Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This thread is mainly about personal taste and that's fine.

I believe, however, that good design goes beyond personal taste and that the K-01 fails to meet established principles of good design.
We came...we saw...we disregarded.

02-12-2012, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #122
Veteran Member

My responses

QuoteQuote:
-How would you rate the look overall?
-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
  1. After some hesitation, I gave it a 5. That doesn't mean it's perfect, it means it's easily in the top 20% of industrial designs. I think it is already making the cameras from other brands look old hat.
  2. I think the 40mm is OK, but I suspect that the real reason for creating it is to offset the expected criticism of the size of the K-01.
  3. I'm seriously considering replacing my K20D with this, but I'll wait for the reviews and will of course need to test it in person.
  4. Looks are undoubtedly important. I know a lot of people who are very interested in new cameras, but none of these people would consider a GXR because of its looks.
  5. I think it will attract people who don't have too many pre-conceived ideas about what a camera should look like. In other words, this is precisely the market that Pentax should chase: new blood.
02-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe this has been posted already, but here is some video and hands-on review of K-01

Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera doesn't feel as cheap as it looks, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget
02-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #124

QuoteQuote:
1. How would you rate the look overall?
2. Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
3. Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
4. In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
5. How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
1. 4 out of 5.
2. Yes.
3. Probably, unless Pentax announces a DSLR with comparable features and price soon.
4. Important.
5. Unique and very professional-looking.

02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #125

I gave it a 2. It's like some child drew a picture of a camera.

No. It looks like a cap with a hole. Reminds me of the mops (pug) dog.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
No. It's pretty ugly (since that's what you are asking in the first place), does not have weather sealing, and nobody mentions EVF. I really like to press the camera to my face. Price is too close to K-5 (900$ vs. 750$).

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
It's not unimportant, but I chose Canon A70 (another ugly camera) over lean and mean Nikon of the time due to performance only.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
With contempt and ridicule.
------------------------------------
Edit: I asked people who are not photographers (everyone heard of Pentax), what do they think about K-01, and got answers: "looks expensive" and "meh". So, it's not contempt and ridicule. I am sorry for letting my feelings get into the way of clear thinking.

Last edited by Branimir; 02-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
02-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #126

Did the world need another Argus ?

I would rather take great looking photo's than look great taking photo's. Pentax should give the people what they are asking for and not waste effort.time and resources trying to keep up with the " Jone's ".
02-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #127

looks like it was designed by Fisher Price My First Camera (especially in yellow)
I like it!
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #128

The question was specifically about "Marc Newson's Design", not just "the design". So difficult to blame or credit him without knowing the details of his brief.

i.e. Was it his decision not to include a viewfinder or was than an engineering/cost constraint imposed by Pentax?

However, his self proclaimed form over function philosophy is totally inappropriate for a camera wanting to be taken seriously. Aesthetic appeal is a key selling point (I paid an extra premium for a silver K-5), but a camera is a user interface. Ergonomics and usability are more important.

I like the clean minimalist styling, and could possibly get used to the deliberately boxy shape, but I will not buy a camera that has not been designed around the needs of the photographer. In the interview with Marc he quite arrogantly dismissed the value of user input/consideration. That would only compromise HIS design. So it will never be MY camera.

A decent grip and well positioned buttons and dials is good design. Crafting an otherwise capable camera into a fashion accessory with deliberate disregard for it's intended purpose is misguided.

I think it is interesting that Pentax/Ricoh themselves refer to this camera as the Marc Newson designed K-01... perhaps distancing themselves from a camera design they don't really agree with but were talked into?

EDIT: Marc has injected some fresh ideas and design principles. That I can appreciate. Now handover to the camera designers to make the K-02 a seriously usable and desirable camera. I will buy that one.

Last edited by Kennod; 02-20-2012 at 02:10 AM.
02-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #129
Forum Member

I'm still scratching my head a month later. I just bought a K-5, which I love. I'm going to NYC end of March, and I'll visit B&H. I tentatively plan to buy one, but really I'll pick it up in my hand and that will decide one way or the other. I'll probably buy white. I think the aesthetic is great, and it will be a hipster hit (which does not mean it will be commercially successful.) You can only design cameras until they're so small, and metal, and minimalist, until you swing back the other way. The video performance had better be good. The 40mm is cool on the camera, but would not match my K-5, so I'll skip it. I love the tall dials, it reminds me of my Nikon F2. The flash bulge is a nice retro nod, if utterly nonfunctional. I think shooting off the lcd is sometimes helpful- like shooting of ground glass or a waist-level finder.
02-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #130

4/5

Yes, very well - one of the more attractive things about the design

Yes. I have one on pre-order. Its features look to be perfect for what I need in a digital camera.

Ultimately, unimportant. I've got a cabinet full of vintage film cameras, all of which see use, and some of which are the most god-awful ugly contraptions ever made. However, a cool-looking camera with great features is certainly a desirable thing.

I think to find someone who hasn't heard of Pentax, I'd need to go well outside of my circle of acquaintances into talking to people who haven't had much contact with the outside world. While Pentax isn't as huge as Nikon and Canon, it's still a well-known brand that has been around for decades. That said, the general buzz I'm seeing is positive.
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #131
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I undestand the limitation the flange distance has imposed on the design. I do believe in addition to being able to mount all K lenses, the size also allows a better balance with longer lenses. I immediately found that out this week as I picked up an Olympus EPL1 to try out. I would mostly use the kit lens on this, plus one of their pancake primes to make it close to point and shoot size, will be my wide/normal in combination with my K5 or KX attached to 40mm or 70mm.

I may consider the K01 in the future. In my wishlist is a Leica-M clone with an full frame sensor on a micro 4/3 mount which will allow K lenses through an an adapter. The adapter should be part of the initial design. Camera will have option to do full frame, APSC or micro 4 3. This is a win-win for Pentax, allows current micro 4 3 users the ability to mount Pentax limiteds. Sweet.
02-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #132
Forum Member

3/5 for the pure black color scheme.
Initially I wanted to give a 2 but looking at it several times I find it somewhat okay.

It fits the camera which doesn't mean it's too beautiful. I would prefer the existing 40mm Limited. I don't understand why one should need a new 40mm just matching the excentric design of the K-01. IMO A camera should be designed to fit most available lenses.

No.
I'm waiting for a K-5 successor.

From a fashion perspective totally unimportant. But the look of a camera should not represent fashion values. Pentax stated serveral times that they want to be different, that they want to be for cameras what Apple is for computers. But differences alone is not a selling argument. Form IS function, the form should serve the tool hence design is very important. When a potential buyer sees a camera it should get an idea how it feels like in hands, how it feels to operate the camera. When seeing the K-01 I don't have a good feeling. This "chimney" disturbs the eye - same for the color contrast. The pure black color scheme is the best. Furthermore it looks clumsy.

For instance the K-7/K-5 body has am incredible design - Please Pentax get those designers back. Btw. I don't even know who designed the K-7 body. A good product doesn't need to advertise using the name of the designer. A good product advertises itself. Whenever a product is advertised with "Designed by..." I get the feeling either the manufacturer tries to play away some discrepancies or tries to sell it as a fashion statement with a higher margin.

-How do you think people who've never heared of Pentax would react to this camera?

I think most of them will think it's ugly.
Overall I think it's a product designed for the Q market segment (fashion statement + interchangeable lenses) but for those consumers it may be too expensive.
04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #133

It's a character!!!

What I don't like:
The RED button should have an option to have no functionality as well as video record while only in video mode. I accidentally hit the red button while in just about any other mode but video and it starts recording, this is extremely annoying.
Beyond that software change I think there should have been one hardware change which would be to push the green button, the +/- button and the red button over the back edge of camera so that they sit on either side of the scroll wheel. where they could be more easily accessed there by your thumb, its just too hard to move your thumb or fingers to the top plate of the camera to activate / deactivate those buttons.
The contrast detect autofocus is pretty inaccurate as well and not quick by any means.

What I like:
The camera has a well defined character that keeps me engaged, wanting to touch it and use it as much as i can.
For a product to have that kind of pull from the owner is a real testament to the design work of Marc, its a real joy to use.
04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Decoi Quote
What I like: The camera has a well defined character that keeps me engaged, wanting to touch it and use it as much as i can. For a product to have that kind of pull from the owner is a real testament to the design work of Marc, its a real joy to use
Best statement of my reaction to the camera I've read yet. TYVM.

I have a ton of MF lenses I want to try with the K-01 but the 40 feels so right that I just keep using it.
04-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I give it a 4/5 on overall looks. Maybe 4.5. The white looks great with the black DA Limiteds.

The DA40XS fits it well, as do all the DA Limited lenses.

Yep, bought the white kit, but sold the 40XS since I have the DA40 Ltd. The 40XS is a very nice lens, and a real bargain for a kit lens.

I'd say the look is fairly important to me, but not sure it trumps features.

Most comments from non-photo geeks have been positive. It certainly gets noticed. My wife initially said it was ugly, but I think now she likes it. As I've gotten more used to it, I find I like the look more and more.

And I know you didn't ask, but I find the ergonomics fine, even button placement and such.