Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think of the looks of the K-01?
Awesome! Sign me up for an SLR w/o a mirrorbox because it's smaller! 3016.30%
Awesome! Sign me up for a canary yellow one! 179.24%
Eh? I can live with it. Let's see what the features are first before I buy one 8445.65%
Damn, that's fugly...I'm not buying that redheaded stepchild freak 5328.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #61
Veteran Member

I guess the design looks is just barely ok. I don't like the curved shaft below the mode dial. It was disappointing the the camera was not weather-sealed or that there was not even an option for an EVF. I guess the camera was basically designed during Hoya ownership so Pentax couldn't get their hands on the Ricoh GXR add-on EVF. At least it has Ricoh's focus peaking.

The flash hump is kind of odd since the rear of the hump would have been a great place for an EVF port. It just looks like it is missing it.

Still for its attended purchasers (P&S) upgraders if might be a good camera. For a dslr user it seems like it missed the mark. Might have even missed the mark for P&S upgraders since is so larger than any other MILC. Look-wise for a non built-in EVF camera I likes the design look of the OLympus E-P3.

The rumorred D-LX medium format camera shape that was posted here a few days ago is so much nicer that the K-01 design.

I am so glad I have two K-5's and a K-7 for a back-up. I was hoping for a slightly smaller, but not too small, rugged weather-sealed camera with a built-in EVF. I might have to go with the Olympus EM5 for my "smaller" rugged weather-sealed camera. This will mean buying a few new lenses, but at least m-4/3 mount lenses is starting to have a few good choices.

Dave

02-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #62
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just realized that my new daughter in law might have gotten a Beta Model K-01 for Christmas? If so, the original design was better than the final release........ you think?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
02-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I waited for this argument.

Know what? a good design is timeless
Yeah it is hard for most Pentax users to accept that they are greying and very set in their ways. The fact is most old fogies have pretty firm views on how a camera ought to look like. So it is no surprise for many to find it hard to break out of the mold and embrace a new designs or colors. When Pentax introduced color variations with the K-x and K-r, appealing to new and younger users, many howled in disbelief that any camera could be anything other than black or silver.

So it is the same for the K-01. I think the design is fresh and new but whether it is timeless or not isn't important. Most will never be able to unshackle their mental blocks and be prepared to fork out money for this camera, no matter how cheap it is. And you know what? Pentax/Ricoh are smart enough to know that this demographic is not where the money is. It's appealing to a newer and fresher segment who appreciate design and have the means or propensity to buy this camera without any qualms. Mirrorless is where the money and the market moving is to but most Pentax users are blissfully oblivious to this trend.
02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #64
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yeah it is hard for most Pentax users to accept that they are greying and very set in their ways. The fact is most old fogies have pretty firm views on how a camera ought to look like. So it is no surprise for many to find it hard to break out of the mold and embrace a new designs or colors. When Pentax introduced color variations with the K-x and K-r, appealing to new and younger users, many howled in disbelief that any camera could be anything other than black or silver.

So it is the same for the K-01. I think the design is fresh and new but whether it is timeless or not isn't important. Most will never be able to unshackle their mental blocks and be prepared to fork out money for this camera, no matter how cheap it is. And you know what? Pentax/Ricoh are smart enough to know that this demographic is not where the money is. It's appealing to a newer and fresher segment who appreciate design and have the means or propensity to buy this camera without any qualms. Mirrorless is where the money and the market moving is to but most Pentax users are blissfully oblivious to this trend.
Perhaps you are right to some degree...but the old and grey have the money in most cases...I can buy any camera I desire, and any lens they make, but that doesn't mean I will or do.....you don't get in that position by buying everything that comes along. This may have a market, we won't know for a while, but for a lot of those "old shooters" looks and the feel of a solid body do matter. Maybe it shouldn't, but it absolutely does. As I have said before, no one goes out looking for an ugly wife that can cook good. Well, no one I know.

Best Regards!

02-02-2012, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You'd think so, but the K-x/r color palette was plenty made fun of by Engadget or Gizmodo and they're a fairly young crowd...techies (20 somethings), etc. The same people made fun of Nikon when they did it to their DSLRs, but used more toned down colors
It'd be interesting to do another poll of just the people who love the K-01 and see what their age demographic is. Same w/ the ones who hate it. Then you'd have proof of your theory...or a refutation of your theory.

Both reviewers in the hands-on didn't look that old but both thought it was ugly (you could see it in the guy's face when the reviewer did the reveal to him)...brick-like...and that doesn't include the ones that make fun of the snorkel tube. So I don't think age is the pure determinant of whether you love/hate it (I'm not including the people who are neutral about the look)...
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #66
Pentaxian

I think K-01 isn't something that hits immediatelly in your visual nerve in good way. And that is a point that I like in this cam. It's shape brings out nicelly lenses round shape. It is daring and challenging. something to look and handle from day to day. Lenses you use with it stands out. It really is growing on me...I don't need mirrorless, but this might be nice, fun to use and something special..?! Let's see how it will work in normal use.
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #67
Banned

I am glad people hate the yellow one so my pre-ordered yellow K-01 will be shipped quicker.

02-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #68
Inactive Account

I can't say I like the design but the yellow one looks really cute. I'd surely buy it if I could only justify spending 900$ for a cute toy.
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #69
Inactive Account

K-01

Personally I like the looks of the K-01. It is original and people seem to notice it. I am happy with it. and it takes great photos.