Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I LOVVVVVVVVEEEEE The look of that camera!

02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #47
Banned

02-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lvdvf???

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I use the LVDVF for my K-5, and it's very good. I'm sure this will work for the K-01 a swell. No problem at all really.
What's that?!
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #49
Veteran Member

With these better quality photo's I'm now convinced it's an excellent design aesthetically and functionally. If anything, the controls on the rear of the camera could have been up-sized and made more funky like the rest of the camera. Depending on the experience of no VF I wouldn't mind one for standard to wide angle lenses.

02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #50
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
What's that?!
I have the LCDVF clone that I will use on my pre-ordered K-01 .
Evil Little LCDVF Twin vs LCDVF

02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I actually predicted a variable aspect ratio choice for the sensor output. That made my day to see it in the spec sheet on DPReview.
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool, distinctive design. If the AF works well with existing lenses, and perhaps they release a shoe-mounted EVF, I could see myself behind the wheel of one of these...

02-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I actually predicted a variable aspect ratio choice for the sensor output. That made my day to see it in the spec sheet on DPReview.
It's got a 2:3 sensor, right? If that's the case, then won't selecting any other ratio just amount to the camera cropping out part of the captured image? Why would that be something to get excited about? I prefer to crop my images myself in Photoshop.

On a related topic, I haven't understood why DSLR makers stick with the APS-C sensor, instead of switching to something more square, so they're not leaving so much of the lens glass surface area on the table. In other words, keep the sensor the same width as APS-C, but make it a bit taller. That's one thing I like about the 4/3 systems.
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #54
Site Supporter

reasons:

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It's got a 2:3 sensor, right? If that's the case, then won't selecting any other ratio just amount to the camera cropping out part of the captured image? Why would that be something to get excited about? I prefer to crop my images myself in Photoshop.

On a related topic, I haven't understood why DSLR makers stick with the APS-C sensor, instead of switching to something more square, so they're not leaving so much of the lens glass surface area on the table. In other words, keep the sensor the same width as APS-C, but make it a bit taller. That's one thing I like about the 4/3 systems.
i have to say, i use my camera primarily for stop-motion animation, and having native 16:9 makes a WORLD of difference to me... its one of the reasons i want to trade my k5 for this (or wait to see if the k3 features this option) cropping thousands of photos in post is too cumbersome, and batch editing you never really know EXACTLY where the cuttoff is from the originals. also, there are other reasons... a good percentage of displays now are 16:9 for example hdtv, computer monitors, cell phones, etc

you do make an interestign point about the square sensor, but i think its jsut extra money thats hard to jsutify on the companies end... i dont see it being used much if it existed, but i wouldnt complain if i was given the option to use it!
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote

As a long time painter who uses photography to develop ideas I find that in 'Landscape' orientation the K-5 sensor is great but when in 'portrait' orientation it's just too long. I'd love to be able to set the frame proportions prior to shooting. I also would have wanted a square sensor in this situation but that obviously didn't happen.
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Ha, I agree as well, a less long ratio would be better for me. The new Canon GX in fact has a ratio of 4:3 (like Pentax 645 and the 4/3s), which is very nice indeed, but at a larger sensor size it would be better.
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #57
Forum Member

Everyone keeps saying it will be no good in the sun as it has no viewfinder, well its going to be no good on an overcast day when it starts to rain because its not weather sealed. Its a real let down for Pentax fans. I love that I can keep taking photos once it starts to rain with my k5.
02-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northislander Quote
Everyone keeps saying it will be no good in the sun as it has no viewfinder, well its going to be no good on an overcast day when it starts to rain because its not weather sealed. Its a real let down for Pentax fans. I love that I can keep taking photos once it starts to rain with my k5.
...my k-x isn't that much use in the rain either...

It'd have been great to have WR on this. But I guess it's a bit much of an expectation - let the WR come with the k-5 replacement.
02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

What...no shutter cable port?

K01 has a Bulb mode but no shutter cable port, as far as i can see from the photos? Anyone know any different?

I was thinking this might be a good camera on a tripod for landscape use. Guess one would have to use a IR device like the Kx, was it?

No bracketing, no cable port, no EVF, makes me wonder what else they left out . I've been able to use the shutter cable i used on my K20 on my K5, was getting kind of used to it.

Everytime camera mfr limit the flexibility on a camera, a certain percentage of possible customers look elsewhere.
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
K01 has a Bulb mode but no shutter cable port, as far as i can see from the photos? Anyone know any different?

I was thinking this might be a good camera on a tripod for landscape use. Guess one would have to use a IR device like the Kx, was it?

No bracketing, no cable port, no EVF, makes me wonder what else they left out . I've been able to use the shutter cable i used on my K20 on my K5, was getting kind of used to it.

Everytime camera mfr limit the flexibility on a camera, a certain percentage of possible customers look elsewhere.
Some Olympus use usb for their remote release. Can fire Pentax K7 with usb using PK Tether. So Pentax could go this route or use wireless remote.
thanks
barondla