Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Yes you could if you had a K-01 also!
Dear friend, I see video and can compare the work of AF in LV.

02-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Yes you could if you had a K-01 also!
+1
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Dear friend, I see video and can compare the work of AF in LV.
No. Just plain, no you can't. The video that is out there leaves a LOT to be desired on that score and you really can't tell until you do a side-by-side. The ones that were done with the K-x and K-r for instance answered the question that MANY here had debated on points like yours - I saw this or that - but when the side-by-side was done under identical conditions at the same time the results were different than what many here had been asserting. Solid data is what we need and so far we have ZERO on the function and output of the K-01.
02-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found much of the Camera Enthusiast article SLAMMING the K-01 to be complete BS, however the section on lenses seems to be fairly thought provoking IMHO:

"You can't mount any lens you want on it
One of the reasons micro-4/3 took off was due to the availability of adapters allowing you to mount practically any lens ever built on the cameras, which was possible because of the shorter registration distance of the new mount. I remember reading thread after thread on forums where photos taken with the Panasonic G1 were being posted and not a single one had been taken with a micro-4/3 lens. The Sony NEX system has proven equally popular with lens adapting photographers. So what about the K-01? Well, because it has a native K-mount it means you can mount all the legacy Pentax glass on it. Who might this appeal to? Pentax photographers, who are small in number. Who does the micro-4/3 or NEX mount appeal to? Photographers with lenses of any brand or mount. You see how Pentax is making it difficult for itself to sell many of these?

Now let me bring up an issue that we'll have to wait for proper tests to know for sure if it really is an issue: Autofocus with legacy lenses. And by "legacy lens" I mean any Pentax mount lens designed for their DSLRs. So what's the issue I'm worried about? The K-01 uses contrast-detect AF (CDAF), which works differently than the phase-detect AF (PDAF) used in DSLRs; a whole article can be devoted to how they differ, but suffice it to know right now that lenses designed for CDAF are different in some ways than those designed for PDAF. For example, they have focus groups (of glass) that tend to be lighter and require a shorter travel distance in order to focus. PDAF systems know which way they need to turn the focusing gears (forwards or backwards) in order to acquire focus but CDAF don't, which is why the lenses zip forward and/or backward for a moment before finally deciding in which direction to focus. 4/3 users have found their lenses focusing much slower (or not at all) when used (via Panolympus adapter) on micro-4/3 bodies; will the same happen on the K-01?"