Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #46

Well, I just got done looking at some high rez images, and several of them show the inside of what once used to be the mirror box.
The sensor is in plain view, but I could not see anything relating to a shutter curtain. The specs at B&H do mention "fast Shutter" actuation,
so it seems to have a shutter, but is it electronic or conventional? Otherwise, I would assume that folks buying into this system will deal with
a lot of dust bunnies and contamination. Will have to wait and see...

02-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Well, gee. It only does 6FPS. It needs at least 50FPS.
02-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Does this mean it's actually positioned below DSLRs and above P&S, sort of a full-manual...compact ILC? Like a Canon G-series with interchangeable? Or more of like direct competition for the Nikon CX format and M4/3?

Coz if it sits above the K-r (or its future replacement) for example... it makes the lineup really weird.
Many ILCs are priced above entry level DSLRs. Especially full-manual ones (such as the X1 Pro) are very expensive... I think that one is in FF territory. Olympus is also preparing something like that it seems, and it is said to be top of the range.
02-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

That's what I would have done.

02-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strap doesn't make it clear enough what brand the camera is.
02-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #51
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Give PEF, please. I don't use DNG, because I use C1Pro.
02-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #52
Veteran Member

ever try to focus K50/1.2 using lcd on a nex?
After many hrs training, success rate increased from 2% to 6-10%

Tried with K85/1.8 using lcd to focus: success rate is <2% after days of training

when paired with AF lenses, this K01 might be very good, but paired with MF lenses?
I don't know what to say....

You may need to change eye glasses as well...

02-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

The pluses are that it has SR and will work with ALL K-Mount lenses per the official specs. However, they trimmed the functions available significantly:

"The K-01 unfortunately seems to have lost Sv and TAv modes, two popular modes found on higher-end Pentax DSLRs in which you set the sensitivity and the camera does the rest, and you set the shutter speed and aperture and the camera sets the sensitivity, respectively. A few K-5 features, such as 2-5 frame bracketing and EV shifts of up to 5, have been excluded as well, hinting at what target audience this camera is aimed for."
02-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Well, I just got done looking at some high rez images, and several of them show the inside of what once used to be the mirror box.
The sensor is in plain view, but I could not see anything relating to a shutter curtain. The specs at B&H do mention "fast Shutter" actuation,
so it seems to have a shutter, but is it electronic or conventional? Otherwise, I would assume that folks buying into this system will deal with
a lot of dust bunnies and contamination. Will have to wait and see...
It has a shutter. See The Camera Store's video of it - upon activating the shutter button, you see the shutter cut across the sensor.
02-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #55
Veteran Member

This: Pentax announces K-01 K-mount APS-C mirrorless camera: Digital Photography Review

Really it doesn't seem to be much smaller than the K-5. Yes, it's 1/2 the price, but apart from the video feature (which looks tempting) it's 1/2 the camera. Better save a bit longer and buy the K-5 or its successor.
02-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #56
Veteran Member

In the video the guys from the Camera store clearly don't like the styling at all but keep positive about the features.

What I noticed in the video is that the shots of the camera on dolly show it with LOTS of white specs - just like the silicon sleeves for my old cell phones that I hated so much. Problem is that the rubberized exterior on this is not removable
02-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #57
Inactive Account

The K-01 does have focus peaking. In the pre-production units it works pretty well.
02-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #58

It is nice to see they've maintained battery compatibility by re-using the D-Li90. That may have contributed to the thickness of the body (in conjunction with the large sensor).
But for the new lenses to not work on the DSLR's is a shame. I would have preferred an expansion of their regular DA line-up. They could have just as easily used the DA 35/F2.4
as a kit lens. It would have made the K-01 look better in their release shots as well. OK, that's a personal opinion...
02-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I absolutely LOVE that the battery is the same as the k-5. If the reviews are good and the users like this camera, I'm sure I'll add it to my collection of *stds, k-10, k-20, k-x and k-5!
02-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
It is nice to see they've maintained battery compatibility by re-using the D-Li90. That may have contributed to the thickness of the body (in conjunction with the large sensor).
But for the new lenses to not work on the DSLR's is a shame. I would have preferred an expansion of their regular DA line-up. They could have just as easily used the DA 35/F2.4
as a kit lens. It would have made the K-01 look better in their release shots as well. OK, that's a personal opinion...
the new lenses do work on DSLR, and will sell for $249 separately apparently when it's released on it's own

PENTAX - smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens

based on this if they do a 21 and 70 variant they would likely sell for 300-350 or so, which would give the trio maybe a 999 set price. or a special edition of the camera with all 3 for christmas say with a price of 1699 or less.