Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do you think of the looks of the K-01?
Awesome! Sign me up for an SLR w/o a mirrorbox because it's smaller! 3016.30%
Awesome! Sign me up for a canary yellow one! 179.24%
Eh? I can live with it. Let's see what the features are first before I buy one 8445.65%
Damn, that's fugly...I'm not buying that redheaded stepchild freak 5328.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you think of the looks of the K-01?

Well...someone had to do this, so I might as well....

02-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I like the idea of a poll but I find the choices to be a little on the far fetched side

Having said that, I don't care for the look myself, though I wouldn't go as far as calling it fugly.
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The answer have nothing to do about the look

I like very much the design of it but I will not answer your poll
02-01-2012, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no problems with the look at all. I really don't. It isn't meant to be a K-5 replacement or a K-r replacement so I have no problems with the design of this camera whatsoever. I'd buy it anyway - it's a K-mount interchangeable lens camera with the K-5's sensor. I'll take that sensor over a M43 any day (even though I love the Panny G3).

People who want a K-r or K-5 replacement should think and actually read about what this camera is supposed to be before whining about the K-01's looks or possible features - besides, CP+ is still a week away and anything can happen.

02-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't mind it, though I think it could be better... like a modern k1000.
Not buying it though since I already have a k-5.
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The questions are too smart-alecky for me to bother taking this poll.

Anyway, people will need to see some full 360 views of the camera, and it's size in the hand, ergonomics etc, in order to properly judge it's design.
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I like the idea of a poll but I find the choices to be a little on the far fetched side

Having said that, I don't care for the look myself, though I wouldn't go as far as calling it fugly.
Sounds like you're choice #3
I tried to give a positive, neutral, negative choice, though there are two positive choices to show that it's a tongue in cheek poll so hopefully people will see the humor in it

I think the looks part of the design is going to be very polarizing. I.e., you'll love the quasi-retro look (note that this is the only thing the poll covers...doesn't cover the design at all nor whether an EVIL/MILC is a good idea) or think it's some sort of frankenstein abomination. Let's see what the rest of the world thinks about it tomorrow...if nothing else, people will talk about it...
02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think it looks awesome, but I doubt I'll actually buy one (although maybe this is the camera my wife has been waiting for??).

02-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Since it's in the poll, I'll say it: It's fugly.

With that said, as long as it works, I don't care if it's ugly. If my k-7 died tomorrow, I'd give it consideration as a back-up to my k-5 based on what it can do. If my k-7 makes it through the night though, I won't stress about things
02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... I just can't call it ugly. What I find ugly and frankly unnecessary is the Nikon V1. It contains some neat tech, but it looks like a P&S-style prototype body containing that tech, is a middling offering in general, and seems very hard to use as a photographic tool. Every time I push the cart past the V1 display in Target I stop to handle one, and leave even less enamored of it each time. It's almost an expensive fail, IMO, it's saving graces being the VF and the new AF system.

This is much like a NEX 5N that will autofocus K-mount lenses. It may yet have an external VF available, perhaps a good one. It's CDAF may be very good. It looks better than the NEX bodies, has the excellent K-5 sensor, will probably cost less than the K-5, and autofocuses K-mount lenses.

I'd love to see a wide-angle prime for this, I'm hoping it has a good VF on the way, I'm hoping the price is right and I'm hoping the AF isn't terrible. I guess you could say I have some hope, which isn't something the 'Q' brought me.

(and let's not overlook the fact that this is a 'yes' vote for K-mount from Ricoh.)
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That bump has an external flash shoe and it sure does look removeable, just like an LX finder.
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope its someone's fevered imagination of what a K-01 looks like rather than the real thing.
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

Hard an unbiased list of options there
02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Every time I push the cart past the V1 display in Target I stop to handle one, and leave even less enamored of it each time. It's almost an expensive fail, IMO, it's saving graces being the VF and the new AF system.
Their V1 seems aimed at 4/3rds EVIL cameras, but feels/looks pretty plasticky and like most of the EVIL bodies, feels totally out of proportion when you slap a lens, even the kit lens on it. It looks like a typical smallish P&S body w/o the lens though (i.e., mostly sleek and a thin slab). No odd potrusions, etc. like the K-01 (someone commented it looks like a scuba breathing tube in a comment on that mirrorless web site )

The V1 has Ashton Kutcher on it's side...it'll never fail <--- that's sarcasm

The K-01's leaked pics look read enough, especially this one:

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean282 Quote
Like I said, two positives (I love the looks, I love the colors), one neutral (I don't care about the looks and want to see the functionality), and one negative (I can't stand the looks and I'll never buy it).
If they were all negative responses, the choices would be biased...
02-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean282 Quote
I would have went with:

1) Awesome! Sign me up for a canary yellow one!

2) It's better than generic industrial design.

3) I'm boomer, give me 70s nostalgia!

4) If god had intended anything beyond camera-obsura we'd be born with film in our heads!