Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Problem #72: I can't find the viewfinder in this thing.

Happy to help.....

it's just a wee bit larger than most.

02-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Happy to help.....

it's just a wee bit larger than most.
No, that one is the screen one uses to take pictures of his cat at home.

I'm talking about the viewfinder, the one that's used when you go out and have to actually see what is being shot.
02-03-2012, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #78

I'm talking about the viewfinder, the one that's used when you go out and have to actually see what is being shot.
Yeah, What he said.
02-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #79

So, does this K-01 come with sensor stains..?

02-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
So, does this K-01 come with sensor stains..?
I thought sensor stains were only a thing of the older gen sensors hmm?
02-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I thought sensor stains were only a thing of the older gen sensors hmm?
They only show up if you lick the front of your lens....try it.
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
They only show up if you lick the front of your lens....try it.
That's how I clean my lenses. Gotta trust that good ol' spit shine~!

02-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #83
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've only viewed it here on the screen, and already I need glasses for going cross-eyed.
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #84
Banned

so I guess everyone who has ever used an LCD for composing a shot couldn't see what they were doing? there is basically no difference between livewview on an LCD and an EVF. I seem to be able to see just fine when I snap photos with my iPhone, you know because it doesn't have a viewfinder and all, how do I manage that? or anyone who may use a camera with no viewfinder can't be a 'real' photographer? because that sure seems to be what you are eluding to. if the camera doesn't fit your needs, there is no reason to continue bashing it like you have been doing. everyone knows you aren't pleased. you've made your case, now its time to move on. there comes a time when criticism becomes useless whining, and that time has come. this goes for quite a number of people on this forum. clearly, you don't get the camera, because you are only looking at it from your own personal viewpoint, from your own personal wants and desires, and this camera wasn't designed to appeal to the consumer based on previous models, customer input, competing cameras. standard segment offerings, etc. this was designed by a designer, not camera engineers. if you don't get that, then you just don't get it, but there is no reason to bash it for not living up to criteria it was never designed to live up to in the first place.
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so I guess everyone who has ever used an LCD for composing a shot couldn't see what they were doing? there is basically no difference between livewview on an LCD and an EVF. I seem to be able to see just fine when I snap photos with my iPhone, you know because it doesn't have a viewfinder and all, how do I manage that? or anyone who may use a camera with no viewfinder can't be a 'real' photographer? because that sure seems to be what you are eluding to. if the camera doesn't fit your needs, there is no reason to continue bashing it like you have been doing. everyone knows you aren't pleased. you've made your case, now its time to move on. there comes a time when criticism becomes useless whining, and that time has come. this goes for quite a number of people on this forum. clearly, you don't get the camera, because you are only looking at it from your own personal viewpoint, from your own personal wants and desires, and this camera wasn't designed to appeal to the consumer based on previous models, customer input, competing cameras. standard segment offerings, etc. this was designed by a designer, not camera engineers. if you don't get that, then you just don't get it, but there is no reason to bash it for not living up to criteria it was never designed to live up to in the first place.
Well said. Every time a new product comes out All i see is a huge number of people imprinting their Wants and needs on the model whether or not it was even designed for their market segment.
Personally I think this is a good start that get's some excitement for the brand and talk happening, while giving time for the ricoh developed / influenced gear to make it's way down the line. I think it may well apeal to a segment of P&S up-graders who really would have been intimidated not only by DSLR but also by some of the referenced mirrorless models like the nex 7 and the fuji and the OMD. these are of course the mirrorless for the advanced user not the snap-shooter who may want better quality (or as some people have said a camera for my wife to use that works with all my lenses that I too can enjoy using...)
and though many find it ugly others have said they like the look. The fashion crowd may well like it, it's not the generic black box most cameras are, and it's easier to use than some of the serious retro gear.
Though I think 899 with the 40 or 18-55 is a little high, i would not be surprised to see it hit a street price of 749 for this kit pretty quickly to compete more directly with the Nex 5 price and the newer Oly's and Panas as opposed for the old end of life models being blown out everywhere for silly prices
02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this was designed by a designer, not camera engineers.
And that speaks volumes about how failed the design is. The job of a designer is to meet requirements. The most basic requirement for a camera with that quality should be: have a viewfinder. You can argue that this is not for a target audience that cares for a VF. Maybe if Pentax really intended this for video only, it makes all the sense to rule out the VF. But they are not really marketing it as such, so I don't know.

If you need anedoctal evidence, just head to DPreview. 9 out of 10 comments are "I really liked the specs, but without a VF it's a dealbreaker", which is a shame because Pentax could be making ton of money if they released the right product. And all the talk and mockery about it's looks, in the end, meant almost nothing. People liked or disliked it mainly because of the specs and K-mount.

That said, no need to get upset on my comments. I was just being sarcastic to Docrwm, obviously.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 02-03-2012 at 12:45 PM.
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #87
Banned

And that speaks volumes about how failed the design is. The job of a designer is to meet requirements. The most basic requirement for a camera with that quality should be: have a viewfinder. You can argue that this is not for a target audience that cares for a VF. Maybe if Pentax really intended this for video only, it makes all the sense to rule out the VF. But they are not really marketing it as such, so I don't know.
WRONG. you are assuming that the designer had to meet certain criteria. did you even watch the video interview? Pentax basically gave him full, and complete control with the design. and if you had taken some time to get to know the designer, you would know that he is in fact well known for taking the reins and doing an entire design himself as opposed to working with and succeeding to the engineers or other designers. that case was made clear with his project car for the Ford Motor Co. I can't argue what audience Pentax may have intended this to be for any more than you can, so why don't you stop assuming,arguing against it, and trying to tell everyone what it absolutely should have or not have. just because what you want, and maybe even what a lot of people want, is something it should have, doesn't mean that it has to have it. what anyone wants isn't a requirement. does it make sense to deliver a camera to the consumer market without a viewfinder? well, time will tell, but wether it makes sense is irrelevant because the designer chose not to have one. the truth is (again if you had taken some time to get to know the designer and informed yourself of the project between Pentax and Mr. Newson you would understand this) that Mr. Newson not Pentax designed this camera essentially for himself and anybody with a similar design aesthetic. he clearly states in the video interview that what he designed is what HE would like to have and what HE thought others might like. not what Pentax wanted, not what the current segment 'demands', not what YOU want, not anything but what he wanted and what appealed to him. because he was the designer, and Pentax gave him the reigns to design the camera. Pentax didn't intend this camera for anything, Pentax basically said 'we want to have a Kmount mirrorless camera, and we want you to design it.' and this is what the designer designed. why is that so hard of everyone to grasp? this isn't the work of Pentax, yet all of you are bashing it for not being what you expect Pentax to have given you. and this goes for everyone else on DPReview and the rest of the web. nobody cares to take the time to realize that Mr. Newson designed a camera, not Pentax. so why say 'Pentax should have put an EVF, why no viewfinder?' because Mr. Newson, the designer clearly designed it without one. the best way to describe this camera is a concept camera that has come to market. thats what it is, a concept camera. a camera that is as much of an artistic piece - a study in design, as it is a camera. why everybody doesn't get that is just beyond me. by the way, I'm not upset at anyone, just shocked that so many people are unfairly judging it without even understanding it. ill reiterate my last statement from my previous post.

there is no reason to bash it for not living up to criteria it was never designed to live up to in the first place.

think about that.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #88
Veteran Member

There seems to be a lot of people obsessed with the lack of VF on the K-01. Each of us that think a VF is a requirement on a DSLR are NOT the customer for this camera. I know we're all excited to see what Pentax is coming out with but the K-01 is NOT a K-5 replacement. Might not even be a K-r replacement. The K-01 is the camera that almost every middle-class mom & dad that walked into Sam's Club to buy a D3100/5100 etc.. would have purchased instead. When those folks, who have never used a view finder on any of their point-n-shoot cams that had one, do their internet research, they'll discover that with the low-light performance of the K-5 sensor and gazillion-point auto-focus the K-01 will be perfect for all their gymnastics, dance, basketball, hockey, school play and birthday party needs. I say this because it's probably what I would have done and I guarantee it's what my neighbor would have done. He would still be happy with his, I would likely be looking to upgrade to K-5 replacement after about a year because I have grown into the photography hobby. That upgrade path, from DSLR newbie to pro-sumer DSLR makes pretty good business sense. For it to work, they need the K-01 to be right next to the D5100 at Sam's club or Walmart or Costco etc... It belongs less in a "real" camera shop because people shopping there are more like the people posting here... VF people.
02-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #89
Veteran Member

The one negative from past Pentax DSLR sans vertical grip was it's too small to hold...i doubt you'll get that with this body
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #90

Well the mirror problem can be solved easily - have the K01 make the sound of mirror flopping and vibrate accordingly.