Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A company asking me for a quote on full rights photo. how much to charge?

Hi, i just got an email from a company asking for a quote of a photo of mine adn they mentioned about full rights pricing. I'm not sure about the meaning of this or how much to charge? any help appreciated!.
Here's the link to my picture:
Click for the picture

many thanks!!

Last edited by CRPhoto; 03-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.
03-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I don't have a clue on what you charge, but from what I've learned you need them to define what "Full Rights" means to them. Do you have to remove the image from the web site they discovered you on? Do they officially own the Copyright and you have to hand over the originals and destroy your copies?

Depending on their answers and how much you "love" your image, I'd definitely start at the $2,500USD area. Why? Because it's an outstanding image...and if they are asking for rights, the "LIKE" your image.

Good luck...keep us posted in this thread so we learn from your experience.
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #3

I too have no idea how to answer your questions, but that is a damn good shot.

I'd ask them what they plan on using it for, ask them what their idea of full rights are, and charge them however much you think you would be willing to pay for that image and full rights to it.
03-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This might offer a little help. There may be other posts there to offer advice.

Full rights are often not needed but a phrase just commonly used. If they wanted the photo for any use they want, you still retain the copyright to it and can also use or sell it elsewhere. But for them, that's worth around the amount suggested above.

Many years ago I sold an image to an oil company and they bought the copyright. So then I had to destroy any copies of the original. They owned it completely. Selling price $25,000.00. But the price is also reflective of how unique the image is.

03-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers and comments about the image. I will send and email asking them about their "full rights" interpretation. I like the image but definitely it's one I can trade for $2500..(hmm 645D savings fund??). I have a friend who also sold and image to an airline and I think he got like $2k. I will try to get his opinion on this.
I'll keep you posted on what happens when I get the email back from them! thanks again.
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
So here's the reply...I'm still not too clear about the full rights thing. That's different from the copyright of the image if I read your posts above right?

-----------
"We develop sell sheets. They are 8.5" x 11" and two-sided. We were interested in using your photo as the main feature on the front page.
Once this document is complete, we will print 30 for distribution.
Full rights means that whatever we pay would allow us to use the photo again. With it being a FedEx image, our use will be limited."
-----------------------------

oh and what are sell sheets? thanks for any input.

Andre
03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Full rights means they own their copy of the image and can use it any way they like, as much as they like and as long as they like (unless you give a time limit - like 5 years or something). They never have to contact you and never have to pay again to re use the image. But you can stipulate that the image can not be used for illegal purposes and that it is only for their use. They can not resell the image without your prior consent.

Copy right means it's still and always your image to sell as many times as you like to anyone. But it's still your image. You should also insist that they have to give you some form of credit in any publications where possible.
03-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
'Full rights' would also I imagine cover any use in any medium - eg web/online, print, T-shirt, mosaic... etc. For any period of time. And allow them to do whatever they want with the image - retouch it, crop it, Photoshop it to bits etc. And resell it too, potentially, to someone else - like a stock photo web site, Getty images etc.

So you might like to let them know what your interpretation of 'full rights' is. I personally would want to set some modest restrictions on what they do with the image - eg limit resale of the image to third-parties like stock photo sites, limit use of the image to what they have proposed to do with it, and also only grant them the license to use the image for a limited period - eg 5 or 10 years. After which they can ask to have the license extended for a modest additional fee.

03-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Rawr, I agree with what you have added but not to reselling. That's a copyright issue. So if the T-Shirt is to be resold, then No. That goes for anything they could potentially resell. The copyright owner is the only one that has the right to resell. But the contract could stipulate a royalty if they want to resell.

So lets say they come up with a great poster that they are going to use the image and sell. Or maybe a book cover etc. Well, the OP doesn't have the distribution or sales avenues that the Full Rights client does. So maybe he says that all reselling opportunities must be cleared by him prior to implementation and he has the sole right to approve or disapprove of the use for reselling purposes.
Under that clause, he says that on a case by case basis, he will charge a Royalty for between 5% and 25% depending on the use and intended market. Blah Blah.

He needs to control the rights to his image and it's use outside the company other than free uses. Full rights isn't full and has limits.

The OP needs to be charging at least $2500.00 for the image to get a lawyer to draw up a basic contract.
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
Well thanks for all the info. I have written back to them and now I'm just waiting for their response. I took a lot of the things you guys mentioned and also about the limitations. We'll see how things turn out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the input!
01-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
Hi, i just got an email from a company asking for a quote of a photo of mine adn they mentioned about full rights pricing. I'm not sure about the meaning of this or how much to charge? any help appreciated!.
Here's the link to my picture:
Click for the picture

many thanks!!
Having taken a look at the photo, and it is an excellant photo, but it has a worldwide company name on the side of a jet. Typically when there is a trademark or servicemark involved, you have to have a property release on file before you can sell the image. This means, in this case, FedEX, has to give you permission to sell the image with their trademark or servicemark in it. If someone knows differently, please correct me.
02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Many years ago I sold an image to an oil company and they bought the copyright. So then I had to destroy any copies of the original. They owned it completely. Selling price $25,000.00. But the price is also reflective of how unique the image is.
Are you allowed to tell us what was so unique about that image? I'm mightly curious...
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Are you allowed to tell us what was so unique about that image? I'm mightly curious...
Maybe it's a photo of their CEO with his mistress or handing a bribe to a politician
02-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #14

I have a similar request from a NGO to use photos taken from a 2 year project I have just completed for a photo exhibition. I am thinking of quoting a rate for using the photos (only for the purpose of this exhibition) plus charges for an option to curate the entire exhibition depending on their budget they may get 2-3 images or up to a dozen???

I'm thinking of charging them like $300-400 per image? Is that reasonable? Maybe another 10k if they need some curating and framing. Your thoughts are appreciated!