Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
tw., seen the pics of the new Olympus OM-D? OM-G. Another retro styled EVIL camera. Why can't they do that to a DSLR? Why Pentax?
Because, I think, that if they followed Fuji the Pentax design wouldn't be any "different" and that wouldn't be so Pentax...

02-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #197
Veteran Member

You know what? This ain't so bad. It's kind of retro-1988, rather than retro-1978 (as seems to be the popular thing right now) but it looks really solid and well-built – I think the low-resolution picture makes it look more plasticky than it probably is in real life – and DIN is a beautiful typeface for these kinds of things. I'm puzzled as to why they would use the old Pentax logo though, and the neck strap is terribly ugly.

I reckon this is going to work out great. It's just the first camera in a hopefully long-lived system anyway, they have plenty of chances to make cameras with different features and design styles. The Panasonic GH1 looked like an awful, awful hunk of plastic, but m4/3 seems to be doing okay anyway.

And look at how thin that freaking lens is! I thought my DA40 was pretty svelte, but...
02-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh come on guys, stop b**ching. I think it's a very good sign that Pentax brought a new low-end consumor model. And the rumors that there's much more to come are even better. The design of the K-01 is good, looks very sturdy, just like the historical Pentax bodies.

The disadvantage of introducting 'design' in tools is that it can never be to everybodies liking. Tastes differ, and that's a good thing. That's why I was so sceptical when I heard they were introducing design... by a designer.

Of course, I hope the new high-end DSLRs that come out in future don't have any design at all. Just 100% utilitary, as it should be. So everybody can like the machines because of the high specs.
02-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Now that I think about it I can see that it's a good thing Pentax didn't follow the Fuji approach to vintage, otherwise like I stated above it's like riding on the coattails of the "Fuji X retro" design.

02-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The mode dial shows that this is an entry-level camera indeed:

02-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #201
Pentaxian

I own an *istDS and K-7 both attractive bodies imho, but on design/aesthetics alone it looks like I'll never buy another PENTAX. Good design has just gone down the gurgler since the K-7/K-5. Simply ugly, awkward and un-ergonomic designs since.
02-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #202
Veteran Member

I wanna see how it looks like with the Q white on ivory colour scheme (i think they nailed that one). Hopefully they will offer in that combo too.
02-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #203
Veteran Member

KEY FEATURES:
Contemporary styling by world renowned designer Marc Newson
Durable aluminum frame with stylish exterior in a selection of colors
Mirorrless body design is compatible with PENTAX K-mount lenses.
Exceptional 16 Megapixel APS-C sized CMOS image sensor with low noise image capture and multiple aspect ratios.
Bright high resolution 3 inch LCD with 920,000 dots
Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features outstanding video capture flexibility.
Sensor-shift PENTAX Shake and Dust Reduction system is compatible with every mounted PENTAX lens.
Fast 6 FPS burst mode is ideal for fast-action photography.
Shutter speeds from 1/4000 to 30 seconds and bulb with a silent shutter action.
Flexible ISO range of 100-25,600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting environment.
Shooting modes include P, Av,Tv, and M, as well as powerful automatic modes, creative filters and finishing options.
Focus peaking mode provides fast and accurate manual focusing for critical focus applications.
In-Camera HDR mode combines bracketed user-specified exposures into a single, perfectly blended still image.
Built-in popup flash and external hotshoe compatible with modern PENTAX digital flash units.
Captures JPG still images as well as open standard DNG RAW.

PENTAX Announces the K-01?a More Powerful Mirrorless Camera

Looking good!... also silent shutter action! I guess without the mirror thud its going to be silent.

also details on the new lens from BHP
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842479-REG/Pentax_DA_40mm_f_2_8_XS.html

02-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
[...] un-ergonomic designs since.
I assume you've held a K-01 in your hands then?

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Flexible ISO range of 100-25,600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting environment.
Did they remove the expansion down to 80 and up to 51,200 from the K-5 then? 51,200 was mostly an unusable gimmick, I guess, but ISO 80 is cool to have.
02-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Captures JPG still images
does this really have to be included in the spec sheet? XD
02-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
does this really have to be included in the spec sheet? XD
KEY FEATURES:
* Takes pictures

(If that's not a "key feature" of a camera I don't know what is.)
02-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I assume you've held a K-01 in your hands then?

Did they remove the expansion down to 80 and up to 51,200 from the K-5 then? 51,200 was mostly an unusable gimmick, I guess, but ISO 80 is cool to have.
Maybe they are just not quoting extended iso range, or perhaps pentax removed that option since its entry level. I'm not a fan of extended iso, they usually hide those for a reason.
02-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #208
Marketplace Reseller

In all fairness, what have they come out with since then besides Optios, the tiny Q, and now the K-01? Not one high-level DSLR, where ergonomics are really key. Th ergonomics of most manufacturers' mirrorless cameras are a trainwreck. Ever actually shot with a sony NEX? The only real exception I can think of off the top of my head are the Panasonic GH cameras, which are almost as large as DSLRs anyway. And while the Fuji and Olympus retro designs definitely look pretty, copying design decisions from the 60's and 70's isn't exactly going to leave you with a camera that is comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

Honestly, what surprises me about this camera is not that I find it particularly ugly (ok, maybe I do the yellow one), but rather that I find it so nondescript, especially after they hired a high-profile designer to work on it. As far as ergonomics go, I will reserve judgment until I have held one in my own hands and have had a chance to evaluate button/dial placement etc., but at least there does seem to be some contouring, etc. to make it a bit easier to handle.

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
I own an *istDS and K-7 both attractive bodies imho, but on design/aesthetics alone it looks like I'll never buy another PENTAX. Good design has just gone down the gurgler since the K-7/K-5. Simply ugly, awkward and un-ergonomic designs since.
02-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've been eyeing the Panasonic GX1 as the next piece of my M43 kit. But I'm seriously considering the K-01 instead. It's going to be a tough choice...

- GX1 with 14/2.5, 20/1.7, and 45/1.8
- K-01 with 21/3.2, 35/2.8 Macro (or 40/2.8) and 70/2.4

The fact is, I don't need either camera, but they are appealing!
I can't see how the Panny can compete against the K-01 sensor... It's like comparing an inline 4 against a V8!

On that analogy, FF is a V12 and the 645D is a W16!
02-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #210
Pentaxian

http://www.pentax.ru/press/pool/mirrorless/K-01/

Pentax-Russia's got the photos out