Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #211

Those hi-res images from the Russian site are very helpful. The design is growing on me, especially the lighter body coloured model. The button design and layout of pleasingly clean, I do like an uncluttered layout, especially in what I'd call a "holiday camera" or second body. It'd be nice to see it side by side with a K-5, I can't imagine it's all that much smaller and the Samsung-esque choice of not even allowing an external viewfinder (as far as I can tell) is going to be a deal breaker for some.

I can see me picking one these up in the future almost purely for using legacy glass with focus peaking, if it allows decent AF speed with my existing primes then all the better.

Will it bring new users to the system? Maybe not, but it looks a really nice entry level option, and very solid looking build quality. I do like the Pentax have tried something a little different to the cometition, and although public reaction so far has been typically bombastic and well "internetty" it's certainly not receiving all the WTF's the Q system did.

02-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Great link for the high res images! Many thanks.

Well... much of my job involves designing products, and this design is very mediocre. What a wasted opportunity for the studio.

Note to Ricoh: Hire the designer of the Hublot Big Bang for your next camera. Proper watch designers know how to do details.

P.S. Is it just me, or does the mount surround look like a neck tumor?

Last edited by Unsinkable II; 02-02-2012 at 04:19 AM.
02-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Great link for the high res images! Many thanks.

Well... much of my job involves designing products, and this design is very mediocre. What a wasted opportunity for the studio.

Note to Ricoh: Hire the designer of the Hublot Big Bang for your next camera. Proper watch designers know how to do details.
Again, design is taste-dependant. In my eyes, the Hublot Big Bang is fugly beyond imagination. An in my eyes the K-01 is very nice camera. Bringing in 'design' is always a risk for that reason. That's why it's better to stick with ergonomics and features on priority 1, 2 and 3.

A camera is a tool... At least, it's supposed to be. They now brought the Q and the K-01 for the my-camera-is-part-of-my-jewelry-crowd. Now I impatiently await their 100% utilitary higher end model(s).
02-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why all the focus on the design/perceived lack of beauty? It still looks like a camera to me. The big two questions are what kind of performance will it have and what will its ergonomics be like? I don't think either is truly answerable yet, although the specs look pretty promising for people moving up from the kr.

My only disappointment is the lack of some type of EVF. I hate composing using an LCD screen and that certainly could be a deal killer for a lot of users. Still there are an awful lot of people who don't mind holding their camera at arms length -- there have been an awful lot of NEX 5s sold -- and if this is going to be a kr replacement, I think price-wise there was no way to get an EVF in there for the 600 dollars they'll make on the body.

02-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #215
Veteran Member

I find the hublot ugly too, I like the jaeger lecoultre (amvox1) design to be better. Im starting to like the k-01 though I could think of some things to make it better. Though I could think of a few more finishing detail that can make the k-01 better, like the mount release button could use some more tightness (edgier corners maybe), it looks a bit loose to me.
02-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why all the focus on the design/perceived lack of beauty? It still looks like a camera to me. The big two questions are what kind of performance will it have and what will its ergonomics be like? I don't think either is truly answerable yet, although the specs look pretty promising for people moving up from the kr.

My only disappointment is the lack of some type of EVF. I hate composing using an LCD screen and that certainly could be a deal killer for a lot of users. Still there are an awful lot of people who don't mind holding their camera at arms length -- there have been an awful lot of NEX 5s sold -- and if this is going to be a kr replacement, I think price-wise there was no way to get an EVF in there for the 600 dollars they'll make on the body.
The NEX-5N body is already under $550 here in HK. For an extra $200 for a camera with the same sensor, I'd expect more than SR, a focus motor and a flash. They could easily have added an EVF...

And to not even design the camera to take an external EVF as an option??? What were they thinking?? Every other mirrorless maker offers them for a reason: people want them and they are profitable! I'd have liked to be a fly on the wall in that meeting... "Should we offer an EVF accessory?" "No, we might make more profit"

Anyway, it's just a camera. I was just wanting an excuse to give Pentax some money for a new worthwhile toy. Unfortunately for me it's not a toy I like ergonomically or aesthetically. It will be for others.
02-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #217
Veteran Member

It is not like Ricoh doesn't have an EVF. Just put the GXR EVF plug below the hotshoe. Then sell the EVF add-on. The Olympus EVF lives on my wife's E-pL-2.

02-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think either is truly answerable yet, although the specs look pretty promising for people moving up from the kr.
Not to me. It has a slower shutter than my K-r, and the same burst speed (and both are slower than the K-5). Supposedly one reason for mirrorless is to escape the limitations of having the mirror flopping around, for faster shutter and burst speeds. Evidently they couldn't do that.

Add to that the lack of a viewfinder (WTH? it's a glorified point and shoot - and useless in sunlight), no mention of battery life (if it were good, they'd be promising that - especially since MILCs are plagued by ridiculous battery drain), and the fact that it's not WR (so no upgrade from the K-r on that front) and I see a half baked offering that they rushed out the door under the guise of being "designer."

If anything is going to kill the brand, it will be poorly thought out products like this, that seem destined to cause them losses.
02-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The NEX-5N body is already under $550 here in HK. For an extra $200 for a camera with the same sensor, I'd expect more than SR, a focus motor and a flash. They could easily have added an EVF...
I (personally) would gladly pay $200 for SR and a focus motor (to use my existing glass) if there was an EVF option. I don't agree that they could have "easily" added an EVF (or I believe they would have), but I do agree that it should be an option.
02-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I (personally) would gladly pay $200 for SR and a focus motor (to use my existing glass) if there was an EVF option. I don't agree that they could have "easily" added an EVF (or I believe they would have), but I do agree that it should be an option.
Except I manufacture and design electronics in Asia and you don't. So I'll just go along with what I know, if it's OK by you.
02-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #221
Veteran Member

There's another "official" Pix thread where I said the following:
Every shot I've seen with the lens OFF the camera body shows the sensor. Even the video I just watched shows the sensor and no shutter. Is it some kind of electronic shutter like a LCD blind over the AA filter or something? I can imagine that the 'shutter' is just a gate to the memory buffer though so that no physical shutter is necessary. I guess all will be revealed soon enough.

I'm wondering what kind of shutter it is.. there's no spec's on it as far as I can see apart from the speed.
02-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
There's another "official" Pix thread where I said the following:
Every shot I've seen with the lens OFF the camera body shows the sensor. Even the video I just watched shows the sensor and no shutter. Is it some kind of electronic shutter like a LCD blind over the AA filter or something? I can imagine that the 'shutter' is just a gate to the memory buffer though so that no physical shutter is necessary. I guess all will be revealed soon enough.

I'm wondering what kind of shutter it is.. there's no spec's on it as far as I can see apart from the speed.
I've speculated about the shutter in the "K-01 Problems" thread as well. One response was, that the video did show a shutter. Personally I could see something
move across the plane, but then the sensor was visible again. It always seemed to be visible when the guy took the lens off (quite obvious at the 1:27 minute mark).
It is a pre-production model, so who knows, but now I am wondering how long the sensor will stay clean if it gets exposed that much during lens changes.

Ok, that makes one appreciate the GXR from Ricoh, since each lens module has its own sensor. But still no VF.

Last edited by Catalana; 02-02-2012 at 07:05 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #223
Veteran Member

And not only during lens changes. Many zooms suck air in and out while zooming. And not only zooms. When I focus my Vivitar 800mm mirrorlens, I can actually hear the air gushing in/out, like out of a punctured tire.

Oh my, after a week of use that sensor is going to look like a parrot's mirror.

I like having my sensor protected by a mechanical shutter and overhanging mirror. It's a advantage of the DSLR that I hadn't realised yet.
02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And not only during lens changes. Many zooms suck air in and out while zooming. And not only zooms. When I focus my Vivitar 800mm mirrorlens, I can actually hear the air gushing in/out, like out of a punctured tire.

Oh my, after a week of use that sensor is going to look like a parrot's mirror.

I like having my sensor protected by a mechanical shutter and overhanging mirror. It's a advantage of the DSLR that I hadn't realised yet.
Yes, that is what I have been thinking as well. Living on this side of the world is not a pleasant place for camera sensor at all. It is very dusty over here and there are many times I believe the mirror actually prevented dust from getting into sensor by trapping it on the mirror instead.

Also, I think this camera really needs an EVF, or might as well bundle it with the camera and sell as a kit. Holding a camera with 50-135 with my arms stretched out in not a kind of work out I am looking forward to.
02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #225

I had a bit of a run on buying and subsequently selling a whole load of mirrorless cameras, three Panasonics an Olympus and most oddly of all a Samsung NX100. If nothing else I have a healthy ebay rating... All of them had their charms, all of them I found unsuitable for the kind of work I like to do most.

Anyway, they all had exposed sensors and all had a distinct and quite often surprisingly loud shutter sound. The Panasonics in particular were probably louder than my K-5 is. I never had a dust problem with any of them and my GF1 I used quite extensively... I never shot by the sea much or in a dust storm, but all the same I never found dust to be an issue at all. Must have excellent self cleaning abilities.