Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
A street photog's cam... makes me wonder what the K-r and K-5 replacements will be.

they better be miles ahead in features and performance than the K-01! (since the K-01 was intended to be in a slot below the DSLR line, right?)
Maybe not the k-r, but the k-5 should definitely be a big step above this camera..

Gimme a 10fps, 24mp, awesome sensor, WR, faster AF, high ISO k-5 and we'll call it even

02-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

kr k5 replacements

A street photog's cam... makes me wonder what the K-r and K-5 replacements will be.

they better be miles ahead in features and performance than the K-01! (since the K-01 was intended to be in a slot below the DSLR line, right?)
Most likely 20+ mp sensors, better video (some music videos now being shot with DSLR's). See this example shot with Canon 5D mkii & zoom lenses:
02-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
Forum Member

in my opinion the features are absolutely amazing for 700 bucks, i have no idea why anyone would complain that it's not *better* than a k5 in every way.
i would prefer it to be a bit less rounded at the angled intersections, but it looks a million times better than the usual dslr design out there.
i wouldn't feel like a total nerd trying to be candid at a party or something like i do with my k5, and am seriously considering selling and getting this.
02-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Okay, I finally found a photo of the white model on Imaging Resource. It's kind of hidden behind the yellow model, but from what I can see I think this will be the best looking of the bunch.

02-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Shame there's no "all black" one.... well well... one cant have everything
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
in my opinion the features are absolutely amazing for 700 bucks, i have no idea why anyone would complain that it's not *better* than a k5 in every way.
i would prefer it to be a bit less rounded at the angled intersections, but it looks a million times better than the usual dslr design out there.
i wouldn't feel like a total nerd trying to be candid at a party or something like i do with my k5, and am seriously considering selling and getting this.
it's a budget version of the K-5. a bit crippled due to no EVF which can be a dealbreaker for some. but it gains grounds in terms of being mirrorless (no mirrorslap and possibly faster and more accurate focusing). if the IQ is better than the K-5 (sharper and cleaner), then it is a better deal.
02-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I think you can expect the Kr replacement (K30?) to pretty much be this camera with the addition of PDAF and 100% OVF for maybe $100 more - or the same price with this dropping $100 as it will be a few months between them arriving
The K5 replacement I would think will see the 24mp sensor everything here and all the stuff that made the k5 a great camera as well. but at $1500 again
maybe there will be a WR variant of the KR in between (K300?) the Kr and K5

what ever comes this indicates it will be an interesting product
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Forum Member

yeah.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's a budget version of the K-5. a bit crippled due to no EVF which can be a dealbreaker for some. but it gains grounds in terms of being mirrorless (no mirrorslap and possibly faster and more accurate focusing). if the IQ is better than the K-5 (sharper and cleaner), then it is a better deal.
i meant i find it nonsensical to complain that a 700 camera isn't as full-featured as a 1200 dollar camera.
but on your other point, personally i have always used the optical viewfinder, and, like you probably, i prefer it. i am always disspointed to use the LCD for video, but if i had started on lcd live view (if it was available back in the day) i probably wouldn't care and would find the optical weird and antiquated. i mean, i review every photograph on the lcd after i take it and at 8x zoom to check focus etc anyways ya know? so it's not a huge deal to me personally, i'd rather change my own habits and not be complacent.

02-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Okay, I finally found a photo of the white model on Imaging Resource. It's kind of hidden behind the yellow model, but from what I can see I think this will be the best looking of the bunch.
http://1.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/4846894009/K-01_White.jpg?v=1322
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dominikkolendo Quote
i meant i find it nonsensical to complain that a 700 camera isn't as full-featured as a 1200 dollar camera.
but on your other point, personally i have always used the optical viewfinder, and, like you probably, i prefer it. i am always disspointed to use the LCD for video, but if i had started on lcd live view (if it was available back in the day) i probably wouldn't care and would find the optical weird and antiquated. i mean, i review every photograph on the lcd after i take it and at 8x zoom to check focus etc anyways ya know? so it's not a huge deal to me personally, i'd rather change my own habits and not be complacent.
true. it's all about getting used to. besides, OVF on APS-C is a pain. I had to put some split-screen/microprism focusing screen and an eye magnifier combo to make the best out of viewing and focusing. it still feels a bit weird to shoot or focus on LV. I think the screen display viewfinder accessory is a great innovation to those who want to stick their eye focusing on the image display. it's an alternative and could work better.
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Thanks for pointing me to that photo! I was rather turned off by the styling of the K-01, but I think the white version is actually kind of cool looking. I think that having the "stove pipe" white, while the grip is black, kind of helps that strange feature blend into the body.

Assuming the AF is fast and accurate, I may have found the replacement for my white K-x. I'll still wait and see what Pentax is bringing out in DSLR, but I'm definitely interested.

Here's a smaller version of the pic:

02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #42

Aesthetic

The appearance is growing on me. It must feel right as well to compete with (for me) the new Olympus and the Canon G1X. They are different cameras, but each has something for me and I will have to make up my mind.
02-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one I had not seen before that includes a shot of the bottom of the camera. No grip possible from what I see.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:11 PM.
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
Site Supporter

You know how everyone looked at the white K-x and thought of Storm Troopers from Star Wars? Am I the only one that looks at the yellow K-01 with the pancake lens and thinks of those giant dump trucks with the huge grilles?

As for the camera itself, I think it's exactly the camera my next door neighbor would have purchased if it had existed. He wound up with a K-r like mine but since he's a live view shooter that needed great low light performance for his daughters' gymnastics and dance stuff at a decent price... the K-01 would have fit the bill perfectly! If it performs reliably to the standard that the specs would seem to suggest it should, the K-01 will definitely be a mass market game changer for Pentax.
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
A 'pro' model could probably have a interchangeable module where the flash is currently housed. This could be used for EVF and OVF modules.
That would make this camera great! Who needs these pop-up flashes anyway?
The design truly surprises me. Initial leaking made me fear the worst, but close-ups have convinced me that it is beautiful. And new, well done Pentax. The price is attractive too. But if an EVF cannot be mounted somehow on this model, please introduce a variant version where one can! And make a EWLF, electronic waist level finder....

One of the reasons I never invested in the K5 and the like is that the APS-C viewfinder is so tiny (we have a K-x). Especially once you get used to the Pentax 645N. This model might offer an opportunity to improve on that situation.

I'm not in the market now, but will surely keep an eye on this.