Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting... The pancake lens makes it look strange, but It looks less odd with a normal lens on it. The absence of a viewfinder is a dealbreaker for me. I would imagine using the screen to compose & focus with a long lens to be a chore because of how you'd have to hold it.

Cosmetically, I'm not a big fan of the "brick with a lens on it" look, or the color scheme. It looks like it might be odd to hold, but you can't tell from a photo. I do like the price, and the video capability with mic jack.

I appreciate that Ricoh is trying to do something different, but different isn't always good. Personally, I much prefer the Hoya-era designs.

I hope the next Pentax is a more conventional SLR. If they keep cranking out designs like these, they could be in trouble.

02-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Personally, I much prefer the Hoya-era designs.

I hope the next Pentax is a more conventional SLR. If they keep cranking out designs like these, they could be in trouble.
You do realise of course this is a Hoya era design. not a chance they developed the design ground up to market in 3 months. this is the rumoured apsc mirrorless from last spring. Hoya likely put it on hold rather than spend the cost to market it without the back end coming to them. then the sensorplant issues probably killed the fall release (remember there was a cancelled Parisian press conference in the fall). Ricoh's biggest input may have been implementing their focus peaking system in it.

I'm pretty certain we'll see a few new DSLR this year. but think christmas present not easter present
02-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the looks could grow on me (but the yellow/black is hideous).
I don't get where you see what shutter speed/aperture you are on. There is no top LCD, no viewfinder, and the live view screen doesn't show it (in the images above, at least).
02-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As I white K-x owner, I wish there was a picture of the white model.

02-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
As I white K-x owner, I wish there was a picture of the white model.
Me too! They will probably release the other colors later, as they did with the K-x.
02-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not be surprised if a hot show mounted electronic viewfinder doesn't become an option, perhaps on a swift 'mk 11' version or in a "pro" version.

I think the biggest impact will be to see this 'in the flesh' and hold it in the hand.

This could be a very important Pentax indeed.
02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Well, the K-01 looks nice, but as said kadajawi in the first page of this thread "this is more of a fashion statement that takes great photos than a proper photographers tool".
I hope it can firmly compete against the other mirrorless cameras in the market. Hope that Pentax-Ricoh make an extensive marketing with this camera, and that it brings the company great returns, so that they can continue investing in new bodies for us to play/work/enjoy with... I don't say I want Pentax to become as big as Canon or Nikon, just want the company to stand still for decades.

02-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
You do realise of course this is a Hoya era design. not a chance they developed the design ground up to market in 3 months.
Judging from it's looks I kinda figured it was a Ricoh design they just slapped the Pentax name on, especially since it resembles a Ricoh GXR. Regardless of whatever design issues I may think it has, I applaud Ricoh for keeping the K-mount & hope they continue to do so.
02-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I keep thinking that this is a camera that was designed to be used with wide angle lenses or on a tripod. So, while it may not be right for sports...it might be really good for street photography, especially if it's as quiet as advertised and it has the K5's low light ability. It might also be really good for video. I could see this camera working well when mounted to a fluid head on a tripod. Overall, I like it.
02-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

the body doesn't look that great compared to the K-5. but if they priced it right let's say $800, I could live without the EVF. but the AF should be significantly fast and accurate. shutter should be dead silent. and IQ significantly improved over the K-5.
02-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

battery adapter

Wonder if it will take the K-5 "AA" battery adapter?
02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thought this was in the works during end of Hoya ownership. The designer video on youtube says nothing about Ricoh inspiration, his designs of other products look similar to this.
02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the body doesn't look that great compared to the K-5. but if they priced it right let's say $800, I could live without the EVF. but the AF should be significantly fast and accurate. shutter should be dead silent. and IQ significantly improved over the K-5.
Shutter is supposedly more silent than the k-5. It's the same sensor as the k-5. And priced at $760.
02-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

A street photog's cam... makes me wonder what the K-r and K-5 replacements will be.

they better be miles ahead in features and performance than the K-01! (since the K-01 was intended to be in a slot below the DSLR line, right?)
02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This is a great looking camera. I don't think its really targeted at the bulk of people in this forum, its a gateway camera for P&S'ers: its setup to be used like a P&S but looks like a serious camera (I think that's more important to people than is given credit for in the forum) while not being as intimidating as a DSLR.

The first time the soccer mom or travelling twenty something opens up those pictures on the computer...BAM! The picture quality - even if its just one or two that they don't quite understand why it looks so good but it does - sets the hook and hello LBA.

I'm not saying it'll happen to everybody, but enough to keep feeding the DSLR and lens market. And, if you are going to move from a mirrorless to a DSLR, might as well do it with a camera that will use your existing lenses. I think the XS series lenses are aimed at the likes of us, while most of the "gateway" purchases will be the 18-55.

The other thing this means is the K-5 replacement is going to have something better than the 16MP sensor and the K-r replacement will have at least the 16MP sensor. Finally, it demonstrates a real commitment by Pentax to the K-mount. These are all good things.

If they maintain IQ and improve QC, I think this will be a well recieved camera. Its not going to replace my K-x, but it's well concieved, demonstrates a committment to picture quality and sends the right message to the enthusiast Pentax Community. Those that decry it because they can't use it are missing the larger picture of where this camera demonstrates Pentax is going.