 above as to size you need. Perhaps just one larger print to confirm the image quality for them if needed but I'd not go crazy. This is occasional work and specific to one firm. However, if you want a general portfolio, that's another matter.

Hope this helps in some way!

Regards,
Marc
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I have is an artists portfolio case (a large leather folder) like this

The case will hold 12x16 prints in plastic pages. It looks very professional and will make it easy to carry large prints as well as keep them from getting damaged.

As for prints, you don't need a lot. Maybe 10-12 will show what you can do and over time, you can add more if you get more shots closer to what the client wants.

I'd print (from PPG)
Going Home, Going Up, Over the wave, Off Board and any other similar shots you have when those were taken.
03-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi

I agree with the 12x16 size. When I delivered prints to models for their portfolios, I would generally give them 11x14. I've I were carrying around a portfolio, I would really not like to lug a 20x30 case around.

I'm wondering what the deadline is. The reason I say that is because when I put together a portfolio, I like to add some brand new images so that I am delivering a very current representation of myself.

Something else that is on my mind is that I keep thinking that they are going to want to keep this portfolio in order to show a client. What kind of firm are we talking about? As in, they can contract photographers for different clients or......?

Now, how many images can be up to you. Do you have tons and tons of good images? If you do, you could make a tabbed portfolio. Each tab could say 'wildlife', 'surf', 'nightlife' etc. So they pick up your book and flip over to the tab that says 'food' and love it and send you out to shoot an event dealing with food.
In all reality though, I don't think you want to slam them with a ton of images. However, in that department, you can do a google search probably and find a ton of super cool portfolio designs.

Have fun with it man. Remember, when it is all put together and finished, you have created a representation of how you see the world. You aren't making a report here. You can have all the flair you want, although it would be wise to play it cool (I think).

But again, as for size, you might want to just ask them what size they would prefer. Are they going to lay it out on a drafting table, or sit in a cubicle and look at it?

Have fun.

03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The firm is co-owned by a pro photographer.

I met the guy a couple of times, while shooting surf one time, other shooting landscape and this last one I was shooting birds and we talked. He asked to see some images on my view screen etc every time. This last time with the birds I still had (16gb cards ) some specific local birds and images from a sport event and he was interest enough to ask me for a printed portfolio giving me his card and making a firm position that I should call him for sure so we could meet at office and talk. I told him I was not in photography for the money but as an anti-stress hobby at weekends but he insisted that even so I should call and we should meet to talk.

He didn't say how many images, or printing size etc, just that the portfolio should show what I could do (maybe Marc idea of a general porfotlio is the way to go ) and they will give the portfolio back after the talk/evaluation.

They/firm shoot everything they are requested like events, concerts, sports, book editions etc and so maybe I should diversify the kind of images.

Reading all your hints I was thinking that I should pick some general/different images but also reserve maybe 10 images to show I can cover a photo story?
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

sounds like you get the idea.

i kind of want to chime in again:

this is your anti-stress deal and you do it for yourself. remember, you can always turn down jobs or change the terms of the contract before you sign. if you take jobs wherein you LIKE (love?) and agree to the terms, you will be able to keep that stress free feeling.

another thing, don't forget about the time you are going to spend processing. that is where my stress comes in....to the point that i have begun to outsource it...

peace
03-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I understand that this is the Azores, but don't people use online portfolios, these days?

03-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I understand that this is the Azores, but don't people use online portfolios, these days?
I was expecting someone to eventually ask this.

Everyone shoot canon or nikon here. I shoot Pentax so I think he asked for a printed porfolio because of that and that was the reason I was thinking about some 20*30 images.

(Pentax can perform well - I have been entering a lot of group expositions and printing 40*60 and more without any problem )

On the other hand, online portfolios don't show all about an image or at least can hide some defects, if any... and monitor calibration is always an issue in some places ...

Anyway, printed or online is already decided, I think question now is how many, what kind etc