Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #91
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Well the mirror problem can be solved easily - have the K01 make the sound of mirror flopping and vibrate accordingly.
If you reverse the polarity of the SR in the K-01 you can get an excellent simulation of mirror slap.

02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The job of a designer is to meet requirements. The most basic requirement for a camera with that quality should be: have a viewfinder.
In one of the Newson interviews he was asked why there was no viewfinder. He said it wasn't in the brief - he wasn't asked to put one into the design.

If Pentax had said - make a design that includes a viewfinder, the K-01 design would have featured a viewfinder.

Similarly, Pentax insisted on using the same battery as the K-5/K-7, apparently, rather than a smaller one as Newson originally wanted, and of course that he had to design the whole camera around K-mount. So the primary parameters for the design were set by the client, including whether the camera needed to include a VF or not. A designer can exercise his creativity, but they can't usually be given carte blanche, particularly in industrial design.

Last edited by rawr; 02-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In one of the Newson interviews he was asked why there was no viewfinder. He said it wasn't in the brief - he wasn't asked to put one into the design.

If Pentax had said - make a design that includes a viewfinder, the K-01 design would have featured a viewfinder.

Similarly, Pentax insisted on using the same battery as the K-5/K-7, apparently, rather than a smaller one as Newson originally wanted, and of course that he had to design the whole camera around K-mount. So the primary parameters for the design were set by the client, including whether the camera needed to include a VF or not. A designer can exercise his creativity, but they can't usually be given carte blanche, particularly in industrial design.
+1. Pentax is solely responsible for the design and manufacture of its cameras. If they didn't like the design Newson created, they could have easily said: go back and add a VF. So get beyond the grief process, it is what it is.

Our resp. as discerning photographers, is to decide if this tool meets our needs. If it does, buy it if you wish, if not, don't buy or buy something else. No big deal either way.

It appears from available rumours that a replacement Kr is going to be announced or shown this month. If they put the 16 mpx sensor in the K01, i believe they will put the same sensor in the replacement for the Kr. So if folks don't like the K01, they can wait because within a month we will see the replacement Kr which will have liveview and a VF.

It doesn't bother me to use the LCD during liveview on my K5 or the lcd on my Canon PS, so why would the lack of a VF bother me on the K01. We need to know more about how easy this camera is to use and its IQ, but I might buy a K01 down the road. On the other hand, it might not have some K5 features i really like, e.g. a separate AF button, that i would find more of a problem than the VF. we'll have to wait and see.
02-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #94
Veteran Member

<p>Don't forget that a viewfinder costs money. Look at the viewfinders you can add to ILC cameras. A high quality one will definitely not be cheap, which means the price for this camera would go up significantly. This is probably really for design conscious people who want a PS with better image quality, and thankfully it offers a way of upgrading to their DSLRs which is very smart of Pentax.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I am sure Pentax hasn't forgotten you, every manufacturer offers at least one camera with and one without VF, it is just that Pentax chose to release the one without first. We'll see what comes next, but it is very clear that this will not replace the K-R.</p>

Also don't forget that EVFs are improving very fast. I'd rather have them wait a bit than to get a poor quality screen.

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-04-2012 at 01:33 AM.
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the camera. I want the camera. But there is so much negative response that now I don't like myself any more.
02-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I like the camera. I want the camera. But there is so much negative response that now I don't like myself any more.
What's interesting is how some people's opinions are shifting slightly now that the initial shock has worn off and additional pictures are being shared. As I've said before, some really good designs take a while to sink in because they are challenging pre-conceived notions.
02-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everybody needs to think out of the box with regards to the K-01 (pun intended).
Shed off your pre-conceived notions and reserve judgement till you get to try the camera in person. Having tried the K-01 today, have to say I like it.

02-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What's interesting is how some people's opinions are shifting slightly now that the initial shock has worn off and additional pictures are being shared. As I've said before, some really good designs take a while to sink in because they are challenging pre-conceived notions.
Adam's thread from yesterday afternoon about the PF Ad response on the Facebook page (Like it or not, the K-01 is appealing) almost immediately gets hijacked to poster comments about the camera. Almost every comment is more positive. Many of the posters say they are (surprisingly, to themselves) warning up to it.

Don't ever discount the positive effect you have had from Moment One leaning into the hurricane, saying you like it. There are 40 or 50 respected members to whom people listen - at least enough to take a deep breath and think again.

Frank and creampuff (Singapore Users Group generally) are also in that group.

My opinion is - this camera isn't for everyone, nor is it for everything - but it is leagues ahead of the competition for what it is for. As they have done so often over the year, I believe Pentax has dramatically changed the conversation. This is just the beginning.

Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy.
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I was expecting Pentax gave him "full freedom", considering what was said on the first interview that was posted here on PF. He said: "They gave me the opportunity to reinvent the camera".

But if Pentax actually had a briefing which didn't included any kind of VF... Then it's their own fault if this won't sell because of bad product positioning judgement.
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was expecting Pentax gave him "full freedom", considering what was said on the first interview that was posted here on PF. He said: "They gave me the opportunity to reinvent the camera".

But if Pentax actually had a briefing which didn't included any kind of VF... Then it's their own fault if this won't sell because of bad product positioning judgement.
Bet you a PayPal dollar this camera is a Home Run for Pentax. Put it up.
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #101
Banned

they gave him as close to full freedom as any designer could hope to have. many times, designers have to try and work around a laundry list of things the engineers or in house designers refuse to step aside on, or the PR guys say you have to have in order to be marketable. its clear that you 1: still don't understand this camera, and 2: refuse to accept that anything different than what you expect, will naturally fail. if everyone thought like you we would have no room in the world for new designs and changes in the way we see and do things.

people said the white and blue K-m was stupid. it wouldn't sell, then people said the rainbow of colours for the K-x and K-r was stupid and it wouldn't sell. people even said the Q was pointless and wouldn't sell. did any of these cameras make pentax millions and millions? probably not, but none of them were failures, and each one not only had an effect on the established brands and ideas in design, but they also got Pentax's name out there without huge marketing campaigns. through all these so called 'failed' cameras, Pentax is still here and still designing cameras. hell people even said the 645D was doomed to fail. because people didn't want a cheaper digital MF with a non-swappable back. is the 645D a failure? nope.

learn to "think different" and stop judging everything Pentax puts out, on the merits and features of other cameras. giving us a 'slightly better version of whats already on the table' is not the way Pentax does things and it never has been, since 1952.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #102
Veteran Member

The k-05 is going to draw a lot of attention to the next Pentax DSLR, especially when people realise what sort of IQ it can deliver.
02-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #103
Veteran Member

From what I understood from that interview the briefing was that he could do whatever he wanted to, and that the viewfinder was removed early on in the design process. That means he actually considered adding one, but then thought it was unnecessary.

Hopefully the collaboration can continue, but with a bigger focus on photographers.
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #104

i do think the lack of a viewfinder was a mistake, the primary reason for buing this camera over other mirrorless cameras is the lens selection - but using larger and heavier lenses with the lcd without a tripod is basically impossible they should have announced a k-02 to go with it complete with viewfinder - or an addon viewfinder for use with the k-01, does anyon know know if there is provision for such a thing?
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
using larger and heavier lenses with the lcd without a tripod is basically impossible
Depends on the size and weight of the lens, of course. And your confidence in SR. The issue is not that much different from normal DSLR's.
I have actually seen people on the street walking around with NEX's with big lenses attached, so I know it is not impossible.
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
an addon viewfinder for use with the k-01, does anyon know know if there is provision for such a thing?
There are a range of options for 3rd party add-on viewfinders (optical, electronic), depending on what you want to use the camera for (street, video making etc). Several existing threads are already discussing those options.