Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #226

I like K-01,
But i wanna autofocus in K-5 video mode !!! Anyone else ? Make noise and get it !
Have a good day Pentaxian's

02-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #227

@crabclawhands
I am only speculating about the exposed sensor and personally don't have any experience, so it is good to have your side
of the story. Did you change lenses often?
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Is it some kind of electronic shutter like a LCD blind over the AA filter or something?
Easy.

The K-01 has a new 1/4000s shutter which the PR says is quieter. Moreover, it is open by default (like on a NEX) so activating LV doesn't have to activate the shutter every time you want to compose an image (w/o taking one). This would tear down the shutter quickly. So, shutter open by default, which is good for the shutter and the shooter, but bad for dirt during a lens change.

The time you push the trigger, the first curtain closes, the exposure begins, the first curtain opens, the second curtain closes, exposure stops, and second curtain rewinds to the default open position. In a normal shutter, both curtains would have to rewind after an exposure taken.

Last edited by falconeye; 02-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
And not only during lens changes. Many zooms suck air in and out while zooming. And not only zooms. When I focus my Vivitar 800mm mirrorlens, I can actually hear the air gushing in/out, like out of a punctured tire.

Oh my, after a week of use that sensor is going to look like a parrot's mirror.

I like having my sensor protected by a mechanical shutter and overhanging mirror. It's a advantage of the DSLR that I hadn't realised yet.
I don't think that the lack of a mirror will make the K-01 more susceptible to dust than the K-5. I have not seen a spec of dust on my mirrorless Micro Four-Thirds bodies (GH1, GH2, GF2). And I usually shoot primes and change lenses very frequently, very often on the side of the road.

02-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #230

@ falk
Thanks for the explanation...
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Easy.

The K-01 has a new 1/4000s shutter which the PR says is quieter. Moreover, it is open by default (like on a NEX) so activating LV doesn't have to activate the shutter every time you want to compose an image (w/o taking one). This would tear down the shutter quickly. So, shutter open by default, which is good for the shutter and the shooter, but bad for dirt during a lens change.

The time you push the trigger, the first curtain closes, the exposure begins, the first curtain opens, the second curtain closes, exposure stops, and second curtain rewinds to the default open position. In a normal shutter, both curtains would have to rewind after an exposure taken.
Thanks Falconeye. That answered my question nicely.
02-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I really find these types of posts very immature and counter-productive.

QuoteQuote:
Your'e basically saying that you think you are cleverer than those reading your post as your huge intelligence has discovered something better.

I'm glad you're happy, and good luck to you. But you aren't going to make many friends braying your genius here.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out... or are you going to continue illuminating us with your ponderings?
With the first part of my post I was attempting to point out some of the design features/failures in this product. The second part was a round-about way of saying that I feel that Pentax's future doesn't look good. I'm sorry that you took it the wrong way. As far as making friends is concerned, I already have many friends on this forum, and I usually don't have too much trouble making new ones. Also, I'm not on my way out, at least not for my 35mm manual focus needs.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. Hopefully in the future I can use my "huge intelligence" to avoid such problems.

02-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #233
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I don't think that the lack of a mirror will make the K-01 more susceptible to dust than the K-5. I have not seen a spec of dust on my mirrorless Micro Four-Thirds bodies (GH1, GH2, GF2). And I usually shoot primes and change lenses very frequently, very often on the side of the road.
I've been surprised by this too. I'm not sure how they do it, but the experience is better than with my SLRs.
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I've been surprised by this too. I'm not sure how they do it, but the experience is better than with my SLRs.
That defies logic. But not only that: my own personal experience with my two mirrorless cameras was different. Maybe it's because I live in different climate? My NEX had smudges fermented stuck on the sensor within a month. Whilst both my DSLRs haven't even needed any cleaning in the 3 years that I own them.

Are you two 100% sure you're not biassed and not just justifying your choice? Don't interpret that the wrong way though. Everybody has their preferences, including me. It's just not logical that a sensor that's out in the open 10x as much remains cleaner then a sheltered one.

Again, I really wanted the mirrorless to work very very much. To be able to mount any kind of glass in front of those sensors made me and my LBA super enthusiastic. Especially the prospect of mounting my Rayxar 50mm f0,75 and finally have infinity focus.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-03-2012 at 02:27 AM.
02-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
+3 to this.
Another MILC user (GF1 and G3) who's never had an issue with dust on sensor.
02-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #236
Pentaxian

Maybe it's because the mirror movement causes a lot of air displacement, so dust will constantly move around in the area of the mirror box, and ultimately stick to the sensor.
02-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Maybe it's because the mirror movement causes a lot of air displacement, so dust will constantly move around in the area of the mirror box, and ultimately stick to the sensor.
If it moves around, it can't get stuck either.

Again, my findings with both my mirrorless cams were more aligned with what is to be expected: Dust, smudges and spots.

Needless to say, a dirty sensor degrades IQ more then mirroslap or shuttershock.
02-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #238

If it moves around, it can't get stuck either.

Again, my findings with both my mirrorless cams were more aligned with what is to be expected: Dust, smudges and spots.

Needless to say, a dirty sensor degrades IQ more then mirroslap or shuttershock.
I think it is no use to detract those who believe mirrorless to be "the future".
02-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
I think it is no use to detract those who believe mirrorless to be "the future".
Well, I'm not trying to detract anybody. I myself see the benefits of the shorter registry distance. But we have to be open and honest about everything, both the pro's and the cons of both mirrored and mirrorless systems.
02-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #240
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That defies logic. But not only that: my own personal experience with my two mirrorless cameras was different. Maybe it's because I live in different climate? My NEX had smudges fermented stuck on the sensor within a month. Whilst both my DSLRs haven't even needed any cleaning in the 3 years that I own them.

Are you two 100% sure you're not biassed and not just justifying your choice? Don't interpret that the wrong way though. Everybody has their preferences, including me. It's just not logical that a sensor that's out in the open 10x as much remains cleaner then a sheltered one.

Again, I really wanted the mirrorless to work very very much. To be able to mount any kind of glass in front of those sensors made me and my LBA super enthusiastic. Especially the prospect of mounting my Rayxar 50mm f0,75 and finally have infinity focus.
I'm just reporting my experience. I even bought a fancy cleaning thingy with the GH-2 and haven't had to use it. No bias here - my K-5 is my favorite, a hawk amongst pigeons, the one I use to hammer nails with!