Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #226
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 110
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And not only during lens changes. Many zooms suck air in and out while zooming. And not only zooms. When I focus my Vivitar 800mm mirrorlens, I can actually hear the air gushing in/out, like out of a punctured tire.

Oh my, after a week of use that sensor is going to look like a parrot's mirror.

I like having my sensor protected by a mechanical shutter and overhanging mirror. It's a advantage of the DSLR that I hadn't realised yet.
Yes, that is what I have been thinking as well. Living on this side of the world is not a pleasant place for camera sensor at all. It is very dusty over here and there are many times I believe the mirror actually prevented dust from getting into sensor by trapping it on the mirror instead.

Also, I think this camera really needs an EVF, or might as well bundle it with the camera and sell as a kit. Holding a camera with 50-135 with my arms stretched out in not a kind of work out I am looking forward to.

02-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #227
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 6
I had a bit of a run on buying and subsequently selling a whole load of mirrorless cameras, three Panasonics an Olympus and most oddly of all a Samsung NX100. If nothing else I have a healthy ebay rating... All of them had their charms, all of them I found unsuitable for the kind of work I like to do most.

Anyway, they all had exposed sensors and all had a distinct and quite often surprisingly loud shutter sound. The Panasonics in particular were probably louder than my K-5 is. I never had a dust problem with any of them and my GF1 I used quite extensively... I never shot by the sea much or in a dust storm, but all the same I never found dust to be an issue at all. Must have excellent self cleaning abilities.
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #228
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 2
I like K-01,
But i wanna autofocus in K-5 video mode !!! Anyone else ? Make noise and get it !
Have a good day Pentaxian's
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #229
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 190
@crabclawhands
I am only speculating about the exposed sensor and personally don't have any experience, so it is good to have your side
of the story. Did you change lenses often?

02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #230
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Is it some kind of electronic shutter like a LCD blind over the AA filter or something?
Easy.

The K-01 has a new 1/4000s shutter which the PR says is quieter. Moreover, it is open by default (like on a NEX) so activating LV doesn't have to activate the shutter every time you want to compose an image (w/o taking one). This would tear down the shutter quickly. So, shutter open by default, which is good for the shutter and the shooter, but bad for dirt during a lens change.

The time you push the trigger, the first curtain closes, the exposure begins, the first curtain opens, the second curtain closes, exposure stops, and second curtain rewinds to the default open position. In a normal shutter, both curtains would have to rewind after an exposure taken.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #231
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,217
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And not only during lens changes. Many zooms suck air in and out while zooming. And not only zooms. When I focus my Vivitar 800mm mirrorlens, I can actually hear the air gushing in/out, like out of a punctured tire.

Oh my, after a week of use that sensor is going to look like a parrot's mirror.

I like having my sensor protected by a mechanical shutter and overhanging mirror. It's a advantage of the DSLR that I hadn't realised yet.
I don't think that the lack of a mirror will make the K-01 more susceptible to dust than the K-5. I have not seen a spec of dust on my mirrorless Micro Four-Thirds bodies (GH1, GH2, GF2). And I usually shoot primes and change lenses very frequently, very often on the side of the road.
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #232
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 190
@ falk
Thanks for the explanation...
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #233
Veteran Member
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,546
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Easy.

The K-01 has a new 1/4000s shutter which the PR says is quieter. Moreover, it is open by default (like on a NEX) so activating LV doesn't have to activate the shutter every time you want to compose an image (w/o taking one). This would tear down the shutter quickly. So, shutter open by default, which is good for the shutter and the shooter, but bad for dirt during a lens change.

The time you push the trigger, the first curtain closes, the exposure begins, the first curtain opens, the second curtain closes, exposure stops, and second curtain rewinds to the default open position. In a normal shutter, both curtains would have to rewind after an exposure taken.
Thanks Falconeye. That answered my question nicely.

02-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,584
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I really find these types of posts very immature and counter-productive.

QuoteQuote:
Your'e basically saying that you think you are cleverer than those reading your post as your huge intelligence has discovered something better.

I'm glad you're happy, and good luck to you. But you aren't going to make many friends braying your genius here.


Don't let the door hit you on your way out... or are you going to continue illuminating us with your ponderings?
With the first part of my post I was attempting to point out some of the design features/failures in this product. The second part was a round-about way of saying that I feel that Pentax's future doesn't look good. I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. As far as making friends is concerned, I already have many friends on this forum, and I usually don't have too much trouble making new ones. Also, I'm not on my way out, at least not for my 35mm manual focus needs.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. Hopefully in the future I can use my "huge intelligence" to avoid such problems.
02-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #235
Veteran Member
Laurentiu Cristofor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,044
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't think that the lack of a mirror will make the K-01 more susceptible to dust than the K-5. I have not seen a spec of dust on my mirrorless Micro Four-Thirds bodies (GH1, GH2, GF2). And I usually shoot primes and change lenses very frequently, very often on the side of the road.
I've been surprised by this too. I'm not sure how they do it, but the experience is better than with my SLRs.
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #236
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I've been surprised by this too. I'm not sure how they do it, but the experience is better than with my SLRs.
That defies logic. But not only that: my own personal experience with my two mirrorless cameras was different. Maybe it's because I live in different climate? My NEX had smudges fermented stuck on the sensor within a month. Whilst both my DSLRs haven't even needed any cleaning in the 3 years that I own them.

Are you two 100% sure you're not biassed and not just justifying your choice? Don't interpret that the wrong way though. Everybody has their preferences, including me. It's just not logical that a sensor that's out in the open 10x as much remains cleaner then a sheltered one.

Again, I really wanted the mirrorless to work very very much. To be able to mount any kind of glass in front of those sensors made me and my LBA super enthusiastic. Especially the prospect of mounting my Rayxar 50mm f0,75 and finally have infinity focus.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-03-2012 at 02:27 AM.
02-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #237
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,935
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't think that the lack of a mirror will make the K-01 more susceptible to dust than the K-5. I have not seen a spec of dust on my mirrorless Micro Four-Thirds bodies (GH1, GH2, GF2). And I usually shoot primes and change lenses very frequently, very often on the side of the road.
+3 to this.
Another MILC user (GF1 and G3) who's never had an issue with dust on sensor.
02-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #238
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
Maybe it's because the mirror movement causes a lot of air displacement, so dust will constantly move around in the area of the mirror box, and ultimately stick to the sensor.
02-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #239
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,122
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe it's because the mirror movement causes a lot of air displacement, so dust will constantly move around in the area of the mirror box, and ultimately stick to the sensor.
If it moves around, it can't get stuck either.

Again, my findings with both my mirrorless cams were more aligned with what is to be expected: Dust, smudges and spots.

Needless to say, a dirty sensor degrades IQ more then mirroslap or shuttershock.
02-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #240
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 110
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
If it moves around, it can't get stuck either.

Again, my findings with both my mirrorless cams were more aligned with what is to be expected: Dust, smudges and spots.

Needless to say, a dirty sensor degrades IQ more then mirroslap or shuttershock.
I think it is no use to detract those who believe mirrorless to be "the future".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
discussions, k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, photos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D4 specs leaked eddie1960 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 20 12-15-2011 09:56 AM
Nikon D800 specs leaked... JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 23 11-02-2011 01:10 PM
Nex 7 Leaked eddie1960 Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 13 07-16-2011 09:24 PM
Battery acid leaked in KX Lupus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 09-27-2010 07:40 PM
K-5 Prices leaked - German emergo Pentax News and Rumors 63 09-16-2010 01:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top