Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #76

Photos: Albums
meh

that is all

02-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Response: [EDIT]: February 11 after a few days.

-How would you rate the look overall?
K-r in a box.

Interesting and different; not derivative but certainly referencing historical Pentax cameras. The various and clashing type faces try to refer to 80's bodies but the 01 from the new lenses font flogs the metaphor. I see SuperProgram in the flash bump, many classic silver bodies in the mount protrusion and suggestions of classic SLR's in the top dials. The package is meant to visually evoke cameras life-long Pentax users have held in their pasts, yet be modern. The red/green button colors are jewel-like (but that isn't really modern, more 2001) better color images now cause me to see the hues of those buttons as uncharacteristically glaring and annoying. They just don't fit. and the ribbed rubber casing suggests Takumar focus rings. The curved edges are new radii (maybe ME-F). Not traditional and I imagine fully Newson, like the button colors. I like them. Well executed.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
I think not as well as the Photoshops of the 40 Ltd. suggest it will.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement? Yes, before June 1st, primarily as a video device and then a travel camera with small lenses or DA55-300 only, then as a pure backup body. I'll probably carry this in my briefcase with my XA. I'll certainly play with manual lenses. Yellow.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Depending upon the use of the camera (or for that matter a dishwasher or a car) the feature set is the first cut - the most important, then the price/value, then the design. There is certainly a balance of the three, but the balance isn't constant across all purchases. In this case the design has a higher weight than usually The colored dSLR's were completely neutral. The comparatively low price allows the design to have a positive effect on the decision. All other things equivalent, design helps. In this case the design increases the likelihood I will buy one.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
Probably not too well. It will be viewed as interesting on the way to the Sony or Oly.
I think the yellow will attract a first look. The black/white is interesting. The question will be does P/R want it to be a hipster glam item or something more lasting? Will this be a lasting, brand-identity design theme or a one-off? I'd bet it doesn't last as a theme but it will be fun for a few quarters. Unfortunately I don't believe people who have never heard of Pentax will suddenly appreciate the Pentax benefits - i.e. ergonomics, backward compatibility, IQ. Buzz is buzz - it has to catch on somehow, and that requires marketing support or ongoing version introductions (NEX iterations, for example).

Presumably K-02 will be a more thoughtful design.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-11-2012 at 10:20 AM.
02-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reactions by non-Pentaxians will be similar to those of Luke and Leah to the Millennium Falcon:

Canikon shooter: "What a piece of junk!"
M43rds shooter: "You use that thing? You're braver than I thought."
Pentaxian: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts!"
02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #79

It looks like a Hummer.

It's very thin, doesn't balance w/the body.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
I place image qulity and solid construction high on my list. That's why I went for a K10 when they first came out. If the images produced from this camera are on par with the K-5, I would definitely look seriously at it. I would be nice, though, if it had a EVF option like my Olympus XZ-1.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?

Look is the sizzle that sells the steak. This, unfortunately is not a steak.... it's more of a pot roast. But it's a pot roast that can potentially take pictures like a K-5... In other words, to me looks aren't as important as the end result... ; )

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?

I have no idea as most sheeple buy what the crowd buys or what to what advertising drives them. People who read and research will probably be interested in this for value and image quality; that's how I found Pentax after using NIkon exclusively before.... I never heard of Pentax before the K10.

02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More seriously...

1. 2/5, it could be worse, but not by much. First and foremost the design has too much negative space, which emphasizes its "boxy-ness". The button layout is ergonomically far worse than K7/5. I like the new red button, but the layout with the green button so far away makes it look like that robot yelling "Danger Will Robinson!". Oh, and drop the oil spout/chimney - it's not doing the camera any favors. All-in-all I hope Pentax designs their next camera internally - they'd do a much better job.

2. The new DA 40 on the K-01 reminds me of a pig snout.

3. Maybe, the internals sure look nice, but I'm going to wait till the end of Photokina to see what's coming down the pipe.

4. Somewhat important for me, very important to the masses. Style was the major factor that let the iPod take Apple to new heights, there were many better mp3 players around at the time...

5. See my previous post.
02-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #81
Veteran Member

4.5 - I like that it looks a little different than what's out there.

I think it fits the idea that the designer had for it. I am sure Pentax wants to make it look as portable as possible as well. I'll stick with my 43 though.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
If the image quality and performance live up to specs, I would buy it to complement my K-5.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
For me, somewhat important. The "looks" have an impact on how anyone views a product. A camera is for taking photos, but people will naturally care about how they will look and be perceived by using it. I like things that aren't mainstream so it works for me but I care more about function.

I think so many people are driven to fit in by purchasing things that will match what others have (ie the "Apple" effect.) '60's retro camera design is "in" right now. The K-01 is more '80's retro-ish. I was born in the '70's so that works for me. Maybe i'll dig out my walkman and hair-metal cassettes and take this camera out for some street shooting!
02-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

It seriously would have been much better with an ALL BLACK version. That means take the black pieces from the "white" one and the black parts from the "black" one and put them into one camera. It's simple really.

Yes, I personally think he did a good job with the 40mm redesign.

No planning, but it has enough positive things going for it to be considered. Primarily the video aspects.

I think it goes ergonomics, features, and looks in that order. However, sometimes looks can be important enough to move something from final decision to order or not. I'm alright with color if it is done properly (K-5 silver was done properly). I don't personally feel they did a proper job on painting the three camera options. They look awkward and unprofessional.

"That's odd looking...why is the small bump on the top of it silver?"
Or actually more like "Is that a DSLR?"

02-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #83
Veteran Member

The design is really cool. I like it and will probably buy one around christmas. I prefer the yellow colour. Hope it comes in more colours soon.
02-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #84

How would you rate the look overall?
No would go for the old version
Tempted between this one and the new olympus.
Minnor. functionality is most important
laugh
02-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #85

I was a bit shocked, but I'm starting to warm up to it. However, it looks a bit toy-like and plastic looking (that may change seen in person). And however this guy's name on the bottom of the camera is just plain stupid and detracts from the value.

No, it adds to the toy-like look.

The jury is still out on that.
Lack of weather sealing and (especially) no viewfinder makes it unlikely.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the 40mm lens on the camera. But when mounting larger lenses, it likely will be more awkward to handle the whole thing without a viewfinder. Sure, you can crank up the ISO to use faster shutter speeds, but as good as sensors are, it still will introduce unwanted noise.
The positive side of the design is that it doesn't look like a serious camera, which may help put camera-shy subjects at ease. But I don't shoot a lot of people, so this doesn't help me.
If it had an articulating LCD, I would give it more serious consideration. Fully articulating, not partially as with the Nikon P7100.
And, of course, until it's available to the masses, we won't know how it feels in the hand, which is always a major deciding factor.
For me, I'm in the market for a new camera, but not rushing into anything. I've got a Nikon D300 which suits me fine. And a slew of Pentax film cameras and lenses. I shot with the *istDS for several years before it let me down at several important functions and I switched to Nikon. I also bought a used K10D which had focus issues and further put me off Pentax digital. At this point, I'm seriously considering the K-5, the Nikon D400 (tho the weight issue makes it unlikely), the Fuji X-Pro1 the Ricoh GXR (hoping they announce a new body soon).

Not too important. A camera is a tool, not a fashion statement. Pentax always realized this with their film cameras (aside from the MZ-S, perhaps), but now it seems they've been lured over to the dark side. Of course, a nice-looking camera is topping on the cake, but functionality should ALWAYS come first. I fail to see the functionality in no viewfinder and the smooth clean design.

In general, I suspect most advanced photographers won't like it much. But I think casual hobbyists and those new to photography will like it just fine.
02-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #86
Forum Member

I really couldn't imagine the camera looking any more ridiculous than it does. And because of that I'm sure there are at least some eccentric people out there who'll like it, so I would give it a honest 2.

It's difficult to rate the lens design though. I just can't see where's the design because it's just 2 plastic rings with glass in the middle. Which doesn't mean I don't like it. I do and probably will get one if it has backward compatibility.

Last edited by Jüri; 02-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #87
Veteran Member

I don't like the style of this camera in particular.... the controls/knobs look too primitive (for beginners); may be a new style, that's about it. Does not make me want to get one. Hope they can evolve this mirrorless line to a more refine design over time (just like the k-5, best design IMHO).
02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
More seriously...

1. 2/5, it could be worse, but not by much. First and foremost the design has too much negative space, which emphasizes its "boxy-ness". The button layout is ergonomically far worse than K7/5. I like the new red button, but the layout with the green button so far away makes it look like that robot yelling "Danger Will Robinson!". Oh, and drop the oil spout/chimney - it's not doing the camera any favors. All-in-all I hope Pentax designs their next camera internally - they'd do a much better job.

2. The new DA 40 on the K-01 reminds me of a pig snout.

3. Maybe, the internals sure look nice, but I'm going to wait till the end of Photokina to see what's coming down the pipe.

4. Somewhat important for me, very important to the masses. Style was the major factor that let the iPod take Apple to new heights, there were many better mp3 players around at the time...

5. See my previous post.
It sounds like two that won't be sold in ABQ.
02-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #89

Photos: Gallery
It's apparent to me that he went for a retro design. Kinda cool in that regard, but not necessarily my style. Still, if it takes great photos I'll consider buying one.

The lack of EVF isn't that big a deal. Looking through a tiny peephole is such an archaic way of taking photos. True that under bright conditions a VF has an advantage, but as long as the LCD is transflective or employs similar technology so that it's usable in bright sunlight, then removing the EVF isn't a problem. It all boils down to how well they implement the LCD, whether it's fast, low latency, and can operate under all lighting conditions.

I voted 3/5 based on ID alone. It's likely I would bump it up to 4 or 5 if it performs well.
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #90
Forum Member

I gave it a 2 because I really prefer a classic look.....
Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
Yes it does
I may buy one because I have a K200D and I feel i need more potential
Somewhat important...If you are a professional photographer and people see you coming with this, they may not take you very seriously.
They might not like the look but they will be impressed by its potential and attributes!