Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #46
Zou

-How would you rate the look overall?
4 out of 5. I'd prefer more choice of colours (blue please!) and a one-tone option instead of default two-tone. But I like the chunkiness and proportions. It's grown on me over the last five hours.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
Looks a bit silly to me. The Ltd wasn't that much bigger, but for cost purposes I think they have done a great job. Apparently only 50 extra for the lens kit over body only.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Very tempted to go body only to supplement/replace my K100D. I'd like to know the lens roadmap (both regular K and XS) but that won't be a clincher. If I can get a good deal with the XS lens I might just plump for that over the body only.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
Looks are very important. Of course functionality/ergonomics come first but if two equally good cameras in those respects are available at the same price the aesthetics will always be the selling point.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
Poorly. There may be a few gadget geeks who love its 'non-camera' styling but they won't be buying into the brand. It seems already that Pentax has attracted widespread derision from measurbators at DPR etc for not looking the way their boring black boxes do. Good riddance to them, but it is a fine line that Pentax treads, as anything different needs to still be attractive enough to the mainstream to survive.

02-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find the design just fine, in a funky sort of way. Until I hold one there is no way that I can rate the ergonomics of it.
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

4 out of 5. I don't mind the chunky look at all.

I think the Ltd would look better on the camera. The 40 does give a sort of bloated P&S look to the camera, which might just attract some people.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
I'm tempted to buy one for my wife who is now using my MZ-S, but getting frustrated with decreasing options to develop the film she shoots.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
Frankly, if a camera is gorgeous or lovely matters not a whit to me. I used an SF-1 and delighted in the fact that the external flash could be balanced on camera in one hand. I don't think the SF-1 was particularly attractive. Can anyone say "brick"?

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
I don't think people who have never heard of Pentax will react just fine. The camera has picture quality unheard of in the compact market, but the camera will fit into a purse easily. Just because I am a 71 year old male photo geek doesn't mean that my opinion about the looks of the camera matter. The fair sex has different ideas about what is beautiful.
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #49
wll
Veteran Member

Looks Nice and Clean, But

I'll give it a 3.5 to a 4. I don't like the fact that it is not available in a all black version. I also don't care for the height of the program dial, I feel it is to high and would have looked better on the camera about 1/3 the height.

Also the rear dial have no logo or markings on to, but I can understand the minimalist look.

The last thing is the monitor does not have the Pentax logo at the bottom, people like logos, very important. As a manufacturer myself I can't begin to tell you how many folks request or logo for shirts, hats, or ?, People like cool looking logos on there stuff.

I would recommend Pentax design a cool avatar, using the Pentax colors making it immediately identifiable.

Yes, the 40MM is tiny and fits very well I think

In the near future.

Features are the important factor. I wish it would have had an articulating screen, that is a very big deal for me and it makes difficult angle shots much easier to compose.

I think the general public will like it. I think a lot depends on video quality, ease of use and of course for the younger crowd, cool looks.

wll

02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #50

I was struggling between 3 and 4 and finally chose 3. On the bright side: the design is surely distinct and fresh. But it is a "connoisseur" type of design: there will be too many who will find it either ugly, or toyish. Overall I think that Pentax has created another niche product (as is the Q line). You can brew a banana flavoured beer with distinct and fresh taste, but how many would really drink it?
The major idea behind mirrorless cameras was the size. Consumers wanted SLR quality in a less bulky body. K-01 lacks this key advantage of mirrorless category. I think the marketing platform behind Canon G1 X is stronger: it will attract many current P&S users seeking for better quality and a bunch of DSLR owners of different systems (not only Canon) who would like to have an all-around backup camera that would not require to collect another set of lenses.
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #51

Looks are very important to most people. I'm surprised so many people gave this a 4/5.. I don't see this camera appealing to anyone other than a few Pentaxians and some crazy Japs who like toy looking stuff.
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #52

Photos: Gallery
How would you rate the look overall? I really like it's retro look (especially the black and silver model). Yes, it's boxy and looks like a toy, however, this is intentional and targeted - the design communicates "fun" to appeal to a younger demographic. This isn't an enthusiast's camera (I think a lot of folks on the forum are being unnecessarily harsh) however it is designed to fit neatly into an enthusiast's workflow for those times they want to simplify and just have some fun. the function knob looks a little big to me, but until I actually hold one, it's hard to knock it for that.

Does the 40mm fit the camera well? Yes, it fits quite well. I understand the need to create lenses especially for this system that are lower cost, easy to use and appeal to this camera's target demo.

Are you planning on buying one... Perhaps, but since I have a K-5, it wouldn't be a priority. I would consider buying one to support the brand, or if I came to need/want a second body.

In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features?
It is very important, but mostly in a form follows function kind of way. I have no trouble owning a quirky looking camera if it does what I need it to do.

How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
People are aspirational. They hope the things they buy say something about their personality. They buy the things that look cool and fashionable, and perform the task they are designed for (like Apple products), so I do believe that there is a market for this camera. It's fun, retro but modern, kinda cool and kinda cute all at the same time, but it is definitely a camera. It will appeal to those budding photographers out there that want to put down their iPhones and pick up something more feature-rich. Do they care that you can use Pentax lenses from 40 years ago? Not really, but in time if their interest takes them down that road, then this camera can travel with them. it's design is very eye catching, so I think it will grab their attention in the stores or online.
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #53
Lens Buying Addict

I actually have warmed to the syling substantially since seeing the ghi-res images. Especially the yellow. It isn't a dSLR - something different. The one that looks most like a SLR (Silver/Black) is my second choice. Black is pretty horrible.

02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I like it, but I also think it is rather conservative on the design side. When you hire a designer then he should have more room to be creative.
I agree, and I was surprised how much like a traditional DSLR it was designed. But maybe this is for being able to apply this design on DSLR too, but with OVF.

At first I did not like the design at all, but I start to like it after a few hour getting used to it.
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #55
Pentaxian

The design is growing on me, especially with mockups of the DA and FA Limiteds! I haven't voted - I will when I get the thing in my greedy paws. I will say this, after seeing all the comparisons to the K-5, I am reminded of how functionally beautiful the K-5 really is. I think that I'm just missing mine right now - getting the lens release but fixed - but kudos to the K-5 design team - it's a modern classic!
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #56
Site Supporter

I gave it a 2. It doesn't sing to me at all. A red Kx would be cuter.

Yes, but why make one which doesn't fit any other body? What exactly is the new 40 bringing to the party?

No. So far it is not replacing the Kx. I like having a small backup to my main DSLR, but no optical VF on that size body gives me big doubts. Lop off the prism bulge and get it down to the size of a NEX, and there is more compensation for the loss of the actual prism.

unimportant. Features and performance are paramount.

Quizzically
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #57

How would you rate the look overall?
I am not impressed by the styling - it looks like a toy.

Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
It just adds to the silly toy look of the camera plus Who cares? It won't fit on anything else in the pentax family - interchangeable lenses is the whole reason i went the road less traveled and am a Pentaxian

Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Based on the official announcement - NO. My initial reaction was "NO! Who would buy this without a EVF? I will just upgrade to the k-5." After a little reading elsewhere and in the forums I am more curious. The cost of the K-01 is substantially less than the k-5 with very similar results (supposedly, we'll see...). If there is going to be a hotshoe EVF I would be much more interested. I will wait and see what the price fallout is as well.

In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
Unimportant - it is all about the features. It has to work well.

How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
Sort of like we have - confused as to why you would pick this over the other available options.
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I gave it a 4 - a new design will always have detractors but some thing s eventually grow on you. The design hints at the older boxy Pentax film cameras but incorporates modern buttons and the rounded corners and beefy grip are a welcome feature in my opinion.

It accomplishes the goal of keeping the overall thickness down, but I am not sure the poker chip look is that aesthetically pleasing.

Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?

I would definitely consider it as a backup for my K-5, it would depend on how quick and reliable the AF system turns out. If I can rely on the AF then the viewfinder wouldn't be an issue. I plan to use this for street and just need fast AF and ability to frame the shot.

Somewhat important. The look dictates the usability when it comes to cameras: ability to hold it confidently access to controls, etc.

On looks alone they will be turned off as it is too big for a point and shoot - if they have never heard of Pentax then they are new camera users looking for something small simple and easy to use.
Anyone who is doing their homework will see the benefits and why the camera looks like it does.
02-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
Veteran Member

2. I think the overall shape has much potential but the design looks unfinished. It's like a final production made from an initial draft. The vertial lines on the rubber grip is so 70's. The dual tone is so unmatched. Where is the thumb rest btw?

It makes the camera looked uglier. It is one ugly lens with such dated appearance yet not retro. I would prefer the original DA40 anytime. Still, a match 21mm will be much much much more useful.

Quite unlikely since it doesn't replace my K-m which has a VF, although the price is alright.

In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?

Somewhat important but if the camera performs, I can live with butt ugly gears.

I think it is such different design the general public might be interested, especially in Japan. The problem is the lack of public exposure and the lack of proper lenses to go with it. Afterall, it won't have any size advantage over dslrs that other mirrorless enjoy after any useful zoom attached to it.
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #60

I love the look of it, rated it a 5. It's different, in a good way. Also for some perverse reason I really want the yellow.

The price is good and I'd love to get one but the lack of VF is the main thing that kills it for me. I already have one compact VF-less camera (Panasonic GF2), which I love but would not buy again.

I really like that it has a larger sensor as well...