Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, to my surprise the K-01 actually looks like a camera. The rumors were initially saying it would look more like the Optio series, but the photos are more in line with a normal SLR. Unless it is substantially less expensive than the K-5, I still don't see the point of it. Especially considering how bulky it still looks even with the new 40mm. Then if you throw in a zoom or one of those LCD shades, you're back at DSLR sizing or larger. On the other hand, I'm very impressed at how they were able to thin out the 40mm even more.

02-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #62
Veteran Member

I like the looks of it, don't think its that bad at all. It is different, but hey, different is good.

I wanna see, feel, touch it before I make a final decision on if it can be a companion for my K5 or not... that and price point.

The big thing i am disappointed with is the LCD screen. That resolution is near useless. Thats my #1 complaint about the K5, the resolution of the LCD is sub-par at best for such a wicked camera.

Secondly, I would miss the front dial. I shoot full manual, so I don't wanna hold this or press that to get my shutter speed. I've been spoiled by my front and rear dials.
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #63
Veteran Member

The K-R have no front dial and this is the replacement of it
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Exactly what I've been sitting here thinking. This is in no way a serious camera of any kind, with only a 640x480 screen to focus on. Anyone who has tried to use an LCD to focus in sunlight knows it's pointless, and if not impossible, at least much slower to use than any kind of viewfinder is.
What I don't get is that in order to make a model to sit below the K-5, they seem to have just taken out the wrong bits and then pay a designer to make it look a bit different. It's like they've taken a Golf, paid someone to make it look weird and ended up with the new Beetle. Only, to make it cheaper, they've left the wheels off.

02-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Weather resistant would be good. I would think it would be because that is kind of a key feature for Pentax. I think the HDR and red buttons are there in an effort to make this a super user friendly and portable option for not only taking photos but for video with killer lenses.

Battery door makes one think that it will not be weather-resistant.
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The camera looks really nice. I'm pleasantly surprised, because I was really sceptical.

But that DA40XS doesn't look like it cannot be mounted on DSLRs? (My LBA is already at full steam now...)
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #67
Pentaxian

If they would throw in a OVF for that 40mm pancake, I would be very temted to get one

02-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #68

This Marc Newson guy... Terrible.

Why didn't they just modernize a K1000.. I could have designed something better than that guy myself, that thing is quite hideous really :/ The new 40mm is amazing though ! Under 1CM!

Would be pretty funny if they sold this at near K-5 price range, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell over 5000..

A decent move would have been to make a smaller (Nice retro looking) camera without K mount and include a K mount adapter with the Camera..
02-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #69
Forum Member

I'm OK with it as long as the cell phone range is good. Does anyone know if it can do instant messaging or log into facebook?
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohanBene Quote
Doesn't it look kinda Ricoh-ish?

I think it is a Ricoh. They were developing it, and when the merger came through, they made a few adjustments, like make it K-mount. And ofcourse change the name to Pentax
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote

Actually the more I look at it the more I like it. It is definitely growing on me. Now I just hope that it is good. Or if it isn't good, that a better model will be coming out soon after.
02-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote

Why didn't they just modernize a K1000.. I could have designed something better than that guy myself, that thing is quite hideous really :/ The new 40mm is amazing though ! Under 1CM!

Would be pretty funny if they sold this at near K-5 price range, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sell over 5000..

A decent move would have been to make a smaller (Nice retro looking) camera without K mount and include a K mount adapter with the Camera..

since when did camera's become a fashion item?? (ok, except the leica's for the rich, that we already know)
Is this offficially the first moaning about how bad they did with designing this without evening knowing what it can do?
02-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #73
Veteran Member

The more and more I think about it, the more and more I agree. They missed the boat a bit here. It is not ugly, its just not as good looking as it should be.

I would love a film MX style body, color scheme, etc. and it wouldn't be hard to use the same style of button layout.

On that note, I don't know why anyone hasn't designed a button layout where the dial has shutter speed and iso speed on the same dial like the old cams of the 70's. Then have the dial on the back for aperture. Hell, now I'm designing my dream camera... :P
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So very Pentax.. It's retro and I like it..
Those who prefers shinning stuff, there's always NEX
02-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
since when did camera's become a fashion item?? (ok, except the leica's for the rich, that we already know)
Is this offficially the first moaning about how bad they did with designing this without evening knowing what it can do?
Well we know it has the K-5 sensor..

And for the average consumer looks really do matter.. I mean look at the Fuji, its Gorgeous! I don't think it would have sold as much if it looked like a brick.. Looks do play a part.. We know the K-01 will perform well but it doesn't even have a VF. Who are they targeting with this camera?