Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think of the looks of the K-01?
Awesome! Sign me up for an SLR w/o a mirrorbox because it's smaller! 3016.30%
Awesome! Sign me up for a canary yellow one! 179.24%
Eh? I can live with it. Let's see what the features are first before I buy one 8445.65%
Damn, that's fugly...I'm not buying that redheaded stepchild freak 5328.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look is ok, no problem if there was a VF. Without VF, it's NO NO for me.

02-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

... I just can't call it ugly. What I find ugly and frankly unnecessary is the Nikon V1. It contains some neat tech, but it looks like a P&S-style prototype body containing that tech, is a middling offering in general, and seems very hard to use as a photographic tool. Every time I push the cart past the V1 display in Target I stop to handle one, and leave even less enamored of it each time. It's almost an expensive fail, IMO, it's saving graces being the VF and the new AF system.

This is much like a NEX 5N that will autofocus K-mount lenses. It may yet have an external VF available, perhaps a good one. It's CDAF may be very good. It looks better than the NEX bodies, has the excellent K-5 sensor, will probably cost less than the K-5, and autofocuses K-mount lenses.

I'd love to see a wide-angle prime for this, I'm hoping it has a good VF on the way, I'm hoping the price is right and I'm hoping the AF isn't terrible. I guess you could say I have some hope, which isn't something the 'Q' brought me.

(and let's not overlook the fact that this is a 'yes' vote for K-mount from Ricoh.)
...And it has SR. I would bet that there would be a hot shot EVF available at some point (although expect to pay for it).
02-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #48

Great looking camera

I think it's great, extremely well featured, very reasonably priced.
Pretty? Ugly? ask me again in a day or two...it's unique for sure.
With my lovely little prime lens collection, K-01 will make a nice light travel companion.
Main (only.?.) disadvantage for me - no OVF
Perhaps I am old school, hard to teach an old dog new habits...
All in all - a great nice design.
As for the poll - sorry, don't like the questions, none fits
Itzik
02-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would bet that there would be a hot shot EVF available at some point
Better don't bet. We've already ruled out a hot show EVF. The K-01 lacks the necessary contacts, for sure.

02-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #50
Veteran Member

the camera spec wise is okay but the design is a box. And this thing was suppose to be professionally designed? Compared to the Q this thing is the ugly stepsister that no one wants. But with that said the silver black one does have some charm to it even if it is a box. Why couldnt they just put the internals into a classic film body and call it a day just removal the top bits for the viewfinder. Or if they wanted to make it a box make it like the 645 body a square cube then it would have the impression of high end professional but with a apsc sensor. We could call it a mini 645d. This current design is neither slr or conventional ilc

But I do recall that the original Q design was frowned upon when it first was introduced and people warmed up to it I hope this is the same.

The yellow seems really bright in the sample press. I hope it turns out a little bit more dull like the camera in the mark newson interview in the background. Id like it in that colour but for now the black and silver looks the best.

Last edited by epqwerty; 02-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Oh so close. I think all they had to do was slim it down from the camera body to the actual grip... to give it some curves and it would have looked so much better IMO. It does look a little difficult to hold and use the buttons/dials based on the video.

For features it seems like it would have been a home run if they had put the flash to the side and put a spot for a EVF and made had the LCD pop-out.

John
(yes, it has been a while since I've posted ).
02-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought this was funny (posted in a rumors thread):

02-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess now that there's an official poll (not nearly as funny as mine, Adam ), I thought it'd be interesting to summarize the poll results so far.
It's roughly divided 25%, 50%, 25% which is an interesting distribution. The official poll has similar results (basically a hump in the middle, but the edges are higher and more even than you'd expect). The edges being higher than you'd expect show the polarizing love/hate feel I predicted.

Contrast this to the K-7 or K-5 which was probably more like 50, 30, 10 (the 10 being people who had large hands who eventually liked it w/ the battery grip) distribution. The K-7 size was relatively revolutionary at the time (small pro-build DSLR body w/ ultra quiet shutter).

Now that the official specs are out, I'm glad they decided to support the K mount (the biggest selling point IMHO) but I'm disappointed the XS lenses only work on the K-01 (though I'd hope they'll work on the K-5 successor). The video improvement was much needed and hopefully the 81 AF point system will see a big improvement in AF-C; I'm looking forward to both in the K-5 successor). I still hate the scuba breathing tube and the ridged surface unfortunately and the weird cutout on the lower left of the squarish block where you mount the lenses. It'll get a lot of chatter because it looks different, but it unfortunately doesn't look sleek or even retro (Fuji's x-pro1 is more attractive for a retro camera). It definitely follows the Pentax motto of "Be Different" and I hope it sells well...

The first hands-on video is pretty funny...the guy is struggling not to call it ugly

Last edited by kenyee; 02-02-2012 at 09:04 AM.
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Most Pentax users tend to be on the older end demographically speaking, too conservative and pretty dogmatic in matters of design, so it is to be expected that many will loath the looks and colors of the K-01. As for me I love it and will be getting one shortly.
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Oh I don't like K-01 because no viewfinder.

I worry about Semi-Professional or High End DSLR camera without viewfinder.

MUST HAVE VIEWFINDER........
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #56
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Oh I don't like K-01 because no viewfinder.

I worry about Semi-Professional or High End DSLR camera without viewfinder.

MUST HAVE VIEWFINDER........
The camera does not feature and electronic viewfinder, but could support an optical viewfinder in the flash hot shoe. The cameras screen is used for live view and focusing appeared reasonably quick, although not as quick as the quickest mirrorless cameras available.

Pentax K-01 Mirrorless Camera Hands-On Review

Don't know if it's truth
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Most Pentax users tend to be on the older end demographically speaking, too conservative ...
I waited for this argument.

Know what? a good design is timeless
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

unusual too
02-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

In a Pentax Forum, with Pentax fans, it is not surprising to see that some like the looks of this bulky hulk of a camera......it does confirm the old saying " A Face Only a Mother Could Love".

As for the lack of a viewfinder, all cameras with no viewfinder, regardless of brand, should be required to have a big red tag on them that says:

THIS CAMERA IS NOT FOR DAYLIGHT SHOOTING

Anyone that has ever been in the bright Texas sun on a hot July day (or any other month, really) knows the frustration of trying to compose when you can't see a damn thing. If this doesn't bother you...I can give you the location of a little TZ-1 Mrs Rupert threw in the river one day last August because of her frustration at not being able to see anything on her worthless screen. I didn't get angry when she tossed it......and actually agreed it was the best place for it.

Regards!
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

My personal experience with great design is that it challenges me, forces me outside of my current notions of what is good design and to consider new things and new possibilities. I may not like it at first or be standoffish, but given time I grow to appreciate it and understand how it has reset my ideas about what good design is.

On the other hand, designs that I instantly respond to are the ones that are doing a good job of triggering all of my existing notions of what good design is; they are exemplars of a style. But those designs lose their freshness quickly with me, supplanted in short order by the next exemplar of the style. It's empty calories.

From this perspective I think the Fujis are good designs but not great ones. They are refinements and rehashes of a design language established 50 years ago. They trigger my pleasure responses, but don't challenge me in the way that really great design does. They too shall pass.

Is the K-01 great design? Too early to tell. Ask me a month after receiving mine. It too is retro, but in a remixed kind of way. The fact that it is challenging me tells me that it is an interesting sign. I will say this though - it's a much braver design than those Fujis. But bravest of all may in fact be the Sony NEX-7, for it pays little homage to the past, asking instead, "what shape can today's technology take?"