Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
And you probably bought it yourself :-)
I might as well of for all the money I've made.

04-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't find these on your website - all the events are from 2008 or 2009.

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Photography as a career?

Over the past few weeks I have attended two large charity events, a show put on by a local players group, the towns confirmation ceremony and a concert.

The hundreds of photos taken have been put on my site or forwarded to the subjects. I have had phone calls and emails telling me how wonderful they are, so how many prints do you think I've sold? Go on guess...

Yep....

That's right......

One.
04-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For various reasons I'm doing away with the event section and revamping the photography pages altogether (and have been meaning to do it for the past six months at least!) so the Pallas players are found on the Galleries page.

Embarrassingly another group of photos I took on a Honda 50 run have received lots of nice comments when to be honest I think that they are not my best by any means as it was my first hack at this sort of event. Bike journalists tend to whinge about having to spend hours riding slowly back and forth for the camera, I can see why now. Not easy subjects at all.
www.tipprally.com/Hondaphoto (its on another site I run).
06-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
It is curious to me that I don't see any recommendations for fine art photography. Is there not much money in it, or is it just really really competitive?

I've sold a few prints at some charity art shows and at local coffee shops, but do you guys know of anybody who can make a living (or at least decent supplemental income) out of it?

06-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Use the connections/network you have and search for a way to include photography in it. For example, if you're an amateur musician then specialize in concert photography. Let the other musicians know that you're considering photo as a pro career and they will most likely spread the word. A friend of mine travelled all around the world participating in dog shows. Her network was huge (judges, breeders, owners etc.) so when she decided to start as a pro pet photographer the people in her network spread the word to help her out. Needless to say she has no problems getting assignments.

Check the competition in your area. Where I live there's only 1 pro photographer, and he's only shooting weddings/ceremonials and studio portraits. I am an amateur myself, but I sell a decent amount of photos simply because I am the only one offering my services in product/nature/landscape/press and concert photography. Unfortunately I don't have the guts to quit my job and go professional, so this means I have to say "no" to many assignments.

Kind regards
.lars