Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #106
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I like that the K-01 software bundle now includes the proper Silkypix Developer Studio, which seems an upgrade to the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4..
I am not sure that Silkypix Developer Studio is better than PDCU. Quite the opposite.

PDCU has more functions and Studio Developer 3 is a downgrade IMO.

05-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Depends on the size and weight of the lens, of course. And your confidence in SR. The issue is not that much different from normal DSLR's.
I have actually seen people on the street walking around with NEX's with big lenses attached, so I know it is not impossible.
Here's a test that's easy to do. Take a dslr with LV, attach a long lens to it. Take a picture of a distant object in LV(in SR mode) and than using the VF in SR. Compare the 2 shots at 100% and see which is sharper.

I did that test with the DA*300 attached to my K5. The results are much sharper in VF mode. If one is just taking pics for screen use, its probably good enough. Or if one jacked up the shutter speeds much higher, that might help even it out as well. But try it yourself - seeing is believing - sometimes
05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Here's a test that's easy to do. Take a dslr with LV, attach a long lens to it. Take a picture of a distant object in LV(in SR mode) and than using the VF in SR. Compare the 2 shots at 100% and see which is sharper.

I did that test with the DA*300 attached to my K5. The results are much sharper in VF mode. If one is just taking pics for screen use, its probably good enough. Or if one jacked up the shutter speeds much higher, that might help even it out as well. But try it yourself - seeing is believing - sometimes
Personal experience - I can shoot equivalent sharpness out to 200mm (using the correct supporting SLR grip on the K-01). Beyond 200 things get awfully dicey unless I use a monopod. I can hand hold to 300mm with a traditional SLR/dSLR.

But then I don't think a NoVF camera is really intended for long lenses. That's for OVF cameras - and for me, at least a monopod.
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But then I don't think a NoVF camera is really intended for long lenses. That's for OVF cameras - and for me, at least a monopod.
That's pretty much my take as well. Even with my Pen, I have trouble shooting longer focal lengths. I can do it, but I am more comfortable with an OVF and traditional dSLR.

I restrict my mirrorless cameras to shorter focal lengths (135mm and shorter).

05-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I restrict my mirrorless cameras to shorter focal lengths (135mm and shorter).
Me too, really. I can do 200mm but its a lot of work.

I shot a video with the K-01/55~300 at 280 Thursday (same subject as my posted pic of my daughter) which came out quite nicely except when panning it shakes like the phone cam videos of distant tornados we see on the local news regularly. My older daughter (News Producer) laughed out loud <g>
05-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #111

lens stuck on

i find that i have a lens stuck on the camera.
it will rotate, a little, but the 'lens-release' button will NOT release the lens

is this a 'pentax' problem with the aged k-mount, or, is my camera faulty?

help

Rob-48
05-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
i have a lens stuck on the camera
What make and model of lens is it?

05-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #113

lens is Sirius 28mm f2.8 macro
05-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #114

lens is Sirius 28mm f2.8 macro MC automatic
serial#910718
05-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
i find that i have a lens stuck on the camera.
it will rotate, a little, but the 'lens-release' button will NOT release the lens

is this a 'pentax' problem with the aged k-mount, or, is my camera faulty?

help

Rob-48
Read these threads here:

http://http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=40920009

It's probably the old Ricoh pin version of the K-mount, which causes problems. Not a problem with the K-mount, but rather Ricoh's "version" of it. Kind of ironic that they produced a strange version that caused problems, and now they're the owners of Pentax.
05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #116

the irony of this ownership has also occurred to me ... ROFLMAO
05-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #117
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Don't know is this known bug or not.
There're missing/blank Lens Type/Lens ID EXIF tags in JPEGs from K-01. Tried LightRoom 4 and Aperture 3 (MacOSX).
But it's Ok with DNG though.
Here's a screenshot from Aperture side by side JPEG and DNG from "RAW+" camera pair:

ExifTool utility on the other side seemed to shows up correct Lens Type in the same JPEG.

Has anyone the same issue with K-01 jpegs?
Should upgrade to LR4.1RC or Aperture 3.2.4 fix it?

UPD: Upgraded to the last LR4.1RC2, Aperture 3.2.4 + Camera RAW 3.13.0 and have imported a couple of brand new "RAW+" shots.
The issue persists in both LR&Aperture. There's no lens model in JPEG's EXIF, though DNG shows up everything correct.

UPD2: )))) Found temporary workaround here
Code:
bash% exiftool '-LensType>Lens' imagename.JPG

Last edited by cmexonat; 05-28-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: found workaround
05-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #118
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
they should have announced a k-02 to go with it complete with viewfinder - or an addon viewfinder for use with the k-01, does anyon know know if there is provision for such a thing

Yes there is a type of provision for this. One has the option of adding a few different optical viewfinders onto the hotshoe. The Pentax one isn't all that inexpensive though. Several other companies do make ones that are considerablty less expensive. If one happens to know people that also work at metal shops; one could even have a non optical one fabricated; using care not to short out the hotshoe connections.

Then there are also the various screen covers, and also perhaps more importantly how they attach. Some attach with a version on tape, other with magnets ( I do not recommend these due to the ever so slim chance of even very small power magnets possibly causing issues with the screen), and still even others somehow connecting via the hotshoe or the tripod socket.