Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Promotional Postcard

So I'm trying to grow my business a little, and I want to make sure all the guys at the races are aware of what I do. At first I figured I'd just walk around to everyone and say Hi and give them my business card, but as I was trying to find the best price for business cards I came across an even better price on postcards.

I hope that being able to hand out a postcard with more information and visual impact will help more than a business card.

The next race is next weekend, and I ended having to put together the design in one evening to be able to get them back before then. I would have liked a bit more time to work on the design - especially since I'm not exactly a graphic designer.

Let me know what you guys think.

Front:

Back:

03-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks great so far

also if you start with the format "Phone:" you might want to continue it for email and website

You may want to find a picture for the front that is without bugs and a sticker from the event on his helmet...To me something like that should be prepped and shot. The bugs really take away from it for me.
03-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think "Post card" is one word, and although "correct" English is to change "y" to "i" and add "er", I'm more used to seeing it as "Flyer" ("frequent flyers", "Philadelphia Flyers" (hockey) etc...)

And, postcards are hard to fit in a wallet, so the throwaway ratio wiill be higher.

Otherwise - nice!
03-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote
It looks great so far

also if you start with the format "Phone:" you might want to continue it for email and website

You may want to find a picture for the front that is without bugs and a sticker from the event on his helmet...To me something like that should be prepped and shot. The bugs really take away from it for me.
Thanks.

I probably should have dropped the "Phone:" and "http://" - I'll have to keep that in mind for when I need to get new ones.

I really wanted to use actual race shots, but with more time to put it together I might have been able to pick a better one or at least done a little more Photoshop work to clean it up.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think "Post card" is one word, and although "correct" English is to change "y" to "i" and add "er", I'm more used to seeing it as "Flyer" ("frequent flyers", "Philadelphia Flyers" (hockey) etc...)

And, postcards are hard to fit in a wallet, so the throwaway ratio wiill be higher.

Otherwise - nice!
While both "post card" and "flier" are both technically correct, I think you're right - the more I look at it "postcard" and "flyer" just 'looks' more right.

At the track most likely people won't have their wallet on them so it'll probably end up on a table or in a toolbox, and I hope the postcard will have a little more impact since it shows off some examples of photos etc.

03-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Emil, I'm moving this to the Pro and Business forum, I think it's more appropriate there.
03-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd say the photo on the front speaks for itself - shows the grit, the fact the photo was caught in action. Love the road reflection. I would only suggest (as I can't appreciate the actual card) it needs to be on glossy stock and perhaps a touch brighter (again, depending on how it looks on the card stock, not on my display).

As far as the back of the card, I would suggest cutting back on the words. You want the back to have as much impact as the front and that impact is taken away by having to read long sentences.

Great images - I hope you wear earplugs
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great looking postcard and idea emilf. Yes the helmet without the bugs would look prettier but if your at the track you know the helmets they wear don't look clean after that fist lap. So I guess it just comes down to what you are looking for.

I can't believe how early in the year you all start racing. Our first race here in Colorado is the weekend of May 1st.

Good luck and good idea of the postcard. I just had a bunch of business cards made up for me. I might look into a postcard also to see which one works the best.

Good luck at the races and can't wait to see your pictures.

Jim Browning
ROCKY MTN PHOTOS

03-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
I'd say the photo on the front speaks for itself - shows the grit, the fact the photo was caught in action. Love the road reflection. I would only suggest (as I can't appreciate the actual card) it needs to be on glossy stock and perhaps a touch brighter (again, depending on how it looks on the card stock, not on my display).

As far as the back of the card, I would suggest cutting back on the words. You want the back to have as much impact as the front and that impact is taken away by having to read long sentences.

Great images - I hope you wear earplugs
Thanks and yeah - they'll be on glossy stock. After I sent it off to get printed I did start wondering if the front was a touch too dark, but it's hard to say without a printer profile for that paper stock.

As for the back of the card I just want to make sure people are aware that I can offer more than just sell the photos from the track (thats all most of the other people do).

Earplugs aren't really needed for the bikes - they don't really make that much noise. The worst are some of the cars - particularly the Corvettes at American Le Mans races - they can really make your ears hurt.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Great looking postcard and idea emilf. Yes the helmet without the bugs would look prettier but if your at the track you know the helmets they wear don't look clean after that fist lap. So I guess it just comes down to what you are looking for.

I can't believe how early in the year you all start racing. Our first race here in Colorado is the weekend of May 1st.

Good luck and good idea of the postcard. I just had a bunch of business cards made up for me. I might look into a postcard also to see which one works the best.

Good luck at the races and can't wait to see your pictures.

Jim Browning
ROCKY MTN PHOTOS
Thanks. True about the bugs especially down here in the South.

We had the first race Feb 7-8 at Talladega, AL and I think it was about the worst you'll ever see these guys race. It was mid 30's and we even had some snow flakes here and there. A lot of people didn't even go out because they couldn't get their tires warm enough and the ones that did go out couldn't keep the tire temps up during the races.

I am having my cards printed by printkeg.com and I'll let you know how they turn out. They are really reasonable with their prices. $29 for 250 6x4's + shipping. I ended up getting 1,000 because it was only $12 more and their turnaround is really quick too. They got printed and shipped in one day!

I'll be going to a track day tomorrow, leave Thursday for a race at Roebling Road by Savannah and the week after I'll be going to Sebring for the American Le Mans race (just for fun though - would love to have credentials).
03-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Emil,

I like it all the way from the buggy helmet to the wording on the back (except for already mentioned flYer and Postcard comments). I think you've struck the right balance between the graphics and the words. Awesome job.

Mike
03-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
graphicgr8s

Not bad at all actually. The only thing I would have done is lighten up the background photo on the back and removed the "s" from Graphics Design. Also the phone number should be bold and larger without the word Phone. Personally I would have put it in red. Also the two art pieces on the bottom left needed a drop shadow
03-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Emil,

I like it all the way from the buggy helmet to the wording on the back (except for already mentioned flYer and Postcard comments). I think you've struck the right balance between the graphics and the words. Awesome job.

Mike
Thanks - I appreciate the nice comments - you're almost making me blush

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Not bad at all actually. The only thing I would have done is lighten up the background photo on the back and removed the "s" from Graphics Design. Also the phone number should be bold and larger without the word Phone. Personally I would have put it in red. Also the two art pieces on the bottom left needed a drop shadow
Thanks.

I'm not sure how visible the background photo on the back will actually be on the printed cards, but it was intended to be really light just as you mention. I might have ended up making it too visible.

Drop shadows on the two posters is a great idea - they do look a little flat.

Also a good comment about changing the color on the contact method. Actually I think it should be the website that was in red since that's how I'd prefer them to get in touch with me.
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
Thanks.

I'm not sure how visible the background photo on the back will actually be on the printed cards, but it was intended to be really light just as you mention. I might have ended up making it too visible.

Drop shadows on the two posters is a great idea - they do look a little flat.

Also a good comment about changing the color on the contact method. Actually I think it should be the website that was in red since that's how I'd prefer them to get in touch with me.
Whichever method you want to be contacted it should somehow be set apart. From what I see you want people to call first. And as a personal note I still prefer a phone number to look like a number, not a url. But that's me.

The background photo I assume you want grayscale but it looks like you still have color in it. It's not a true grayscale.