Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
True, but an electronic first curtain shutter requires support from the sensor.

AFAIK, the K-5 sensor does not have it. However, the NEX-5N does have it, so it will be interesting to observe where the K-01 stands in this respect.
Yes the K-01 is reported to have a new sensor so... It might even be better then the K5 (doubt it though as the raw files are "only" 12 bit), which means that it probably is not as good as the K5 .

02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Yes the K-01 is reported to have a new sensor so... It might even be better then the K5 (doubt it though as the raw files are "only" 12 bit), which means that it probably is not as good as the K5 .
My understanding is that it is using the k-5 sensor. Perhaps with some little changes, and probably the new batch that doesn't suffer sensor stain issues, but... it should be the same sensor.
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #258
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Yes, and actually, I was commenting on a large number of threads and posts on this forum as of late that pit Mirrorless against SLRs.
It helps if you are more specific about what exactly you are talking about. And if you want to comment about a trend that you noticed, it makes more sense to open a separate thread, rather than to interject your comments in the middle of another one.
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #259
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
What I find humorous about the whole "mirrorless means the death of SLR" is that when the first SLRs came out, there were probably those who shouted (in smoky rooms with leather arm-chairs, as "forums" were like back then) "oh no, SLR will mean the death of mirrorless cameras!" But rangefinders and other non-SLR cameras never really went away - they've just been waiting to be popular again.
Rangefinders have pretty much died. Leica is the only one making them and they almost went bankrupt a few years ago.

Mirrorless cameras are not rangefinders - they are just another form of TTL cameras that has only become possible with digital. SLRs were the analog way of doing TTL. Mirrorless are the digital way.

02-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #260
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Rangefinders have pretty much died. Leica is the only one making them and they almost went bankrupt a few years ago.
So the Fuji X100 optical viewfinder is TTL?

Anyhow, semantics aside, the point is that this has all been done and said before (the great gnashing of teeth and cursing the end of something) and the world didn't stop turning.
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #261
Veteran Member

Ok some quick and dirty shots of the K-01 taken with my Samsung smartphone a few hours ago.

Front

Rear

Startup screen

Very solid feeling, this ain't no toy. Grip is fine. Those who rely on manual focusing will surely love this camera.
Pentax definitely pwned m4/3 in the area of image quality. Design is definitely unique, DSLR purists look elsewhere.
02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Check out that bright yellow K-01, too.
That's the marine/snow edition

02-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ok some quick and dirty shots of the K-01 taken with my Samsung smartphone a few hours ago.
You didn't have a chance to see it auto focussing, by accident? If it is like K-5 or improved upon...
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe before we get into these discussions .. we really need to ask... what problem are you trying to solve? Many solutions create new problems. As far as I can see, we've pretty much pushed the limits with what we've done. The only thing that cam make any difference at all in IQ, as I see it would be improved sensor technology. And that can be applied to any camera.
I can only imagine what it must be like to hang ariound a golf Forum and discuss golf clubs and dimple patterns.

I'm just going to buy the damned thing and see what happens. I know I'll use it for video - maybe I can figure out how to take stills as well.
02-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #265
Banned

No, but it is not a rangefinder viewfinder either. And the EVF part (since it is a hybrid VF) is TTL.

A rangefinder mechanism superimposes a smaller image obtained from a separate visor over the center image you see from the main optical visor. You confirm focus when the image in the smaller view becomes identical to the center of the larger one. The way to recognize this mechanism is by the two windows on the front of the camera - if you only have one, it cannot be a rangefinder. The Fuji cameras only copy the look of rangefinders, but they are not such cameras.

This is how a rangefinder looks like:

The rectangular window on the right is the main visor. The round one on the left is the rangefinder visor. When you focus the lens, a flange extends from it and activates a lever, which in turn changes the angle of the rangefinder mirror, panning the small image left or right, so you can try to overlap it over the main one. In practice, it is pretty fast to determine focus - much easier than doing it manually on a DSLR. But precision falls apart at very close distances or at very long ones. Check the images of the Leica M9 and you'll see the rangefinder window to the left of the red dot.

The wikipedia article on rangefinders has a nice image showing an unfocused rangefinder view next to a focused one.
02-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No, but it is not a rangefinder viewfinder either.
Thanks for making it clear.

There is an even simpler way to state it:

A rangefinder allows manual focus thru the optical VF. The Fuji Xs do not.
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #267
Veteran Member

Anyhow, semantics aside, the point is that this has all been done and said before (the great gnashing of teeth and cursing the end of something) and the world didn't stop turning.
the fuji is not an RF certainly