Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think of the looks of the K-01?
Awesome! Sign me up for an SLR w/o a mirrorbox because it's smaller! 3016.30%
Awesome! Sign me up for a canary yellow one! 179.24%
Eh? I can live with it. Let's see what the features are first before I buy one 8445.65%
Damn, that's fugly...I'm not buying that redheaded stepchild freak 5328.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

... I just can't call it ugly. What I find ugly and frankly unnecessary is the Nikon V1. It contains some neat tech, but it looks like a P&S-style prototype body containing that tech, is a middling offering in general, and seems very hard to use as a photographic tool. Every time I push the cart past the V1 display in Target I stop to handle one, and leave even less enamored of it each time. It's almost an expensive fail, IMO, it's saving graces being the VF and the new AF system.

This is much like a NEX 5N that will autofocus K-mount lenses. It may yet have an external VF available, perhaps a good one. It's CDAF may be very good. It looks better than the NEX bodies, has the excellent K-5 sensor, will probably cost less than the K-5, and autofocuses K-mount lenses.

I'd love to see a wide-angle prime for this, I'm hoping it has a good VF on the way, I'm hoping the price is right and I'm hoping the AF isn't terrible. I guess you could say I have some hope, which isn't something the 'Q' brought me.

(and let's not overlook the fact that this is a 'yes' vote for K-mount from Ricoh.)
I would call the J1 and V1 anything but ugly. Pointless, useless, yes, but ugly? No. Actually they are very pretty.

The K-01 looks good too, however they are unfortunate that Fuji just launched the X1 Pro. THAT is just gorgeous, and it has all the dials and rings that I could ask for (ok, another dial for ISO on top of the camera like the exposure dial would be amazing). The usability seems to be perfect, unlike most DSLRs. Only problem is proprietary lenses (I'd rather have a K-mount or something more universal) and the price.

Btw., didn't Colani totally redesign the SLR... that camera (T90) forever changed the design of SLRs (unfortunately...). So it can work.

A K1000 like camera would be great, but then please make it a DSLR. That's what I am hoping for all the time... replace the scene modes etc. with a shutter speed time, add a way to chose the aperture if the lens doesn't support it, and keep the controls relatively old school. Hell, I'd be fine with them removing JPEG processing if it keeps price low. A cheap, well built mostly manual retro DSLR using the K5 sensor. Aim at hipsters, photography students, people stuck in the past, people who want to be cool. Surely that could do well as there is no competition apart from the overpriced Leicas and Fujis?

The K-01 could be like a rangefinder Pentax instead.

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
02-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully people considering the X-pro will have a look at a group test comparing it to the k-01, and will notice how much better the image quality is from the Pentax and how much lower the price is!

Besides the camera looks fine IMHO, especially with real lenses.

02-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that ugly in terms of looks, but not so positively-unique, either. I can live with this design, but it's not enough for me to make it the main selling point if I were to recommend Pentax cameras to my friends.
02-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #34
Veteran Member

You know i think its the texture of the grip that makes it look bad, hopefully its because of the cg rendering (it looks plastic), maybe the texture looks better in the real thing and it wouldnt be so bad.

02-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

It looks like only the top and bottom plates are of magnesium alloy/K-5 finish.
02-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #36
Pentaxian

With the new lens it looks as a mid 80's plastic point and shoot that is trying to pass as an SLR. (But never really fooled anyone.)

I was actually expecting something more extreme design wise, now it's ugly but not shockingly spectacular over the top woo-ha ugly.
02-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

After looking at high res pics from:
http://www.pentax.ru/press/pool/mirrorless/K-01/

I'm changing my vote to: love it! :P
02-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote

At first I thought it was OK.
But now after looking at those hi-res pics and seeing pics of FA ltds on it, I quite like it I think, its certainly growing on me!

02-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote

After seeing the final pictures, especially the silver on black one I really like the design. Still not in par with the Fuji X100, obvioulsy different but much better than any other mirrorless. A very good looking camera. Now, if it AF well then we'll really have something to talk about.
02-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Design critics

Now, with the hi res pictures being out, I've a dedicated opinion now.

1. Overall mediocre or average, maybe just above average. Acceptable but I don't like it like I should.

2. Marc Newson design decisions which I criticize:

- Violates form follows function as there is no VF but a VF hub. The flash is no excuse as it can and then should recess.

- There would have been space for recessed knobs too (like the rear dial), making the camera lower. It would have been important to do w/o an EVF -- but no ...

- The camera looks too boxy, emphasizing its enormous (for a mirrorless) depth when looking from above or from an angle. My silver K-5 does a very good job to make it look slim when looked at from above, using angled surfaces in the silver part on top. Marc decided to emphasize the K-01's weakness, bad briefing ...

- The column under the mode dial is ugly, compressed and looking like an anomaly or an ulcer. Even emphasized by all but the black color scheme.

3. Overall, I think that the black color scheme (with the silver hot shoe bulge) looks better than the other.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal taste. This was mine
02-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Hopefully people considering the X-pro will have a look at a group test comparing it to the k-01, and will notice how much better the image quality is from the Pentax and how much lower the price is!

Besides the camera looks fine IMHO, especially with real lenses.
The X1 Pro is better in terms of usability. It's what I wanted for many years. And better image quality? Didn't I recently read that it has 5D Mk II rivaling IQ, at least in terms of sharpness? I think both cameras will be competitive. Lower price... yes, hopefully, otherwise I don't see a lot speaking for the K-01, even though I already have several lenses for it and the X1 Pro lenses are quite expensive.

HQ photos aren't loading... again. I don't seem to have any luck with these photos, or the Russian server is being hammered. Ok, it is being hammered.

Now it is loading... slowly. But I have noticed that there are no dials etc. to set exposure, aperture and ISO (perhaps through the zoom dial, but that one doesn't look terribly ergonomic). No competition whatsoever to the Fuji I am afraid. This is click and snap territory. And god is it fat.

Would it have hurt to install high quality microphones into a body this big? I mean... it's not like they ran out of space, did they?

I would have used the space they have due to the distance the lens needs from the sensor to make a slim camera with a lens mount extending out of it. The lens mount could have an electronic aperture dial with various settings (perhaps imprinted via e-ink?).

Last edited by kadajawi; 02-02-2012 at 05:10 AM.
02-02-2012, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

I've seen some quite ugly mirrorless camera designs over the past years, like Nikon and Sony. But this thing is beyond ugly, it's absolutely hideous. I was so looking forward to a Pentax mirrorless camera, but I wouldn't even go near this just because of the looks. It could have been retro like Olympus and Nikon or stylish like Sony, but Pentax just had to go with the "plastic box toy" look.
02-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
1. Overall mediocre or average, maybe just above average. Acceptable but I don't like it like I should.
+1

- Violates form follows function as there is no VF but a VF hub.
I agree. The hub makes the omission of a VF even more glaring than it already is.

I cannot quite imagine the exposure compensation button placement to work well either. Looks like an uncomfortable operation to me.

I like the visual appearance of the on-off knob, but the previous solution on Pentax DSLR appears to be a lot more functional.

- The column under the mode dial is ugly, compressed and looking like an anomaly or an ulcer.
I don't like it either. I guess it may turn a few customer heads and make them wonder whether this camera has something other cameras don't have, but then there is nothing to deliver that promise (except perhaps the SR?).

Overall, too much of a "my first Sony" touch, i.e., quite a bit of toy appeal. Not my cuppa.
02-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #44

I replied in another thread but maybe this one is more specifically suited for this kinda talk, so I'll just report what I wrote in the other topic.

Letting all specs talk aside (haven't read them yet), first impression is: it looks like a cross between a brick and a toy camera.

Mind you, I've always, always liked Pentax's design, from compacts to (D)SLR (I bought my *istD no less thanks to its looks), but this one doesn't do it for me. At all. And I'm sad I feel this way...
02-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #45
axl
Veteran Member

Couple of problems from mu stand point:
- only one e-dial
- wrong placement of top plate buttons (they will be unreachable by thumb yet very dificult/near impossible to reach with index finger while maintaining the grip on camera!)

All in all, big fuss for nothing IMO. It's a nice competitor to NEX, M43 and NX but once you put any meaningful zoom or prime with faster f stop and/or longer reach it will be so out of ballance that it will be PITA to handle..

So, no thanks RICOH/PENTAX, I'll wait for nest introduction to see if I'm coming back to K mount