Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #61
Veteran Member

How would you rate the look overall?
Fresh and interesting. However, it seems design was a priority over ergonomics: for example, where is the thumb rest on the back? Also, it would do better without that mode dial "chimney". Next, silver dials on a silver top plate (with everything else in black) would look better than current black dials on a silver top plate. (Fortunately it will be easy to make one like that.) Finally, the name is a bad choice: we will eventually have K-01 and K-1, or evolutionary paths may cross at K-03 and K-3. Go figure.

Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
Not so good: looks cheap, and we all know that optically DA 40 is one of the best performing lenses available.

Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Not at this point, already have all I need.

In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features?
Very important.

How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
Very hard to predict. For sure, some will laugh at it while some will pick it up for it's design only. The ratio between the two groups may in fact determine it's fate.

02-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
-How would you rate the look overall?

I gave it a 4/5. I like it.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
Nope, never liked the 40 on any camera, looked silly to me. But many like it.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?

No. I serioulsy don't think the K-5 is that much larger, but the K-01 is cheaper but the K-5 is rapidly approaching the $US750 mark and if the price difference is less than $200 I would rather get the K-5.

But, I like the overall product for two reasons.

One, as it is, I can certainly see it's appeal to many (doesn't have to be for all). Superb sensor for this kind of pricing is attractive. Great video options. Size wise it's ok!, yeah! it's not as small as other mirrorless, bt it offers other advantages. many other reasons why many would buy this.

The second reason is what excites me. The k-mount gives me great hope for the future. The next generations can add features without increasing the size, and with gradual addition of features can control price per unit. The next one will have EVF, and the AF if not up to par already will certainly get there by then. Even this would not entirely make me go out and buy it, but if I need an exra camera, might get this.

Now, wth this sized body with all the R&D done with EVF and great AF, all Pentax has to do is to put a FF sensor in there without increasing the size (no R&D money spent on developing lenses for a new mount) and be the first in the market with the smallest FF with AF and price it well. This if priced around $2,000-2500, I'll but the same day it is announced.

So, No I am not buying it but excited for future possibilities.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?

Somewhat. If it extremely ugly I probably wouldn't get it unless it's really super special in other ways, otherwise it doesn't matter much. But, if it is as gorgeous as the X100 then it would be preferrable, but fetaures and functionality matters more.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this
camera?

Many would not be bothered by it, but a significant percentage will like it. Pentax will make a tidy profit.

The poll will open once at 7am EST on 2/2.

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-02-2012 at 03:24 PM.
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #63
Forum Member

Right now I rate it a 3,5. After the very short initial shock, this design is starting to grow on me. I am a designer (graphic) and it bothers me some comments people make about design without having a single clue what design is about. Without knowing the multiple constraints a designer has to deal with to get to the final object. One thing I now for sure, one can not judge design of an object, just by looking at a picture of it. You have to see it for real and use it to make your judgement. I bet that in 1964 nobody looked at a Spotmatic and said "this a beautiful camera", but now we look at a Spotmatic and we know it is a beautiful piece of industrial design. Most people have a very stereotipe way of looking to things and the first reaction when they see something new and different is rejection.
Right now, the only aspect of the design of the camera that keeps me from rating it higher, is the "chimney" under the control wheel.

Yes it does...But I wish it had 1 or 2 centimeters more and be a 30mm lens.
-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Most likely yes, but not to replace my other "brick" (K20D), I can find use for both.
-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
The look of a camera, in the meaning that the look is the body, the controls, the buttons, the size, the shape, is a feature of the camera as important as the camera sensor or the ability to do video or anything else. To me, the only aspect of "the looks" of a camera that has no influence to usability, is color... but I'm not so sure about that anymore.
-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
I think that people that never heard, or care about Pentax cameras will definitely have a reaction to this camera. And I think that's a good thing for Pentax.
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #64
Veteran Member

design: 4. The bump should not have been there, it holds no vf. That is a double minus. But cheers for the fun yellow and chimney, like a little train, tsjoektsjoektsjoek here I go.

lens and fit: I hated the small size of the 40 ltd, its cap kept flying through the air and the lens always got lost somewhere in my pockets, but I do think it looks cool on the yellow cam. Sort of miss a nice lime coloured rim, though.

Buying: really depends on shutterlag and af performance speedwise and pointadaptability and useability with mf lenses., moveable magnification of focussing point on screen. No touch screen is a screaming misser, as is the fact that is does not tilt nor swivel ... sad. Why not?

Looks: how can it not be important!!! Part of the pleasure. Sorry, but it is. The one big mistake is the not belonging lumphump. I don't like false pockets either.

Pentax foreigners: no idea.

02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #65
Forum Member

Location: As I said before, I quit this forum due to people so rude to each other. Bye!
What's happening to weather seal?

I jump to Pentax K7 for the weather seal feature but it seems like the new K-01 does not offer this. I guess I'll wait for the next Pentax with weather seal or get the K5 when its price going down a little bit more along with the rebate. By the way, my first impression with this new design is K-01 looks like a brick, not a photography tool! Now with no weather seal feature, I could not see myself spend money on this expensive yellow brick.
02-02-2012, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Some of the design is clean and quite classy. It is reminiscent of the style of the former German company Braun. This is where the K-01 design rocks.

Unfortunately, it falls flat overall. How on earth could the goal to instil "quality" and "semi-professional" lead to a camera that looks that much like a toy? Way too much of a "my first SONY" appeal. The back looks good; I think what tips the balance over in the wrong direction are the snorkel (aka chimney) at the front, the bright coloured buttons, and a bit of the mount design (looks like a baby sling).

The hub makes the omission of a VF even more glaring than it already is. The snorkel design may appeal to the curiosity of customers in a shop but ultimately it is just pointless and visually unappealing. I like the visual appearance of the on-off knob, but the previous solution on Pentax DSLR appears to be more functional.

Worse are the ergonomic failures. The exposure compensation button is ill-placed; it cannot be comfortably operated in combination with the rear dial.

The four-button quick access arrangement should be placed more to the left. Probably wouldn't look as stylish but I bet it could be reached more naturally then.

Have a look at the backside comparison between K-5 and K-01. The K-5 shows where controls should be based on usability considerations, the K-01 is a style statement. As someone interested in tools as opposed to fashion, the K-5 appeals way more to me. Could it look a little less utilitarian? Yes, but style that compromises function is an absolute no no.

A camera of the size of the K-01 should have more controls (dials, buttons).

In summary, the K-01 design seems to aim at a place in a museum (in particular gimmicks like the snorkel design). I reckon that is where that design belongs right away because it won't work very well for delivering its true job, i.e., facilitate photography.

In a bad sense, yes. The new 40mm makes the camera look like a water fun toy. Press the green button and bubbles come out of the lens hole. Press the red button and water starts squirting out.

That lens is just a inexcusable abomination. Terrible. The K-01 with a classy lens (e.g., FA Ltd 77/1.8) looks OK from some angles. With the new 40mm it is just way too much of a toy appeal.

-Are you planning on buying one ...?

Definitely not.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features?

Very important.
As a photographer I'm sensitive to visual aesthetics.
Camera design should serve function first. A few tweaks and choices then can be made to create a sense of quality, understatement, class.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?

They will disregard Pentax as a company that need not be taken seriously. It pushes Pentax further into the "style over functions" corner they manoeuvred themselves into when they came out with colour options for the K-x instead of new technology.

What is the point of a DSLR without a viewfinder when you don't gain size advantages or new functionality (e.g., histogram overlays in the viewfinder, focus peaking in an eye-level viewfinder, etc.)?

P.S.: For those who do not know what I'm appealing to with "my first SONY". Have a look at these "my first SONY" walkie talkies:

Last edited by Class A; 02-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #67
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-How would you rate the look overall? I originally rated it a three, but the longer I look at it, the less I like it.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well? Coupled with the design, it screams "Toy Camera."

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement? No.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant? Given a choice between two cameras of equal specs, I'd take the one that was better looking. That said, I would find the safety yellow so annoying to look at I would never carry it.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera? Either fall in love or ROFL, depending on their tastes.

The K-01 is too big to be a small camera, not big enough(for me) to use with older large/heavy lenses, and I want either a built-in OVF or EVF OR an optional one (Oly VF-2).

02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I give it a 4/5. I likt to think of myself as being open minded -- hated the angular Cadillac at first, but now it's growing on me. . .The same will probably happen with this camera. . .

I don't much like the look of the camera/lens combo, but it illustrates what can be done to make this camera more easily carryable.

No- a lot will depend on feature details, but lack of OVF is a major negative for any camera for my style of shooting. Some other feature must have a decisive advantage for me to give up and OVF. A fully articulating LCD might have tipped the scales for me though, as it might make it more attractive as a macro and low angle people shooter. I know my preferences are nowhere near those of the major target market for this cam though. . .

I'd say somewhat important. If a camera has features that work for me, I can put up with ugly, but I won't put up with ridiculous. . .

If they truly look at and compare the features and versatility as a system, then they should be impressed. Easily the largest selection of AF lenses of any mirrorless system, and all (except for compact lenses designed for the K-01 alone) will be fully functional on a DSLR if that might be a future consideration. K-5 class leading low light sensor performance. APS-C format IQ. I see it as an attractive bridge between P&S and DSLR for the current P&S shooter, and an inexpensive, easy to pack backup with great high ISO performance for the Pentax DSLR shooter.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 02-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
02-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It Grows on You in a Good Way

The more I look at the K-01 the more it grows on me. Initially I didn't like the look of the grip as I like to have some more curve to wrap my fingers around the right side, but I broke out my ZX-M and it has a similar structure and my hand feels comfortable, so the K-01 is probably cool. I like the retro look but it could be seen as a little boring. I'd say the black body looks the best of the three. I think they should've had a fourth color - a slightly dark blue.

How would you rate the look overall? - four
-Does the 40mm fit the camera well? - sure. I bet it's sweet for not bumping the lens into obstacles unseen.
-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement? - no, but only because I just bought a used K-x. Honestly, if I was in the market I would give it a serious look.
-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? - Important
-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera? - I think this camera will appeal to the camera buyer who wants something different from what's on the store/web shelf. I think that buyer will appreciate the little bit of throwback in the design. Not everyone wants crazy designs and this looks like a camera is supposed to look.

Lets face it, with old school companies (i.e Kodak) dropping off the radar all the time, any new product from Pentax has to be a good. thing. I'm a big fan of the brand and I'm thrilled to see them fighting it out. I hope they sell a ton K-01's.
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I initially rated it as a 2, but can easily change it to a 3. It's polarizing, but by no means a hideous design. Still, compared to other cameras in the mirrorless market, in my opinion it's not as sleek. Words like "boxy" and "brick" come to mind when I first saw the photos. The design direction is modern, but completely opposite of what's trending, which is slim and sleek for most modern electronics (i.e. tablets, smartphones, notebooks, music players, etc.)

I like the design of the new 40mm lens, but the lens puts emphasis on the boxy nature of the camera. To me, it's contrasting and not in a good way. If the body were slimmer, then I think the 40mm would be a better fit, at least in appearance and shape. It would look more uniform in that regard.

No.

Looks are somewhat important, but features come first for me. This camera does not have a viewfinder or the manual controls that I'm accustomed to, so I have no interest.

Indifferent. Most people who have never heard of Pentax HAVE heard of Canon and Nikon. Although the K-01 has a modern design, it still for the most part looks like a traditional SLR. I feel most people will view it as such, just another big camera in a sea of them. My friends and family who are NOT camera enthusiasts always mention how nice the cameras are on their iPhones and how convenient it is to carry. If anything, the bulkiness of the K-01will deter people from switching if not encourage people to continue using their smartphones instead. As for enthusiasts, I feel there are better options from other companies currently available and upcoming.
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I gave it a 3, because in the colors it's actually available it's a toy-like 1....in this as yet non-existent color scheme, it could've easily been a 5:
Attached Images

02-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Being that I may end up putting my lenses on this thing, I'll want a better grip on the right side. My K-x has a better grip.
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I rate it 3... with a bullet, though, maybe on it's way to 4. It's grown on me more as I look at it more. The main thing I think about now is how it will feel in the hand... and I think it will feel chunky, solid and good, and the quirky, blocky look will fit with that satisfying feel.

It's a very nice body cap! (I think the DA 40, DA 21 or FA 43ltd would fit better.)

I'm considering it. I think my next DSLR will either be the D800 or the Pentax FF body, but this might be an economical way to get the excellent K-5 sensor for my Limiteds in the meantime.

It's important to me, but what's most important is avoiding the soul-deadening 'P&S' look. The NEX 5-N is a camera I want to love, but every time I touch one I shudder. The Nikon V1 is hideous and hard to use. This actually doesn't look so bad, and like I said, I'd bet it feels great in the hand.

"Never heard of Pentax" suggests total noob status, and among that crowd It may not be ground-breaking enough to garner much more than a collective 'meh'.

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.
02-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
I love the look of it, rated it a 5. It's different, in a good way. Also for some perverse reason I really want the yellow.

The price is good and I'd love to get one but the lack of VF is the main thing that kills it for me. I already have one compact VF-less camera (Panasonic GF2), which I love but would not buy again.

I really like that it has a larger sensor as well...
FWIW, I have the GF2 as well. Fun camera but his ISO is only ok. The K-01 may end up replacing it. I'm ok shooting with the rear LCD.
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave it a 4 for clean and functional but not particularly innovative or purposeful.

The original was already small enough but this one must be some kind of a record so I guess it will pull some press.

Not yet. The price is too high for what is on offer. I might consider it as a video or second body in the future if it was weatherproof.

Unimportant except in how it relates function.

I guess you mean non-photographers. Surely every photographer over the age of 30 would have heard of Pentax. If they know how good the sensor is I think it would have to get a positive reaction.

Surely the market for this camera will be those who complain that modern cameras are to small for their large hands, but don't want a high end SLR?