Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #1

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Selling Photo's of Celebrities

I know that to use or sell a photo of a person you have taken you need a model release but is it the same for celebrities. It probably is but why.
If a professional photographer can take an image of a celebrity and sell it to a magazine or news paper why can't any other photographer. If I was to take a photo of a celebrity in a public place or at a public function do I need a release to sell it to, or have it used/published in a magazine or news paper. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I would be interested to know. Thankyou.

03-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
What country?

The answer depends on the country and sometimes even the state or province.

IANAL but I think if you take the picture in one country and sell it in another, you
will probably have to check with both laws.

In many places, public figures (celebrities or politicians) can be photographed and those photographs sold if they are at a public event (movie launch, political campaign, etc). Note that in most places there are different laws for what pictures can be taken and when they can be sold. Not every picture you are allowed to take can be sold.

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan
03-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #3

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, good points you make there.
Does anyone know where I can find the rules/laws in Victoria, Australia for this.
I have looked and found some photography laws in Australia but not for the state of Victoria.
Thanks....
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Damn Brit

If it is considered as news, then I don't think you would need a release anywhere.
There is an issue of invasion of privacy but in a public place, that wouldn't hold up. I don't know about other countries but I know in Britain, subsequent to the death of Princess Diana, the media are expected to follow a code of conduct when photographing people who are in the public eye. It's been a long time since I read anything about it so I don't know the specifics or how stringent that code of conduct might be.

03-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read this? 4020 Φ NSW Photographer's Rights
Or this? Legal Information : Street Photographers Rights
Don't know if that's what you're after, I didn't read them.