Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
So they got rid of a mirror, so you could then attached a loupe viewfinder the the display screen? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
the idea of removing the mirror is to eliminate mirror slap. also for faster AF operation.

QuoteQuote:
One dial? So you have to hold another button down with the dial to change aperture/shutter speed? Not sure why then brought the ISO button down. I use a D7000 at work and hate the ISO button placement, this isn't quite as bad as you can still use your shooting hand, but the K5 has it and the exposure compensation in the perfect spot.
I could live with one dial. and I don't believe you have to hold a button down to change aperture/shutterspeed. all it takes is a designated button to change parameters. it is not as complicated as you might think.

QuoteQuote:
Even if they do make an EVF or OVF for the hotshoe, will it be obstructed if you pop the flash up or useless if you want to use an external flash?
I don't think Pentax made that an option.

QuoteQuote:
I have not held one obviously, but I can't image using anything bigger than a limited lens with the absence of a grip of any sort. With heavier lenses I always carry the system by the grip on the K5. I could see people that use both the K5 and K-01 forgetting there is a non-existent grip and having the camera slip right out of their hands.
the build looks very secure. boxy, thick and has a rubbery grip. to be honest, the K-01 alone looks more secured to handle than the K-5 with or without a grip. I have the K-7 so I pretty much know or feel what could be better for handling.

QuoteQuote:
I am trying to be optimistic but it seems like they stripped down a K5 of useful features and excellent layout, gave it to a designer to have his way with it, and market it to everyone at once without taking into consideration what people that already use Pentax are looking for.
every person has it's own preference. personally, I would had preferred something with an EVF as well, but it doesn't mean it's a dealbreaker especially for the K-01's size. the EVF would had been a dealbreaker if the K-01 is as small or slightly bigger than the NEX-7. but since it's still dslr size, I won't mind having to put up or use a hoodman loupe as an EVF alternative.

02-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
so

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
12-bit RAW, that's downgrade from k-5 even though it claims to use k-5 sensor.
My theory is there is a loss in iso ability in the design, causing the return to a 12bit spec for raw. It would be a trade off, having the image engine geared to video better, may have something todo with it as well.
02-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #48
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where is Pentax.jp announcement and full specs of K-01?
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #49
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
where is Pentax.jp announcement and full specs of K-01?
Maybe they forgot or left it up to us to get the news out

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #50
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe they forgot or left it up to us to get the news out
Really? There are rumors that K-01 is not for Japanese market...

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120203_509641.html

we can read here that no final decision about sales in Japan

Last edited by ogl; 02-03-2012 at 02:06 AM.
02-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #51
Veteran Member

"日本での発売は未定" = Pending sale in Japan..? So Pentax USA was the first to launch it?

There are rumors that K-01 is not for Japanese market...
uh-oh.... that's weird. I thought they, of all people, would be the ones most interested in this type of camera.
02-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
"日本での発売は未定" = Pending sale in Japan..? So Pentax USA was the first to launch it?
Europe too.

02-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #53

The K-01 is clearly not targeting the K5 or its competition. It is a pretty smart entry into the NEX space, but it makes me wonder what Pentax plans to do with the Q. Was the Q just an industry placeholder until the K-01?

Glad to see the abandonment of the .pef RAW format and throwing full support behind DNG. This will put pressure on the other manufacturers to dump thier proprietary formats.

Personally, I won't be buying one. I think the WG-1 better fits my needs for a second camera. I was expecting/hoping this announcement to be in the space above the K-5 - particularly in the optical path. Maybe there will be another announcement this spring. I really want to replace my K-7 with a less noisy system so now I am in a quandary. Do I buy a K-5 now and be 90% satisfied, or wait a few weeks and hope for a K-3 announcement.
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One really good feature on this camera

Hallelujah! Here's a DSLR-grade camera with a hot shoe! No more need to fire a built-in flash in master/slave mode to trigger a second flash .... just slip on the old Vivitar 285 with diffuser and fire away. It's about time all DSLR manufacturers recognized the need for either a hot shoe or a PC connection on pro-sumer grade cameras, not just on their $3K models.
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
It's about time all DSLR manufacturers recognized the need for either a hot shoe or a PC connection on pro-sumer grade cameras, not just on their $3K models.
I'm not aware of any that don't have a hot shoe.
02-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #56

I'd like to see manual to see more... Where did you find AF tracking in video?
Have a look at the official specs.

The link is in Adam's post.
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Does anyone know if the maximum flash sync speed stayed at 1/180 sec ?
2. What about the possibility to use remote flash?

Apologizing if this has been discussed before.

JP
02-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

K-01 - Spegellösa Systemkameror - PENTAX Photo

The PENTAX K-01 comes equipped with a newly developed CMOS image sensor measuring 23.7 millimeters by 15.7 millimeters. With approximately 16.28 effective megapixels, this extra-large sensor assures high-speed readout of image data signals. The K-01 also features the new “PRIME M” imaging engine to assure first-rate movie recording performance in a digital interchangeable lens camera. It also offers an extra-wide sensitivity range -from ISO 100 to ISO 12800, or to ISO 25600 when expanded using a custom function- while minimizing annoying digital noise at all sensitivity levels.
02-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #59
ogl
Banned

New features in K-01

1. Prime M processor
2. Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features shutter speed and aperture exposure control, video autofocus control
3. 81 AF points
4. No PEF
5. Focus Peaking
6. New SR
7. Three (green and red + AF/AE-L) programmable buttons
8. AF tracking
9. New sensor
10. In-camera stereo microphone
11. 1024 metering
12. New HDR mode
13. Metering range: EV -1 to 21

everybody could add smth new or change it

Last edited by ogl; 02-07-2012 at 07:40 AM.
02-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #60
Banned

Any idea about the video quality output?