Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How would you rate Marc Newson's Design, 5 being the highest?
5 7513.11%
4 19033.22%
3 14325.00%
2 9115.91%
1 7312.76%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ranked it 4. My K-1000 is sitting on the shelf of my office and each time I sew it I thought that it would be a good body for mirrorless camera. When I saw the k-01, I realized that if you add vibrant color does not usually match with "rugged" body. The lens it totally useless. DA limited lenses will look great on it.

I believe that pentax has done a good job with the camera but needs substantial marketing effort to sell it well. To MHO, it is most comparable to NEX-5,7 but much better lens compatibility and performance.

02-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #92

Why did they not go with a digital Pentax K-1000? Why? It would have looked a million times better. Instead they paid a designer to make the camera "interesting", and the result is questionable at best. Unnecessarily bold, in my opinion, when they have such great designs to draw upon.

A K-1000 look, with an EVF, at a similar price point: Now that would have been fantastic.
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #93
hcc
Pentaxian

-How would you rate the look overall?
4/5. This is an interesting, neat design. The look is fresh and and clean. This is welcome change from most dSLR for newbies.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
Yes. This make a very small boxy camera. Very neat. I would like to read more about the optics and overall IQ, but my wife like it very much.

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement? Yes. I am after a second body that I would share with my wife. We would be able to share my lenses and this would be a great asset. My wife has a P&S but she does acknowledge the quality of my K-7 incl. the value of interchangeable lenses.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? The look is always important for a newbie like my wife. Less for myself and I would value the features.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?The yellow definitely .

My 5 cents...
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It sounds like two that won't be sold in ABQ.
Haha yessir...EVF, SR, and focus peeking were my 3 prereqs on specs...at least they got 2/3, here's hoping for a FF version with EVF.

More on topic, I can forgive bad style, but I can't really forgive the bad ergo... I hope at least the button layout changes with K-02.

02-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
-How would you rate the look overall?
I question the placement of the trigger. People hold small P&S with their thumbs on the bottom and their index on the trigger. This camera is to big for that type of hold. When holding it with your fingers curled around the grip, the index finger will be at an odd angle to push down, leading to a unintentional pull of the camera.

-Does the 40mm fit the camera well?
No. It's to small. Why even have it when you already have another 40mm? Is there something specific about that lens that vs the other 40mm?

-Are you planning on buying one based on what you've read about it in the official announcement?
Possibly for the wife, but it will have to focus very well indeed. The price would need to drop to be more competitive with the Sony offereings. If it was weather sealed, my answer would have been yes, even with the short-comings. I have an old Pentax P&S weathersealed camera from the 80's and it was bigger. It was ugly, but very functional. Weathersealing would have seperated it from the herd.

-In buying a camera, how important is the look compared to the features? Very important, somewhat important, or unimportant?
Somewhat important. It needs to be functional first.

-How do you think people who've never heard of Pentax would react to this camera?
I think they will assume its a square DSLR.

Last edited by 7samurai; 02-03-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot the word Pentax
02-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #96
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Not impressed!

This camera seems to have been designed to combine all the disadvantages of both a compact and an SLR. It is almost as big and heavy as an SLR with no viewfinder and no articulated screen. What a lost opportunity.
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How is a person going to use this camera in bright sunlight? The LCD is going to lose that fight all day long.

02-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #98
Veteran Member

From the comments of the design growing on people (me included), I wonder if the results would be different if the same group voted in a week or so.
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I'm ok with throwing the design a 4 of 5, it's not like he HE chose not to include an EVF or include WR features.. compared to so many "retro" camera's hitting the market.. I'm ok with something new.. I would like to hold one to get the feel of it's ergonomics though, that's the biggest measure. I think the shortcomings of this camera are due to Ricoh/Pentax's part, not the designers.

Last edited by Chex; 02-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I'm ok with throwing the design a 4 of 5, it's not he HE chose not to include an EVF or include WR features.. compared to so many "retro" camera's hitting the market.. I'm ok with something new.. I would like to hold one to get the feel of it's ergonomics though, that's the biggest measure. I think the shortcomings of this camera are due to Ricoh/Pentax's part, not the designers.
MN states that EVF wasn't in the design instructions from Pentax.
02-04-2012, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
How is a person going to use this camera in bright sunlight? The LCD is going to lose that fight all day long.
I wonder how the billions of camera users take photos in bright sun with no VF. I have EVF on my Panasonic GH2,GH1, TM700 3MOS camcorder and Canon SX30 IS and have used the LCD instead 90% of the time.
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gave it a 3. Lack of a viewfinder definitely a negative for me. I read in another forum a comment from a Canon user that went something like "Canon/Nikon for serious photography, Pentax for toys". While I disagree with this opinion (uninformed IMHO) I doubt this will do anything to change that line of thinking.
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #103

I gave this a 4/5
Honestly, at first I was a little scared by the design and thought it was just plain odd. Then I thought about all the other boring cameras in the market today and said, "hell yes. This is gorgeous!". I think I identify myself in the 'fashion/design' crowd and in that aspect it's definitely not bad. I love Pentax's choices in "Be Interesting". After having bought myself a stormtrooper K-r, I noticed the way people reacted to it. "Is that a camera? It looks so cool!" Then I show them my pictures and they go wow =D.

Lack of a viewfinder on the K-01 probably isn't a big deal for their target sector anyways. I often lend out my K-r for my friends to "play with" and so far I've only had 2 non-camera enthusiasts regularly using the viewfinder. Over 90% of the people who have used my K-r shoot it essentially as a Point & Shoot even after I point out how to use the viewfinder. They just prefer it that way. I'd say the lack of a viewfinder may even be considered a plus since it simplifies the design significantly even though the old-school crowd may consider it essential.

I actually am seriously considering buying a DA 40mm XS for my K-r if I can't find a used DA 40mm Limited. It matches well with the K-01 minus the lens-cap / filter ring. I swear I would lose that thing in my pocket within 2 weeks =(. I think I'd prefer a fit-over lens-cap like the one on my 10-17mm Fisheye even if it's huge.

Personally, I won't be buying the K-01 simply because I feel that it's not a big enough jump from the K-r. I've gotten accustomed to the OVF now so it's definitely a must in my next camera. If I didn't have the investment I would most definitely be waiting for it though! Buying any Pentax K-mount is opening up to a world of photography regardless of what you do with it. Some people just want to take better pictures and of course from a technical perspective any DSLR is a big jump. But then they'll start to realize that technique is a big part of it too. With better technique, one would surely want to push one's limits and there you have LBA. Of course, if any friend of mine is asking for camera advice again, I'll be sure to point him/her towards the K-01. It might be larger than any other mirrorless but the overall package is a better investment. Unfortunately most of my friends are poor university students so price will definitely be a push but I expect it to be down to $650 before the end of the year.

This is definitely going to be a brand-screamer for Pentax regardless. The Q was hardly known outside the photography circle but I have high expectations for the K-01. It definitely has the potential to change the world. The only question is, will Ricoh be able to convince the world that the K-01 can change it.
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
MN states that EVF wasn't in the design instructions from Pentax.
I missed a word in there.. but that was my point, it was Pentax telling him what he was designing, what the camera did/did not have. The lack of VF and WR sealing is not MN's choice either way.. so as far as the styling goes the camera is visually good IMO.. but I think I would have preferred a shutter "trigger" as to where the shutter button is.. considering the size and ergonomics of the camera
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Thoughts about the camera from outside the photography world -
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174180-opinions-k-01-outside-bubble.html