Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll need to try it, but no 2nd dial? The NX200 has a second dial. No second dial, no EVF, big. I think there are too many compromises here. The only saving grace is that we can use our current lenses without an adapter. I think this is a big mistake, but I'll have to hold it in my hands first.

02-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #32

It's about the same size of the K-x, the difference is very small: Compare camera dimensions side by side
Lose the OVF and Phase-Detection for... what?
02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I'm a little disappointed that this will be the K1, OK, K-01. I had hoped that designation would be the next pro-level DSLR, rather that this consumerish video thingie. I guess I'll stay tuned.
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #34

True indeed. My biggest disappointment with the K-5 is its lousy AF as soon as it's a bit darks. Doesn't have to have much better IQ than the K-5. It's already a marvel. The main problem of the K-01 IMHO is the absence of VF which basically makes it unuseable in some conditions. K-5 dirty sensor problem is a thing from the past btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if it focuses much faster and accurately than the K-5 and has much better IQ than the K-5 or NEX-5n, and has focus peaking and AF-tracking, then it's worth the shot. I would prefer if they would sell the K-01 with the new kit DA40 at $750, which would make it much more tempting for new dslr buyers and possibly buyers who are considering the K-5. the K-5 is still expensive at $1,000 or $900. so something cost less than the K-5 and castrated but is still an improvement would be much more tempting than the K-5. the K-5's dirty sensor, flash problems still scare me.

02-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery
I think it's an interesting choice. Pros and cons of K5 vs K-01 aplenty, but one salient point as a mirroless, it must employ a different focusing algorithm altogether, and there will be no need for compensation lens-to-lens variations for focus accuracy for a contrast-detection focus. As far as focus speed, only time will tell, i do expect it would not be as fast as the K5. I believe phase detection is inherently superior for predictive focusing.
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

title problems? Official Pentax K-01 Specifications Revelead
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I'll need to try it, but no 2nd dial? The NX200 has a second dial. No second dial, no EVF, big. I think there are too many compromises here. The only saving grace is that we can use our current lenses without an adapter. I think this is a big mistake, but I'll have to hold it in my hands first.
I think it's pretty difficult to compare both K-01 and NX200. reason for considering the K-01 is for Pentax KAF. reason for NX200 is for NX AF. IQ can swing both ways. for me the K-01 is worth considering due to my Pentax lenses. but the problem is if the rumored Samsung high end body is better by a mile, more compact than the K-01 and priced around $900, it could potentially weaken the K-01 sales. the screwdrive is the chink on the armor on the Pentax camera.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 02-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is now a sort of a viewfinder screen display magnifier accessory.
Does that exist, or is it introduced along with the K-01? Any links?
Mind, the 50mm "normal" lens (rather than 30mm) on the roadmap suggests that there is a larger sensor on the way?
That would also explain the 40mm better in my view.
02-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Does that exist, or is it introduced along with the K-01? Any links?
Mind, the 50mm "normal" lens (rather than 30mm) on the roadmap suggests that there is a larger sensor on the way?
That would also explain the 40mm better in my view.
I'm referring to the hoodman loupe which can be attached to the display screen. it works just like an EVF except better since you'll be looking on a magnified larger screen. so there is no issue what lenses you use. a 50mm would still look 50mm on your display.
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I saw this and I swear I heard a sad trombone somewhere (waaaah--whaah). I need a viewfinder, either optical or EVF. Just give me a viewfinder.
02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I think it's pretty difficult to compare both K-01 and NX200. reason for considering the K-01 is for Pentax KAF. reason for NX200 is for NX AF. IQ can swing both ways. for me the K-01 is worth considering due to my Pentax lenses. but the problem is if the rumored Samsung high end body is better by a mile, more compact than the K-01 and priced around $900, it could potentially weaken the K-01 sales. the screwdrive is the chink on the armor on the Pentax camera.
If the NX 20 ends up being 900, then I'm sold, but I think that will eat into the NX200 sales. The only reason I didn't buy an NX200 is because it lacked the EVF(and even then only a waiting game to see what else came out). Selling off the majority of my kit would also be painful, even if I kept one of my bodies for my KAF keepers. Considering what I shoot lately though, I could probably be happy with the NX200 with the 20 and the 30mm primes. I use the DA21 and the FA35 almost exclusively of late. How much would it have cost them to throw in one extra dial?
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
How much would it have cost them to throw in one extra dial?
5 YEN?
02-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I'm referring to the hoodman loupe which can be attached to the display screen. it works just like an EVF except better since you'll be looking on a magnified larger screen. so there is no issue what lenses you use. a 50mm would still look 50mm on your display.
So they got rid of a mirror, so you could then attached a loupe viewfinder the the display screen? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

One dial? So you have to hold another button down with the dial to change aperture/shutter speed? Not sure why then brought the ISO button down. I use a D7000 at work and hate the ISO button placement, this isn't quite as bad as you can still use your shooting hand, but the K5 has it and the exposure compensation in the perfect spot.

Even if they do make an EVF or OVF for the hotshoe, will it be obstructed if you pop the flash up or useless if you want to use an external flash?

I have not held one obviously, but I can't image using anything bigger than a limited lens with the absence of a grip of any sort. With heavier lenses I always carry the system by the grip on the K5. I could see people that use both the K5 and K-01 forgetting there is a non-existent grip and having the camera slip right out of their hands.

I am trying to be optimistic but it seems like they stripped down a K5 of useful features and excellent layout, gave it to a designer to have his way with it, and market it to everyone at once without taking into consideration what people that already use Pentax are looking for.
02-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #44
Forum Member

at the first when i saw the yellow coloured k-01's pic in first page of this topic I was like wtf? and thought was this another pentax q? but when i read the specs I found it very interesting espcially 81 point af, full hd video at multi frame rates, aps-c sensor. Things i didnt find interesting lack of a viewfinder, body almost the same size as a dslr.
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I saw this and I swear I heard a sad trombone somewhere (waaaah--whaah). I need a viewfinder, either optical or EVF. Just give me a viewfinder.
To give you low resolution, cheap EVF - you will whine - "It's bad, hard to see anything"
To give you high resolution, expensive EVF - you will whine - "it costs more than a half of camera, but no as good as OVF"