Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pricing individual photos for internet/print use

Hi guys,

I work as an editor for an international luxury real estate magazine. In the past, I did a (so far my first and only) paid shoot for them on a nearby ranch.

Today I was informed that they'd like to use some "lifestyle" shots of our immediate area for web and possibly print-based marketing. They're looking for 4-5 shots.

In my first experience with them, I was basically doing it as a favor and being paid my usual hourly rate as an editor while photographing. I was told that I'd be credited for my photos, but eventually that proved not to be the case. In the wake of this experience, I told the creative director that if they wanted to use my work in the future, they'd have to pay for it and credit me.

Now they want these new photos, and I'm unsure what to charge per shot. Anyone have any pointers for reasonable going rates?

04-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone had posted this Pricing and I haven't really had time to read it all but you might find some guidance there.

Last year I sold several shots to the Government Travel agency and they paid $500 per image that gave them 5 years to do anything they wanted except selling them. I still retain the copyrights. But a truely unique shot could be worth 5-10 x that.

I would say a bare minimum is $250.00 and up per image. It's very different than selling a print for $50-60 per because they will use them in many ways.

You need a contract so that you get credit on them and have clear terms about selling etc.

There was a thread about this that I'll try to find.
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the Thread. Charging and full rights. It's not completely on point but there's some good info there.
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Peter!

04-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Very good to know. Excellent link to gathering some more information on this as I have a hard time deciding on prices on the good quality shots i create. Thank you as well Peter.